Cannot receive sms verification code in Xiaomi Bootloader Unlock Tool

welian

Members
Mar 16, 2022
I'm trying to unlock my Xiaomi 12 bootloader, but when I try to log in to the Xiaomi Unlock Tool, it required me to enter a verification code that's supposed to be sent via text messages to my linked US phone number. The verification code never came. I tried a few other numbers and none worked. Did you guys need to receive the text message to verify your account when using the Unlock Tool? If yes, did you use a Chinese phone number or something else? I tried 4 different US numbers and none of them could receive Xiaomi sms. Is there a way around? Thanks!

Reactions: reshpeck
I'm having the same problem, only it's happening upon first startup. I can't even create an account when trying to log in for the first time with a new number.

I used two different versions of Miunlock. I used version 4.5.813.51 in order to get an SMS sent. I also used a Google Voice number. This version might work with any number, but I was well and truly down the rabbit hole by this point. I then switched to version 6.5.406.31 for the unlocking. Because cookies are involved, I was not required to receive another SMS code.

Before attempting to unlock, I made sure that I had a working android bootloader device (version 11.0.0.0 from Google) in Windows device manager by installing it manually and pointing the "browse for files" dialog to the drivers folder of the miunlock version 6. And then I found when it stopped halfway in the unlock, that I needed to boot back to normal, log out of the Mi account, log back in to the Mi account and then go to the Developer options and the dialog for check unlock status. After getting that squared away, booted back into bootloader, connected back to the version 6 (which I left open where it left off) and clicked "try again" and it worked. Oh, I also went to i.mi.com and did the find my phone routine because somebody mentioned they did that to get it all working. This may or may not be necessary, I don't know.

I used two different versions of Miunlock. I used version 4.5.813.51 in order to get an SMS sent. I also used a Google Voice number. This version might work with any number, but I was well and truly down the rabbit hole by this point. I then switched to version 6.5.406.31 for the unlocking. Because cookies are involved, I was not required to receive another SMS code.

Before attempting to unlock, I made sure that I had a working android bootloader device (version 11.0.0.0 from Google) in Windows device manager by installing it manually and pointing the "browse for files" dialog to the drivers folder of the miunlock version 6. And then I found when it stopped halfway in the unlock, that I needed to boot back to normal, log out of the Mi account, log back in to the Mi account and then go to the Developer options and the dialog for check unlock status. After getting that squared away, booted back into bootloader, connected back to the version 6 (which I left open where it left off) and clicked "try again" and it worked. Oh, I also went to i.mi.com and did the find my phone routine because somebody mentioned they did that to get it all working. This may or may not be necessary, I don't know.
Thank you Bobcov. Spent hours figuring this out, but your post was what worked for me.

Same situation here. Tried 3 local SIMs, 3 free SMS overseas service. And never got the SMS.
I always did get the SMS from updating the MI account from my computer's web browser, just not the SMS when trying the unlock tool.
What worked for me: 4.5.813.51 (but could've been -5.5.224.24 - sorry tried so many combinations...)
I entered my phone number (my local SIM#) & password (ticked Trust this device!), and the catcha/web page was slightly different from the newer versions. And the SMS did come through within seconds. Entered it. But for me, there was no unlock option....
Then I closed that version, and opened version 6.5.406.31 . I reentered phone number and pasword. But this time, no SMS was necessary. (cookies??) And I finally got to the unlock screen.

Didn't use VPN, nor Mi cloud. And QR code didn't work either for me.
Now I wait out the 168 hours.

Sheesh. what a hassle.

I tried so many times with miflash_unlock-en-6.5.224.28 but the sms verification code wouldn't send. Finally, I saw that on the top right corner there was an option to click a QR code and scan with the phone. This option is not very obvious because there is only a picture, no words. The QR code scan worked instantly and the sms verification sent.

I tried so many times with miflash_unlock-en-6.5.224.28 but the sms verification code wouldn't send. Finally, I saw that on the top right corner there was an option to click a QR code and scan with the phone. This option is not very obvious because there is only a picture, no words. The QR code scan worked instantly and the sms verification sent.
I use latest Miunlock v. 7.6.727.43.
There is a catch when using it. After clicking on verification with a number, the first window will appear where you need to enter the code from the blue field, cthen click on Submit:
1.jpg
Then will a new window appear where you need to enter the code that will receive via SMS
2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ps000000
I think I tried everything I found on the internet but still I am not receiving a verification code. Can someone help me?

I think I tried everything I found on the internet but still I am not receiving a verification code. Can someone help me?
There is a catch when using it. After clicking on verification with a number, the first window will appear where you need to enter the code from the blue field, cthen click on Submit:
1.jpg
Then will a new window appear where you need to enter the code that will receive via SMS
2.jpg

first, calm down. i know you are frustrated after waiting for a week. Same problem happen to me on the day of the unlock. That is the price you need to pay for buying Xiaomi!

1. if the number of SMS send exceeded. do a Reset password thru phone.
2. Log in via the MI China website. Reset password thru phone.
3. Use Desktop mode at browser, select to receive code via Whatsapp instead of SMS. The whatsapp option will sometimes show up. It is best you try at a desktop computer and not your phone.
4. Close the unlock app tool, open again. Reboot. Keep trying.

first, calm down. i know you are frustrated after waiting for a week. Same problem happen to me on the day of the unlock. That is the price you need to pay for buying Xiaomi!

3. Use Desktop mode at browser, select to receive code via Whatsapp instead of SMS. The whatsapp option will sometimes show up. It is best you try at a desktop computer and not your phone.
Where is this whatsapp option? It should be on Mi China website? I can't find it.

Can you help me with that? I cannot do that and that version doesn't work nowadays. Can you help me?

Where does the Whatsapp option?

Where does the Whatsapp option appear?

The QR code option worked fast for me, versus the sms route.

I used miflash unlock version 7.6.727.43 and I couldn't receive SMS. Clicking on the QR code in the top right corner on login screen, scanning with phone and proceeding on the phone helped me. It send the message to Viber linked with my phone number (message came from NXCLOUD). When I tried sending message from PC, I couldn't get it even on Viber. I haven't received a single SMS after several attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony2580
I used miflash unlock version 7.6.727.43 and I couldn't receive SMS. Clicking on the QR code in the top right corner on login screen, scanning with phone and proceeding on the phone helped me. It send the message to Viber linked with my phone number (message came from NXCLOUD). When I tried sending message from PC, I couldn't get it even on Viber. I haven't received a single SMS after several attempts.
So, you just scanned the QR code and continued on the phone by entering your phone number and requesting the message. Is Viber the purple app that has a phone icon? I'm gonna try this and will let you know if it worked for me. I'd like to try and see if I can receive the code going directly from Mi account settings on my phone having my number linked with Viber.

I believe there is a problem with the desktop app so this is what I did and it worked:

1. Open desktop MiUnlock app and proceed to the sms verification step, leave the app open.
2. Open the file 'config/app.info' and copy the url from "account_login_url" on your browser.
3. On the browser proceed to the sms verification step. When you do this you should receive the sms!!
4. Go back to the desktop MiUnlock app and use the code!

It has to be done on that order otherwise it will not work or it will, I didn't test it.

I hope this work for you guys

same probleme ....
xiaomi save to my old phone number i dont have acces
and id.mi.com was with my mail and phone wasnt associated .....
i think get a virus ,i wiped in recovery and idk how to unlock it now ...
calamity xiaomi

same probleme ....
xiaomi save to my old phone number i dont have acces
and id.mi.com was with my mail and phone wasnt associated .....
i think get a virus ,i wiped in recovery and idk how to unlock it now ...
calamity xiaomi
Did you use Xiaomi Unlock Tool V2 and tried unlocking it? That tool doesn't require the bootloader to be unlocked.