Change from weekly to stable / outdated security patch level

schwand

Members
Apr 13, 2021
Hi there,

since beta program for Mi Mix 2s stopped, i got the latest weekly build on mine (20.9.4).
Last week a new stable version was released (12.0.3.0). Before updating, i have a few questions:

1. Since the new stable is more than six month „younger“, can i dirty flash it over the last weekly? (i know, normally this is not possible)
2.Can someone share some experience with the new stable build? Most important for me: Does Google Pay still work (with Magisk)?
3. I'm pretty satisfied with the latest weekly (which is already over 6 month old), but I'm wondering how "dangerous" it is to stay on the old android security patch level (from 2020-09-01).
4. Is there another way to update security level (which is on vendor rom, right?) without changing the system rom?

Thanks for your replies!

Hi there,

since beta program for Mi Mix 2s stopped, i got the latest weekly build on mine (20.9.4).
Last week a new stable version was released (12.0.3.0). Before updating, i have a few questions:

1. Since the new stable is more than six month „younger“, can i dirty flash it over the last weekly? (i know, normally this is not possible)
2.Can someone share some experience with the new stable build? Most important for me: Does Google Pay still work (with Magisk)?
3. I'm pretty satisfied with the latest weekly (which is already over 6 month old), but I'm wondering how "dangerous" it is to stay on the old android security patch level (from 2020-09-01).
4. Is there another way to update security level (which is on vendor rom, right?) without changing the system rom?

Thanks for your replies!
1. No. Although the security patch is newer on the Stable, which means you will probably not bootloop, the codebase on that Stable is still a lot older than the codebase on that Weekly from September 2020. V12.0.3.0 is MIUI 12, while 20.9.4 was a transitional release to MIUI 12.1 (our naming, officially only MIUI 12 and MIUI 12.5 exist). So even if you manage to boot, you will still have apps crashing (either in the foreground or the background, or both).
For example, I was on latest Weekly for Mi 8, then I dirty-flashed the newest Stable that was released months after that Weekly, and while it booted, I saw plenty of background crashes related to telephony provider due to older database versions supported by that Stable. So no, clean flash is the only safe option.
2. Can't answer that since I'm not a Mi MIX 2S user.
3. Vague question, nobody knows the actual specifics of each security patch update.
4. No.

as now the miui 12.5.1 stable is out, is it possible to do a dirty flash over the weekly from last year 20.9.4 ? (i think that the stable now is newert than the weekly in the codebase, as the number show right?)