Invalid Cell Broadcast on Xiaomi 12 "silent"

kingspride

Members
Dec 8, 2022
Today, we had a national emergency test in germany.
it was carried out via Cell Broadcast. Which I received on my Phone.

But I have a small bug to report:
my phone was in vibrate only mode, as usual. the Cell Broadcast should override this setting and let the phone ring loudly.
But it didnt - it just vibrated.
After All, these Broadcasts are meant to wake everybody up...
At least at the highest warning level.

Also, I noticed that I am missing the emergency notification menu from the settings. I can search for it, but it wont open when clicking it.

can these things get fixed in a newer release?

I can provide more information if needed.

edit:
Im on stable MIUI 13.0.41
right image: here, the settings for emergency alerts are missing
1670502664377.jpg1670502664386.jpg

and heres a video of me trying to open the settings from the search results...

thanks in advance,
a happy EU ROM user ;)

Last edited:
As much as I would love to help with this, I'm unsure how we're supposed to debug that, it's not like we can send ourselves dummy emergency broadcasts on demand.
Also, don't know why you're getting that layout for Safety & emergency, it's different on my Xiaomi 12, although I'm using Android 13 (but it looks the same on Android 12 on my Redmi K50 Pro).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-08-18-46-25-798_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-08-18-46-25-798_com.android.settings.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 173
Same here on Mi11Ultra. Latest weekly. The warning was silent. Also there isn't much in "Safety & Emergency"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-08-17-52-04-571_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-08-17-52-04-571_com.android.settings.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 112
As you can see, I can't reproduce the missing settings, and I have no way of testing emergency broadcasts on-demand.

Also, as far as I understand, a Android 11+ Device should utilize a Google Play Updateable SystemApp for Cell Broadcasts
so theoretically everybody gets the same App directly from Google instead of the OEM :emoji_thinking:

Actual, the xiaomi.eu rom only contains the possibility to turn earthquake alert on / off...

For example, if I'm doing a search in settingsmenu for "Notfall" (=emergency), I'm getting the Menü is showed. But if you tap on it, there's no action...

Attachments

• IMG_20221208_201403.jpg
    IMG_20221208_201403.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Google supplies some information about Cell Broadcast, maybe it helps you?
I can Google very well, thank you.

Also Im not sure why but my post about where I got my ROM (here in this forum) got deleted ...
Because what ROM you have is already visible in your screenshot. Needless chatter.

Also, as far as I understand, a Android 11+ Device should utilize a Google Play Updateable SystemApp for Cell Broadcasts
so theoretically everybody gets the same App directly from Google instead of the OEM :emoji_thinking:
Only devices with full Google Network Stack, which we don't use, since we use MIUI's native network stack.

Actual, the xiaomi.eu rom only contains the possibility to turn earthquake alert on / off...

For example, if I'm doing a search in settingsmenu for "Notfall" (=emergency), I'm getting the Menü is showed. But if you tap on it, there's no action...
Everything shows fine here...

There's an "Always alert at full volume" toggle in Wireless emergency alerts screen, but it's disabled by Google themselves by default and only shown for 2 specific operators.
Even without the switch visible, it's force-enabled by specific types of emergency alerts, defined on a per-operator basis.

Reactions: JiaiJ
Everything shows fine here...

There's an "Always alert at full volume" toggle in Wireless emergency alerts screen, but it's disabled by Google themselves by default and only shown for 2 specific operators.
https://cs.android.com/android/platform/superproject/+/master:packages/apps/CellBroadcastReceiver/res/values/config.xml;l=18 Even without the switch visible, it's force-enabled by specific types of emergency alerts, defined on a per-operator basis
Thanks Igor for replying and thats another point - there's no wireless emergency alerts screen... As shown in the Screenshot from first post...

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_073827.jpg
    IMG_20221209_073827.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thanks Igor for replying and thats another point - there's no wireless emergency alerts screen... As shown in the Screenshot from first post...
Then make a log while accessing that screen.
To me it looks like Wireless emergency alerts app is not installed or disabled.