Does anyone have a working "N" wireless connection ?

RuneRuler

Members
Feb 21, 2013
I`m testing a wfi dongle on my PC - i have no issues and get my full 70 MB download,
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2527660814.png
But my MI2 have no Chance of staying connected UNLESS i go to "g" which is rock solid.

I have the same issue on a huawei running Gingerbread 2.3.7 as well as MI2 on 3.2.8

...so its an Android thing it seems?

Reactions: Loopins
Seems like i fixed my own problem - at least partially.

The culprit, found after some hard googeling:

"
Enable WMM
WMM (Wireless Multimedia) is a subset of the 802.11e standard. WMM allows wireless traffic to have a range of priorities, depending on the kind of data. Time-dependent information, like video or audio, will have a higher priority than normal traffic. For WMM to function correctly, Wireless clients must also support WMM.
I disabled it and from this moment the Wifi Problem was fixed and now the Internet connection through wifi is super fast."

I do not get the 70 MBps as i get from the usb dongle, but the phone stays connected wile under "N" only,and delivers around 20 MBps.

Pondering this abit more;

20-23 MBps is actually not acceptable. I get the exact same speed on "g" only as i do on "n".

So - Its not a local network issue, as i get the full 70 MBps on a "n" usb dongle.
Its not an MIUI issue, as i get similar top speeds on Gingerbread 2.3.7
Its not a MI2 issue as i have the same speed restriction on the Huawei as on Mi2

SO - Unless smartphone WiFi is inherently weak, this must be an Android issue, AFAICT.

I would love some input from people on N networks - I use http://speedtest.net/ - what WiFi "n" speed do you guys get irrespective of devices?

Speedtest.net tests your internet speed not your lan speed to my knowledge...so I assume you are referring to what your internet speed is? I don't have a 70mbps internet speed or anywhere near 20mbps to be able to test this.

Anyway the WMM info was useful thanks..solved my wifes ipad disconnect issues.

Cool that I could be of some assistance ( make sure i get the credit with your wife :p )

And yeah, I`m testing online, but a local test would be just as valid to see (if any) the limitation of max wifi throughput on handheld devices.
I'm a bit baffled by this....

Keeping up with my little monolog, I have done further research:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

Gist of it:

Basically, the 802.11n spec requires devices to support 802.11e (Quality of Service [QoS] enhancements for wireless LAN) in order to use HT (High Throughput) link rates, i.e. higher than 54 Mbps. (WMM is a subset of 802.11e that was created by the Wi-Fi Alliance as a stop-gap measure while 802.11e made its way slowly through the IEEE review process.) WMM's Traffic Identifier (TID) field is key to aggregation mechanisms, including block acknowledgement (block ACK), that enable 802.11n's high throughput rates.
Since WMM support is required for products to be certified for 802.11n, WMM comes enabled by defaultin all Wi-Fi Certified n APs and wireless routers. So even if you don't have any WMM-aware devices on your network, leave WMM enabled or you may find your clients connecting only at 54 Mbps rates.

So the issue here: either a lack of support or a failure of the device to support VMM.
VMM support is essential to get "n" troughput.

For anyone actually reading this I can not get a stable connection with VMM ENABLED on the router with any (of my 2) Android phones.