New Dual sim card crashes "com.android.phone" and reboots system. MIUI 13 Stable, Redmi Note 10 Pro

mofumofu

Members
Jan 31, 2022
I was using MIUI 12.6 before just upgrading it to 13 stable.

I have two SIM card in my phone, SWEET. After their service were activated, they kept reconnecting and disconnecting.
A pop-up shows up indicating that "com.android.phone" has been crashing.
Code:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=0; index=0
    at com.android.phone.networkmode.NetworkModeHandlerAllSlot.updateNetworkTypeIfNeeded(Unknown Source:176)
    at com.android.phone.networkmode.NetworkModeHandlerBase.handleMessage(Unknown Source:19)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Unknown Source:19)
    at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Unknown Source:176)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Unknown Source:76)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(Unknown Source:138)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(Unknown Source:11)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(Unknown Source:306)

After one minute, my system reboots. This later on reboots into TWRP recovery.

I tried removing SIM cards from my phone.
- No crashes without SIM card.
- No crashes when only one SIM is loaded.
- When two are loaded at the same time, the issue only occurs when one specific SIM card has been selected for data. (The other one works normally)

Log cat uploaded to MEGA:
log_sweet_V13.0.2.0.SKFMIXM.txt

I have cleared data and cache for phone app and permission app. Neither solved the issue.
This post may describes a similar issue, although I couldn't understand how they fixed it.

Last edited:
oh yes i have the same bug, i have english(US) later of take off the other sim card, no reboots anymore, before of remove sim card, my phone crashes constatle reboot maybe all the time, in poco f3, i clean everything but always reboot

I was using MIUI 12.6 before just upgrading it to 13 stable.

I have two SIM card in my phone, SWEET. After their service were activated, they kept reconnecting and disconnecting.
A pop-up shows up indicating that "com.android.phone" has been crashing.
Code:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=0; index=0
    at com.android.phone.networkmode.NetworkModeHandlerAllSlot.updateNetworkTypeIfNeeded(Unknown Source:176)
    at com.android.phone.networkmode.NetworkModeHandlerBase.handleMessage(Unknown Source:19)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Unknown Source:19)
    at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Unknown Source:176)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Unknown Source:76)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(Unknown Source:138)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(Unknown Source:11)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(Unknown Source:306)

After one minute, my system reboots. This later on reboots into TWRP recovery.

I tried removing SIM cards from my phone.
- No crashes without SIM card.
- No crashes when only one SIM is loaded.
- When two are loaded at the same time, the issue only occurs when one specific SIM card has been selected for data. (The other one works normally)

Log cat uploaded to MEGA:
log_sweet_V13.0.2.0.SKFMIXM.txt

I have cleared data and cache for phone app and permission app. Neither solved the issue.
This post may describes a similar issue, although I couldn't understand how they fixed it.
I had same issue with Mi 12 13.0.23 stable,
How did you solve it?

I had same issue with Mi 12 13.0.23 stable,
How did you solve it?
I've not solved the issue yet. Had to take one of the sim card out so I can use the system properly. It's still annoying as it basically killed the dual sim card feature.

Reactions: tuhm14
Did anyone make any progress here? Which network sim was being used?
Found this same issue with brand new Xiaomi 12 Pro with "EE" sim cards, multiple devices - 13.0.14 EEA (stock ROM)
Also happens on Mi 11 running V13.0.4 - but didn't occure when it was running V12.5.x
Sim works fine in other non-Xiaomi Android 12 devices

Did anyone make any progress here? Which network sim was being used?
Found this same issue with brand new Xiaomi 12 Pro with "EE" sim cards, multiple devices - 13.0.14 EEA (stock ROM)
Also happens on Mi 11 running V13.0.4 - but didn't occure when it was running V12.5.x
Sim works fine in other non-Xiaomi Android 12 devices
for me, fail in poco f3 v 12.5 and i try to install latest feature weekly 22.4.13 to see if fail

for me the update xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK40_POCOF3_22.4.13_v13-12-fastboot working good 2 sim cards, but start fail wifi and instagram crashes, instagram lite working good, before of update instagram working good, later of update fail always

Updated to V13.0.7.0.SKFMIXM Stable, the issue still persists, rendering the dual SIM card feature unusable.

Same here, Xiaomi 12 pro stable rom 13.0.30.
Did you find solution?
No. I had to load one SIM card only as to keep my phone running.
Having to exchange SIM card for a verification SMS is very annoying.

CMLink is one of them, and the one causing errors when selected for data.
I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the issue though.

SOLUTION or better, a workaround:
1: turn phone to aeroplane mode (turns off SIM usage)
2: insert the two SIMs
3: at this point, "com.android.phone" should NOT crash
4:goto "Settings\Sim and mobile networks" (or something similiar, my language is not English)
5: Turn ON "Dual 4G" (this is the culprit! If you disable this, the phone process will crash and the phone will reboot shortly)
6: remove aero mode. The two SIM should work now.

This method saved me. Tested on Miui 13.0.4 (but on Mi 11 lite, I guess settings are similiar)
Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
SOLUTION or better, a workaround:
1: turn phone to aeroplane mode (turns off SIM usage)
2: insert the two SIMs
3: at this point, "com.android.phone" should NOT crash
4:goto "Settings\Sim and mobile networks" (or something similiar, my language is not English)
5: Turn ON "Dual 4G" (this is the culprit! If you disable this, the phone process will crash and the phone will reboot shortly)
6: remove aero mode. The two SIM should work now.

This method saved me. Tested on Miui 13.0.4 (but on Mi 11 lite, I guess settings are similiar)
Hope it works for you.
It solved the issue for me! Thank you so much for sharing this!

I MADE IT!!!! FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION!
I am not sure if this is an official solution or is working fine just for now but anyways i wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone..
I flashed my redmi 9t (2021-2022) to miui 14 and it rebooted because of the same error.. com.phone.android still failing, tried many ROMS from many pages and none worked. It seems you cant flash your device using miui 12.5, 13, 14 if your device is not meant to do so. mine was using miui 12 and after a long research i found a miui 12 ROM and once i flashed it my device recognized both my sims at the same time :emoji_smile:
This took me a lot of time to find because i was sure my previous miui was 13 but after trying a lot of updates finally found the solution by accident, i was dowgrading my miui to adapt it to a custom ROM :,)
Its been only minutes but im so happy to finally found a solution that i couldnt resist to share this!!!
Another solution might be use a custom ROM, sadly i havent tried it yet since my device doesnt support twrp or orange fox :,(
Anyways i hope someone will find this usefull. Good night everyone im going to rest after 3 long nights trying to find a solution

P.S: My native language is not english, trully hope no one get mad at me.