GPS issues in MI2

g0mib0y

Members
Feb 1, 2012
Hi!
I have the MI2 and have serious GPS issues using google maps. Is there some block in the ROM for google maps? I am using ROM 2.12.17 and when I use "GPS Test" it takes upp to 5 min to just find a satellite. Then I can get a fix with google maps. All location services are enabled in settings. This is a real dealbreaker for me since I use Google Maps alot. :-/

No GPS problem for me. Located in few seconds (2.12.14). Did you have the problem on .14 ?

No GPS problem for me. Located in few seconds (2.12.14). Did you have the problem on .14 ?
Hmm, haven't tested that version. Can I use the built in upgrade utility and install that instead? I have only run the Chinese ROMS so far. This and the fact that the capacitive buttons where not backlit was kind of a major disappointment for me :-(

Also file transfer works really badly. I am on Windows 7 and to the phone is OK but backing up the phone content to computer it just says "Calculating the time to copy files.." no matter how small the file is.

where did you get the 2.12.17??? Latest was 2.12.14 and next is 2.12.21
MTP data transfer is slow (also for me on linux), it's not like usb mass storage :( but I recommend to copy backup to dropbox account..

Yes I use Dropbox also. Tried Linux but I never managed to see the partition containing data, just the photos.
I got that ROM from the Chinese forum using the Update tool but I just updated to .21 now so I'm going out for lunch now to se if the gps works better :) Thanx for your help for now :)

Ok, now this was interesting. After upgrade still same thing, no GPS lock in Google maps or in the GPS test app. BUT, if I used a Chinese version of NaviOne that I got from the dealer of mi MI2 it gets satelite lock in under 3 sec AND THEN google maps works until I reboot the phone. It's like Google maps isn't authorized to access the GPS. A Chinese thing?

Ok, now this was interesting. After upgrade still same thing, no GPS lock in Google maps or in the GPS test app. BUT, if I used a Chinese version of NaviOne that I got from the dealer of mi MI2 it gets satelite lock in under 3 sec AND THEN google maps works until I reboot the phone. It's like Google maps isn't authorized to access the GPS. A Chinese thing?
Yes use the MIUIandroid forum ROM. It's a known issue. Chinese ROM does not work well with google location services. So your device can't use agps. And only using GPS it takes time to get lock.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Thanx! SWEET!!!! Your MIUI version works like a charm with GPS! Thank you so much. Almost threw the phone out the window :)

Thanx! SWEET!!!! Your MIUI version works like a charm with GPS! Thank you so much. Almost threw the phone out the window :)
:)come visit this forum often and share the experience with others.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

:)come visit this forum often and share the experience with others.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Now my MI2 works just like I want to! I most certainly will. Great forum and quick response to my question. Thank you again :)

Yes use the MIUIandroid forum ROM. It's a known issue. Chinese ROM does not work well with google location services. So your device can't use agps. And only using GPS it takes time to get lock.

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2
hi. i have the same GPS issue and i am new to this forum. Can please point me to the link and instruction to get this MIUIandroid ROM? thanks.

hi. i have the same GPS issue and i am new to this forum. Can please point me to the link and instruction to get this MIUIandroid ROM? thanks.

hao200257

The "MIUIandroid ROM" is the ROM that this beloved team translates and make the fixes based on Chinese release. It's in the ROMS session on the top of the page and the latest release is version 3.3.8 check this link. And the instructions to flash is also avaliable in this forum.

http://miuiandroid.com/community/threads/3-3-8.19782/

I have the same issue, but I'm on the miuiandroid ROM :(. Nothing seems to help for me, had all kinds of versions. Right now Im at the latest miui v5.

I have the same issue, but I'm on the miuiandroid ROM :(. Nothing seems to help for me, had all kinds of versions. Right now Im at the latest miui v5.

Hi there Staalborstel,
I'm having the same issue. I'm on Miuiandroid 3.4.28, and tried a couple of apps that should fix GPS performance by setting the correct servers for my continent. However, my GPS is horrible. In the car it loses the fix really easy. That makes it go crazy when I'm recording tracks or using some kind of location app (real time gps tracker).
I'm surprised at this since this guy (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2083745) made such a good and extensive review and praised the gps.
I'll keep trying to see what I can do here, but if you find anything that helps can you give me a heads up?
Cheers

Absolutely no problem with the GPS on my device fix in a few seconds on 3.4.28

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

That's the funny part. Some of you guys don't seem to have any problems at all, while some of us do.
When you get this fix, are you indoors out outdoors kingoftf?

Indoors near the windows a matter of seconds. My version is the latest multi-language

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-01-18-02-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-01-18-02-56.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 236
I had problems, but it was due to droidwall blocking the aGPS. If you are using gps without ephemeris it takes sensibly longer to fix and the fix tends to be slightly more inaccurate. If the phone is connected to the internet the fix is matter of 5-10 seconds in the open. By windows it takes more. Mind that gps needs satellites in different places above you to be accurate.
The picture shows a fix by the window (got it in 10 seconds, but it took 30 seconds to get an error of 30 meters).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-01-20-22-48.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-01-20-22-48.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 229