• Ye

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheRareGamer

Members
Feb 29, 2020
Right so, I wanted to unlock my phone but I am worried I might lose some of the features I love about it.

I currently have mi 10 pro with the CHN ROM (bought it in china)
I am really annoyed by the sheer amount of bloatware it comes with...

As far as I read the miui (EU) gives you the benefits of both global and the chn (chn being the quick updates)... Are those updates seamless? Or do I have to reflash the phone every time the forums get updated?

I use google pay really often will it be a possibility to do so after I flash the phone / unlock it?

The unlocker said "fingerprint id will not be as reliable" is that true?

I would like to know your opinion on if one should flash their phone...

if I were to flash it, I would use the Miui 12 beta...

I unlocked mine because of the disgustingly poor photo quality (oversharpened, muddy, oil painting like photos) to try to get the sharpness setting back in the mi stock camera app by editing config files... (that didn't work) and then using gcaam to take photos with all the sensor (that sorta worked).

Anyways, after unlocking mine I lost google pay, one of my banking app and netflix...fingerprint seemed to work.
So, I relocked it. I can't lose google pay and my bank apps.

I unlocked mine because of the disgustingly poor photo quality (oversharpened, muddy, oil painting like photos) to try to get the sharpness setting back in the mi stock camera app by editing config files... (that didn't work) and then using gcaam to take photos with all the sensor (that sorta worked).

Anyways, after unlocking mine I lost google pay, one of my banking app and netflix...fingerprint seemed to work.
So, I relocked it. I can't lose google pay and my bank apps.
Everything is working fine on xiaomi.eu ROMs, even with unlocked bootloader. ;)

To the OP: Yes I recommend you to use Stable xiaomi.eu ROM - Camera may not work in current Weekly ROM - on your device, you will like it. :)

EDIT: And you can update xiaomi.eu ROM version with the build-in System updater.

To the OP: Yes I recommend you to use Stable xiaomi.eu ROM - Camera may not work in current Weekly ROM - on your device, you will like it. :)

EDIT: And you can update xiaomi.eu ROM version with the build-in System updater.

Thank you for the reply, I am waiting now 6 days till I can unlock my phone haha

I am considering the options as well. My uncertainty comes from this article https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/11/safetynet-improvements-kill-magisk-hide/

AFAIK: SafetyNet (the service provided by Google Services) tries to check if a) device is rooted and/or b) device has an unlocked bootloader. (The latter check has not been fully utilised yet.) If so, it will be able to tell the banking apps the phone is potentially not "safe".

Ad a) Seems to be worked around by Magisk Hide hack (not necessarily needed in xiaomi.eu ROM.
Ad b) Once Google decides to knock off unlocked devices, there does not seem a way to hack that... (As of today.)

Xiaomi EU ROMs need an unlocked bootloader, otherwise the phone will not boot... So now it depends on whether Google will go the hard way switching off anyone on custom ROMs. Even if someone finds a hack, there will certainly be a temporary service unavailability for Google Pay et al.

P.S. https://developer.android.com/training/safetynet/attestation

Device Status

Certified, genuine device that passes CTS

Certified device with unlocked bootloader

Genuine but uncertified device, such as when the manufacturer doesn't apply for certification

Device with custom ROM (not rooted)

Emulator

No device (such as a protocol emulating script)

Signs of system integrity compromise, one of which may be rooting

Signs of other active attacks, such as API hooking

Obvious disclaimer: I am not a developer and welcome expert's opinion on this topic.

I am a "heavy user" of those particular apps... Netflix Banking and Google pay... If I lose them I'll rather not unlock and flash my phone... I need confirmation that it works but if not oh well what ever

on my note 5 pro, unlocked and rooted, everything is fine with eu rom or global xiaomi roms.

on my note 8t, once unlocked, on xiaomi global rom: netflix and banking apps stop working. couldn't try EU rom because there is no miui 12 eu rom yet.

on my note 10 (europe), once unlocked, on global rom, netflix and banking apps stopped working. didn't even bother trying any other rom.