Connect Xiaomi MI2 to Linux laptop

g0mib0y

Members
Feb 1, 2012
Hi!
I just got my MI2 from China and have a small issue. When I connect it via USB to my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 I can chose two modes, photo or file share. If I chose Photo I get access to all my pictures from DCIM and Picturs folder. If I chose File all I get is a 4MB share with install files for windows and Mac. Anyone know how to access the "user memory" on the device? I have no interest at the moment to install devel version of ROM but there must be some way or?
Now I have to connect it using "Photo" mode and put my files there (like mp3) then use the built in filemanager to move it to Music folder.

Hi!
I just got my MI2 from China and have a small issue. When I connect it via USB to my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 I can chose two modes, photo or file share. If I chose Photo I get access to all my pictures from DCIM and Picturs folder. If I chose File all I get is a 4MB share with install files for windows and Mac. Anyone know how to access the "user memory" on the device? I have no interest at the moment to install devel version of ROM but there must be some way or?
Now I have to connect it using "Photo" mode and put my files there (like mp3) then use the built in filemanager to move it to Music folder.

Not sure about the Linux drivers. but I guess you can use the built in ftp server for most of the tasks.
Open the mi file explore (default file browser on mi2) , at bottom you will see the option to start ftp server. Once you start it, it'll give you the ftp address and port. On windows I can put this address in file browser. I think it will work in Linux too. Laptop and your phone should be connected to same router. Now you can do the common file operations.
In the meantime you can search for proper Linux drivers.

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Not sure about the Linux drivers. but I guess you can use the built in ftp server for most of the tasks.
Open the mi file explore (default file browser on mi2) , at bottom you will see the option to start ftp server. Once you start it, it'll give you the ftp address and port. On windows I can put this address in file browser. I think it will work in Linux too. Laptop and your phone should be connected to same router. Now you can do the common file operations.
In the meantime you can search for proper Linux drivers.

Sent from my Xiaomi M2
Thank you!!! I didn't know about this function. Works great!

Search with Google : Ubuntu enable MTP.

Ive connected my Nexus 7 with this as this device has also both USB modes: MTP and PTP.

Sent from my MIUI Nexus S Jelly Bean.

You can also go to ~/.android/adb_usb.ini
Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x2717

Should fix adb for Xiaomi MI2 on Ubuntu.

As a Linux user I recommend airdroit as for USB google gomtpfs and you find instructions

Sent from my Nexus S