Error when booting in TWRP "Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Bad Buffer Size"

jo253

Members
Apr 20, 2016
Hi,
have a question for the experts :)
I wanted to update my Mi12 to the new stable.
I went into fastboot as usual and wanted to boot into TWRP via ADB.
I loaded the current one (twrp-3.6.2_12-v6.3_A12-cupid-skkk.img)from the Xiaomi.eu site and then renamed it to TWRP.
Then I did the steps as seen in the CMD.
1667807346423.png

After that, nothing worked. (Sweat). Have the error googled but found nothing.
Why does not work, where is the error, but has otherwise always worked?
Then I searched for an old version and found this. twrp-3.6.2_12-v3.9_A12-cupid-unofficialtwrp
With that it booted back into TWRP and I was able to install the stable rom.
1667807442018.png

With the version it has then booted back into TWRP and I could install the stable Rom.
Thank God now everything worked again, but why does the current TWRP not work?
Has anyone ever had this?
Regards
jo253

The problem was that you used TWRP, which is intended for installation, not for booting.

Command to install (REC)TWRP:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img

BOOT / REC TWRP for some devices
For some devices there are different TWRPs available
1.) BOOT-TWRP -> fastboot boot twrp - boot TWRP only
2.) REC-TWRP -> fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img - install TWRP permanent
3.) BOOT-REC-TWRP -> you can use both fastboot commands -> see 1.) & 2.)

Reactions: jo253
Ok, that means I have to install it and not boot from it.
Then I will give that a try.
Thanks for the info

have found the error, I loaded the TWRP from the site Xiaomi.eu and there is nothing about boot and REC.
1667824981219.png

On the other side of skkk that there is boot TWRP and REC TWRP.
No idea what then that is for a TWRP on the linked page of Katerpanne.

Reactions: katerpanne
Unfortunately, I made the same mistake and created the image
twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-diting-skkk.img
via fastboot boot twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-diting-skkk.img
installed.

Now my Xiaomi 12T Pro (Installed xiaomi.eu_multi_DITING_V13.0.7.0.SLFCNXM_v13-12-fastboot.zip) is running in FASTBOOT loop.
Currently there are no images available for download at https://dl.akr-developers.com/?dir=skkk/TWRP/A12/.

When I ditting the files for my smartphone
[BOOT]3.6.2_12-RedmiK50Ultra_v6.3_A12-diting-skkk_0868fc7f.zip
[BOOT]3.6.2_12-RedmiK50Ultra_v6.2_A12-diting-skkk_062ba6dc.zip
get and unzip the ZIPs, what command I need to run to finally boot in TWRP, then into the system to recover my data?

Unfortunately the command works
fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-diting-skkk.img
as shown in the picture, does not work.

Please help me!

Many thanks
Tenker

EDIT:
Now I have also tried the two TWRP via
fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp-3.6.2_A12-diting-skkk.img
oder
fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-diting-skkk.img
fastboot.exe reboot recovery
to install them.
It also worked, but I can not get out of the FASTBOOT.

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 912
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
Reactions: Azumatz
I've made the same mistake as well, on a Poco F4 GT/K50 Gaming (ingres). I tried to install the twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-ingres-skkk.img with these commands "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" and "fastboot boot twrp.img" but now I'm stuck in a bootloop at Fastboot. Could need some help as well.

EDIT:
Thanks Tenker, you helped me quite a bit with that.
fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp.img
did the job for me, after that I connected the phone to my pc, put the twrp.img on the phone and installed it via advanced > install recovery ramdisk, and after that I flashed xiaomi.eu_multi_INGRES_V13.0.11.0.SLJCNXM_v13-12.zip again to get rid of the bootloop, now everything is working again.
Thank you

Last edited:
@Azumatz

Were you after the command
in TWRP?
Unfortunately TWRP does not start for me.

Did you not lose any data?

Yes, after I performed "fastboot.exe reboot recovery" the recovery booted up for me. I didn't lost any data because I didnt wiped the phone. I just flashed the rom again. To be fair I had the xiaomi.eu 13.0.11 rom installed before.

Can you please help me further?
I have executed the commands (according to my image 5).
But then was further only FASTBOOT to see!

So once again
and wait?

Reboot the phone, it'll automaticly boot in FASTBOOT, after that connect it to a PC and perform the "fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A12-diting-skkk.img" command. After that is done you perform "fastboot.exe reboot recovery". You should end up being in TWRP.

made but I continue to see only FASTBOOT on the screen of my smartphone

Attachments

• Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
Yes, the solution I posted before was almost complete.

I used one of the fastboot versions (in my case xiaomi.eu_multi_ingres_v13.0.10.0.sljcnxm_v13-12-fastboot.zip, use the one that applys to your phone it must have fastboot at the end) of the xiaomi.eu Rom to fix the bootloop. I rebooted the phone, it automaticly booted into Fastboot mode, then I connected it via USB to my computer and started the windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat (dont use the first install one, the first install one wipes your phone)
After its done, your phone will reboot, but it'll load indefinetly on the home screen, to fix that, you'll go back into Fastboot mode. Perform "fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp.img" and after that "fastboot.exe reboot recovery" once thats done you should end up being in twrp, from there you need to change the language from chinese to english, and after that you put the twrp.img on the phone and install it via advanced > install recovery ramdisk. Once that's done you can install the latest xiaomi.eu version.

Reactions: Flipp
Yes, the solution I posted before was almost complete.

I used one of the fastboot versions (in my case xiaomi.eu_multi_ingres_v13.0.10.0.sljcnxm_v13-12-fastboot.zip, use the one that applys to your phone it must have fastboot at the end) of the xiaomi.eu Rom to fix the bootloop. I rebooted the phone, it automaticly booted into Fastboot mode, then I connected it via USB to my computer and started the windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat (dont use the first install one, the first install one wipes your phone)
After its done, your phone will reboot, but it'll load indefinetly on the home screen, to fix that, you'll go back into Fastboot mode. Perform "fastboot.exe flash recovery twrp.img" and after that "fastboot.exe reboot recovery" once thats done you should end up being in twrp, from there you need to change the language from chinese to english, and after that you put the twrp.img on the phone and install it via advanced > install recovery ramdisk. Once that's done you can install the latest xiaomi.eu version.
Thanks. I flashed the fastboot version for 12sU (13.0.8) and it worked. It already included TWRP so I was able to use the updater app to update to the lastest version.

Reactions: Azumatz
Hi,
have a question for the experts :)
I wanted to update my Mi12 to the new stable.
I went into fastboot as usual and wanted to boot into TWRP via ADB.
I loaded the current one (twrp-3.6.2_12-v6.3_A12-cupid-skkk.img)from the Xiaomi.eu site and then renamed it to TWRP.
Then I did the steps as seen in the CMD.
View attachment 44619
After that, nothing worked. (Sweat). Have the error googled but found nothing.
Why does not work, where is the error, but has otherwise always worked?
Then I searched for an old version and found this. twrp-3.6.2_12-v3.9_A12-cupid-unofficialtwrp
With that it booted back into TWRP and I was able to install the stable rom.
View attachment 44620
With the version it has then booted back into TWRP and I could install the stable Rom.
Thank God now everything worked again, but why does the current TWRP not work?
Has anyone ever had this?
Regards
jo253
Dude, this error has happened to me too. Then after restarting the phone in fastboot mode and trying several times it worked

Situation of my MI 12 pro before:
TWRP - twrp-3.6.2_12-v6.3_A13-zeus-skkk.img
xiaomi.eu_multi_XM12Pro_V13.2.7.0.TLBCNXM_v13-13-fastboot.zip
Android 13 MIUI 13

MIUI 14 was available, so I thought it's good when I upgrade to TWRP - twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A13-zeus-skkk.img.

I installed TWRP with "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A13-zeus-skkk.img".
Then I typed "fastboot boot twrp-3.7.0_12-v6.5_A13-zeus-skkk.img".

But after this, the error message above appears and it's still in fastboot.

Restarting the phone (often) doesn't helps, always the fastboot came. Tried also to install the "old" TWRP version again but same error.
Can't be a mistake using "fastboot flash recovery twrp..." instead of "fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp...". I've read the recovery_ab is just for permanent installation.
Last try was install with the new TWRP and recovery_ab but again no luck.

What to do now? .... my new phone (soft)broken?
So I installed the new rom xiaomi.eu_multi_XM12Pro_V14.0.4.0.TLBCNXM_v14-13-fastboot.zip with the windows_fastboot_update_rom.bat.

Luckily no error during installation, booting into device was fine :)
Next thing I checked was TWRP...is it possible to boot into? And yes, it is - it has the version 3.7.0_12-v6.5_A13.

Seems during installation of the rom, something was fixed that I can boot into TWRP without problems. Now I'm just afraid to install an newer version of TWRP though at moment it is not necessary.

Now I have Android 13 MIUI 14
Will keep an eye at my phone ;)

Hy! Hm pfpfpfp
0. 12t Pro_codaneme: diting (xiaomi.eu_multi_DITING_V14.0.22.12.26.DEV_v14-13-fastboot)
1. Fastboot mod -> USB -> PC -> windows_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format
2. Rom start...
3. Reboot fastboot
4. Fastboot mod -> USB -> PC ->
- fastboot devices (ok)
- fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img (ok)
- fastboot reboot recovery (PC ok, Phone Fastboot mode, nothing happens.)
5. Phone -> power button.... (Phone Fastboot mode, nothing happens.) BOOTLOOP ???
6. Fastboot mod -> USB -> PC -> windows_fastboot_update_rom (xiaomi.eu_multi_DITING_V14.0.22.12.26.DEV_v14-13-fastboot)
7. Code starts. Code is running.
8. TWRP started! WTF ?? Hee ??

Can someone tell me why TWRP started like this?
thx.

Enter these commands.
Code:
fastboot erase misc
fastboot set_active a
fastboot reboot recovery

Reactions: mr_efe
Enter these commands.
Code:
fastboot erase misc
fastboot set_active a
fastboot reboot recovery
fastboot flash recovery_ab recovery.img
fastboot reboot recovery

Hi, i wrote this two commands, but i get "unknown reboot recovery target" error. I tried to fastboot erase misc and fastboot set_active a commands. but got same error after "fastboot reboot recovery". I stucked in fastboot secreen.

Please help me, thanks

i got this after trying install MIUI 14 via TWRP. i was in fastboot loop. fastboot boot twrp.img produced the error.

my answer:
run the fastboot install.bat from a fastboot rom
(it reboot to recovery)
put back to fastboot mode, then type fastboot boot twrp.img

this time it worked. then, use twrp to install the last rom that worked. and also choose the "install twrp" option since i have SD888 device. all working again

Hi!
Xiaomi 12t Pro, codename: diting.
They acted according to the description and unfortunately for some reason the phone restarts in fastboot after the "fastboot reboot recovery" command.
What problems could there be?
lnik: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/installing-a-custom-recovery.67841/
I tried the suggestion below the link.
I have the latest TWRP.
The system won't start!
"MI logo"... and Fastboot only.
(xiaomi.eu_multi_DITING_V14.0.23.1.3.DEV_v14-13)

This worked for me;