Disadvantages of unlocking BL

Meteorrain

Members
Mar 16, 2024
Hi there, I'm new here and I have been reading quite some posts about unlocking the BL to install a EU ROM. But I've seen some posts here and there of people saying that an unlocked BL will cause problems over time. Is that true? Do you neem to lock it again? But if you lock it you won't be able to install newer ROM.

You can't use the EU ROM and lock the bootloader, you would have to go back to the original ROM.

The most obvious disadvantage is that many high security applications (specifically banks) check if the bootloader is unlocked. This issue is mitigated by the Xiaomi.eu GPay module, but you need to keep it updated, and some applications still detect an unlocked bootloader.

The other part that the phone can be more easily hacked in theory, but in most cases, it requires physical access, so the risk is limited.

The most obvious disadvantage is that many high security applications (specifically banks) check if the bootloader is unlocked. This issue is mitigated by the Xiaomi.eu GPay module, but you need to keep it updated, and some applications still detect an unlocked bootloader.

The other part that the phone can be more easily hacked in theory, but in most cases, it requires physical access, so the risk is limited.
Thanks for the info! The Gpay module is integrated in the EU ROM right? It's not a seperate installation?

The module is integrated in the ROM, but it needs to be updated in case of problems with GPay.

Screenshot_2024-03-18-12-21-32-548_com.android.updater.jpg
You download the app > install/update > reboot your device.

The module is integrated in the ROM, but it needs to be updated in case of problems with GPay.

View attachment 51891

View attachment 51891
And where can you download this update file? Or is it prompted by your device if there's a newer version?

After all, I showed you an image where you can download the module.
It's in the "Update" app. Or you can set a browser alert for this page.

After all, I showed you an image where you can download the module.
It's in the "Update" app. Or you can set a browser alert for this page.
Yeah I don't recognize this image, haven't seen it on my device. Or maybe this image is only available in the EU ROM which I haven't installed yet. But thanks for the explanation.