New Google Services Battery Drain In All Miui 8 Roms

spixel

Members
Jul 4, 2014
If you have the following settings

Location set to High accuracy or battery saver (So google location services are active)
+
Location History disabled

You will get severe battery drain by Google Play Services/Android System. Since the very first MIUI 8 rom and up to the very latest. Also affects performance since the cpu is being used when bug is happening. Not 24/7 issue but happens at random times during the day.

Check for yourself, you will see its true. I can recreate the problem at will with 100% success

Confirm here http://en.miui.com/thread-356299-1-1.html

Last edited:
If you have the following settings

Location set to High accuracy or battery saver (So google location services are active)
+
Location History disabled

You will get severe battery drain by Google Play Services/Android System. Since the very first MIUI 8 rom and up to the very latest. Also affects performance since the cpu is being used when bug is happening. Not 24/7 issue but happens at random times during the day.

Check for yourself, you will see its true. I can recreate the problem at will with 100% success

Confirm here http://en.miui.com/thread-356299-1-1.html
What phone are you using would be nice to know because my Cancro doesn't have this battery drain at all anymore. It was at the beginning of MIUI 8 but fixed like couple months ago.

Lähetetty minun MI 3W laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Even happens in Redmi 4

Attachments

• redmi4googlebug.png
    redmi4googlebug.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 741
What phone are you using would be nice to know because my Cancro doesn't have this battery drain at all anymore. It was at the beginning of MIUI 8 but fixed like couple months ago.

Redmi 1s but I'm almost certain it happens in all MIUI 8 roms on all phones. It all depends on your location settings and if location history is on or off.

Location off = no problem
Location set to device only = no problem
Location set to high accuracy/battery saver + Location history on = no problem
Location set to high accuracy/battery saver + Location history off = problem

If you have the bug you will see high cpu time/awake by Android System and Google Services in battery stats. How much % depends on your usage.

I spent ages coming to this conclusion, lots of testing. 100% certain there is a problem in MIUI 8 that makes Google Location Services not work properly.

Here you go. :)

9aa64dce8bc079476bbd012257265c96.jpg

629c9f491ef12c8cc10096bfbb85d6e4.jpg

ca4243e41ea67094b26015b83e019781.jpg

1d5f420996d2e209797b91ad94e81262.jpg

Yed, google play services have used like 18% battery but I have used navigation pp (bussit). SOT will be around 4h which is typical for Mi3.

Hard to confirm since you were using the navigation app but that kind of % by Google Play Services doesn't look normal either way. Your Location History is on or off? Only happens if its off. Typical SOT is irrelevant, you will get more without the bug, and better performance. Since Redmi 1s is not a powerful phone I can feel the phone start lagging, open OS monitor and see the Google Play Services process running using 30-50% cpu. Maybe harder to spot on mi3 but it does reduce performance as well as battery life.

Here you go. :)

9aa64dce8bc079476bbd012257265c96.jpg

629c9f491ef12c8cc10096bfbb85d6e4.jpg

ca4243e41ea67094b26015b83e019781.jpg

1d5f420996d2e209797b91ad94e81262.jpg

Yed, google play services have used like 18% battery but I have used navigation pp (bussit). SOT will be around 4h which is typical for Mi3.

Last edited:
Location history is off.

I'd say you have the bug then. I've seen it on nearly all mi phones with MIUI 8 either in youtube videos or on the forum. I'd suggest using device only Location which is ironic since battery saver ain't saving battery! Or enable Location history if you don't mind Google knowing where you go.

Reactions: dogiex
I have my location history off for two years now and no Google Services drain. Location is on high accuracy. I also use only Store and Chrome beta, no Gmail or other Google crap, so I'd say the culprit is in Google data collection s**t like Google Now etc.

Attachments

• photostrip-2016-11-22-1.jpg
    photostrip-2016-11-22-1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 623
I have my location history off for two years now and no Google Services drain. Location is on high accuracy. I also use only Store and Chrome beta, no Gmail or other Google crap, so I'd say the culprit is in Google data collection s**t like Google Now etc.

The problem is in the miui rom, nothing to do with google or google now. I made sure Google now was off, tried pretty much everything, makes no difference. Google Location Services just does not work properly. I can't confirm it on every phone but it has been proven to happen on most of them. There may also be some other particular settings/circumstances that prevent it happening.

The bug can be hard to notice without investigation but it exists. A developer on chinese miui forums confirmed to me and it will be fixed soon.

Btw there's no proof in your screenshots that it is not happening, please show app usage and the cpu/awake time by google services and android system

Last edited:
Reactions: Morvarid
Google Services weren't even in top 10. Android System was on top, because of course it runs all the time. Most people think that if the Android System is showing 20% and is on that it indicated "drain" by it. Not really, it's just that the percentage is divided between 0 and 100%, so if the other reported apps are showing 80% together, the rest is Android System.

Delete all the Google apps except Services & Store and see if the problem persists and then install one by one to see which one is at fault. As I said I didn't have any issues with weird Services drain since end of 2014, where I stopped using Google apps. Before that there were quite some occasions that Services were using resources. One the culprits was the Photos app (that time part of the G+) and Google Fit. So I got fed up with Googles half assed crap and got paid e-mail hosting and offline navigation app.

So no, it's probably not Services on itself but something that is overusing the Services.

Google Services weren't even in top 10. Android System was on top, because of course it runs all the time. Most people think that if the Android System is showing 20% and is on that it indicated "drain" by it. Not really, it's just that the percentage is divided between 0 and 100%, so if the other reported apps are showing 80% together, the rest is Android System.

Delete all the Google apps except Services & Store and see if the problem persists and then install one by one to see which one is at fault. As I said I didn't have any issues with weird Services drain since end of 2014, where I stopped using Google apps. Before that there were quite some occasions that Services were using resources. One the culprits was the Photos app (that time part of the G+) and Google Fit. So I got fed up with Googles half assed crap and got paid e-mail hosting and offline navigation app.

So no, it's probably not Services on itself but something that is overusing the Services.

I have been trying to solve this bug for 3 months+, tried everything you can imagine. I'm not just saying I think it is a bug, it is a bug with 100% certainty. It happens on a fresh install with no third party apps, no google fit, no photos. As I said, it's possible that it doesn't affect every single device and a particular setting prevents it happening. But it is a major issue across most devices for alot of people who don't notice it, I've seen it in so many battery graphs and youtube videos which show battery life from MIUI 8. I can recreate the bug with 100% success rate in MIUI 8 and downgrading to MIUI 7, it never happens with the exact same settings. The bug log confirms the error. A developer has even confirmed it to me once I posted in the Chinese bug forum, the global forum is a waste of time, nobody with any power at miui even looks there.

Also I know about Android system being high on the list, but when the bug happens it increases even more and has a higher cpu time/awake time than is normal.

Last edited:
I can confirm this bug. I wrote in xda but no one had the same problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-04-17-15-51-296_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-04-17-15-51-296_com.miui.securitycenter.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 487
I have the same problem on my Mi Note Pro. Now i try to delete applications one by one to find out what is overusing the Services...

same on mine - redmi 3. Android system drain too much battery with high CPU usage. In addition, when i restart or plug phone to computer, this bug is appreared :(

I have the same problem on my Mi Note Pro. Now i try to delete applications one by one to find out what is overusing the Services...
There is nothing overusing the services. Just 1 app trying to use Google Locations services can cause this, it does not work properly in miui 8 causing the process to enter into a loop = battery drain and reduced performance. Confirm the bug here http://en.miui.com/thread-356299-1-1.html

I test on a fresh install with no third party apps and it still happens