New Fingerprint reader not working anymore after miui 12 update on Mi9 lite

piotr469

Members
May 5, 2020
I used my Mi 9 lite with MIUI 11 xiaomi.eu beta 19.12.26 ROM, but a few days ago xiaomi.eu MIUI 12 just came out so I wanted to try it out.
I had twrp which couldn't decrypt the data so I had to change the recovery to the latest orange fox first.
I flashed MIUI 12 straight from recovery but I got bootloop. So I made a format data and wipe dalvik, cache, and data. Then I installed ROM again.
It booted properly to the system and I had to make an initial android setup. The problem was I couldn't make this configuration.
When it comes to adding a fingerprint, it reacts to touch and lights up but it is not reading or saving the fingerprint. And with MIUI 12 you just can't skip this step so there was no way to get into desktop.

So I went into recovery again, made format data and wipe dalvik, cache, and data, and after that, I've installed previous MIUI 11 ROM. Even made the next format and wipe right after installation.
MIUI 11 makes you able to skip adding a password and fingerprint so I got into desktop but the fingerprint reader still doesn't work. It is not usable anymore.
Before the MIUI 12 update, it worked flawlessly, even right before update like 5 minutes or so. I never had any issues with it.

You can try SELinux mode changer (rooted) to change from enforcing to permissive. The problem would probably be fixed. I've encountered the same problem many times. Hope this can help.

Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. Tried switching between permissive and enforcing with rebooting also, but still no reaction on a fingerprint reader.

I'm having a similar issue on MIUI 12 Stable with K20 Pro. When you try to access the fingerprint option in settings, the OS crashes back to boot splash screen. I do have magisk installed.

Last edited:
I have the exactly same problem with figerprint. When I'm about to register it the device reboots.
I downloaded MIUI 12 directly from device settings.
[Mi 9T pro]

Unfortunately, I am also facing the problem to set up the fingerprint on my sister's phone after updating the miui 12. Her device is Mi 9 Lite and I installed the orange fox recovery and deleted the data before performing the system update, but now I could not find a solution to this problem, even returning to MIUI 11 can not configure the fingerprints.