[GUIDE] Install TWRP for Mi 11/Pro/Ultra

Hi,
I was using TWRP on 12.04 stable rom for Xiaomi 11 (Venus).

Today, I tried to install 13.08 stable rom with fastboot and it brick my phone.

what should I do ? any luck that I could get the phone up ?

• Sad
Reactions: samirglima
I've experienced the same unable to decryptdata error in my 11 Ultra. I've been in weekly fastboot installation of EU room since its beginning. I've stopped updating after encountering this issue on a recovery EU rom I think started on June 22. Now that I've time, I tried exploring it again and this is how I resolved my twrp not decrypting data issue.

Step 1. I've downloaded old fastboot EU rom (I've used May 13, 2021 version), then execute

C:\Users\digeratz\Desktop\eu_rom\21_5_13>windows_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.bat

Step 2. After the installation is finished, wait for it to boot. Be patient, it takes time. (note: if it goes to MIUI recovery mode with the wife data option, just select wipe data and reboot to the system, you again need to be patient to wait until it boots to the system)

Step 3. Once you're in MI12.5 system, set up the phone with your pattern lock screen passcode.

Step 4. connect to PC then copy the latest EU zip recovery rom into the phone

Step 5. Turn off then go to fastboot mode. You can now see the fastboot version with the MI bunny.

Step 6. execute fastboot boot twrp.img (I've used the latest - 3.6.2)

Step 7. You should be prompted with the pattern passcode. input your pattern and it should now be able to decrypt the phone.

Step 8. Voila! you should be able to install the latest eu rom via TWRP.

I think the decrypting issue happened to those early EU rom users. During the time when we need to use the 3.5.1 modified chinese TWRP (not official for 11 Ultra) then after that, the fastboot versions were released. As we do the weekly update, you'll notice that the fastboot mode was changed too, from the one with the MI Bunny to just the FASTBOOT (without the bunny). I believe somewhere in this process, something was messed up affecting the decrypting of data.

Now, by bringing back the MI bunny in the fastboot and then flashing the new EU recovery rom via TWRP, helps resolved my issue. Hope it will help you too. :)

Last edited:
I think the decrypting issue happened to those early EU rom users. During the time when we need to use the 3.5.1 modified chinese TWRP (not official for 11 Ultra) then after that, the fastboot versions were released. As we do the weekly update, you'll notice that the fastboot mode was changed too, from the one with the MI Bunny to just the FASTBOOT (without the bunny). I believe somewhere in this process, something was messed up affecting the decrypting of data.

Thx for trying to assist those unlucky users!

But I can't agree on the statement above, I got the ultra a week after its China release and flashed the eu Rom right after its initial release, with A11 and twrp.

Then I took the Fastboot lane until it lasted, I never changed my pattern but could just boot the new twrp and update weekly ever since.

So it must be a combination of something else, the majority of the users aren't facing this issue.

There is a huge gap between the numbers of downloads and the reported issues.

So whatever is causing the problems is most likely not related to the Rom or the twrp version.

Kind regards.

Sent from my Mi 11 Ultra.

"...So whatever is causing the problems is most likely not related to the Rom or the twrp version."
Yeah. I agree. I didn't mean that there's something wrong with the ROM or the TWRP version.

When I said that "...I believe somewhere in this process, something was messed up affecting the decrypting of data.", I meant it's probably the way we did all those installations. Same as you, I'm not changing my pattern but I don't regularly do weekly updates, some times I bypassed weeks or months of updates. I mean If I've missed the last 4 weeks, I don't go back and install those misses one by one, I just get the latest one. It came to a point where my rear display started to have an issue, it will stop displaying until I restart the phone until I gave up and just turned off the rearview display. Even my icons are starting to act weird, they became so tiny icons after the restart and need to go to the home screen setting to adjust the size.

I know I have to start formatting data at some point but too lazy because I'm not doing a backup of my phone and formatting means installing every app I have again. hahaha. That is when I found out that the latest is not through fastboot anymore and started experiencing the twrp decrypting issue. I gave up trying all the suggestions I've read as they don't work on my phone, then I remember the Mi Bunny fastboot, I remember I don't have a decrypting issue at that time and I know that It was changed to orange fastboot only when as I keep updating with new roms so the Bunny fastboot should be in the older rom. Gave it a try and it worked. All issues on my phone are also gone. Orange fastboot was also backed and now, twrp doesn't have trouble decrypting as well. :)

Last edited:
Yeah. I agree. I didn't mean that there's something wrong with the ROM or the TWRP version.

When I said that "...I believe somewhere in this process, something was messed up affecting the decrypting of data.", I meant it's probably the way we did all those installations. Same as you, I'm not changing my pattern but I don't regularly do weekly updates, some times I bypassed weeks or months of updates. I mean If I've missed the last 4 weeks, I don't go back and install those misses one by one, I just get the latest one. It came to a point where my rear display started to have an issue, it will stop displaying until I restart the phone until I gave up and just turned off the rearview display. Even my icons are starting to act weird, they became so tiny icons after the restart and need to go to the home screen setting to adjust the size.

I know I have to start formatting data at some point but too lazy because I'm not doing a backup of my phone and formatting means installing every app I have again. hahaha. That is when I found out that the latest is not through fastboot anymore and started experiencing the twrp decrypting issue. I gave up trying all the suggestions I've read as they don't work on my phone, then I remember the Mi Bunny fastboot, I remember I don't have a decrypting issue at that time and I know that It was changed to orange fastboot only when as I keep updating with new roms so the Bunny fastboot should be in the older rom. Gave it a try and it works. All issues on my phone are also gone. Orange fastboot is also back and now, twrp doesn't have trouble decrypting as well. :)
Can you flash the latest eu rom V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM and does orange fastboot still appear when you go to fastboot or it's bunny fastboot? Sorry my English is bad

Can you flash the latest eu rom V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM and does orange fastboot still appear when you go to fastboot or it's bunny fastboot? Sorry my English is bad
The latest eu ROM contains the orange fastboot.

If you're not encountering the twrp decrypting error and can update using the zip just fine then there's nothing to worry about regardless which fastboot version you are in.

The workaround I have provided is for those who are not able to update through TWRP because of decrypting error or in some instances, the pattern password does not appear in twrp.

Reactions: Dayfine
My Xiaomi Mi 11 is in version and I want to update to version V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM
The latest eu ROM contains the orange fastboot.

If you're not encountering the twrp decrypting error and can update using the zip just fine then there's nothing to worry about regardless which fastboot version you are in.

The workaround I have provided is for those who are not able to update through TWRP because of decrypting error or in some instances, the pattern password does not appear in twrp.
My Mi 11 is on version V13.0.8.0.SKBCNXM and I want to update to version V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM by TWRP (I've intalled the latest TWRP-3.6.2_11-0) but when I wipe Dalvik/ART cache, Metadata and Data it errored like this

IMG_20220809_195627.jpg

I don't know what to do now, I intend to do 8 steps you've mentioned above

My Xiaomi Mi 11 is in version and I want to update to version V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM

My Mi 11 is on version V13.0.8.0.SKBCNXM and I want to update to version V13.0.9.0.SKBCNXM by TWRP (I've intalled the latest TWRP-3.6.2_11-0) but when I wipe Dalvik/ART cache, Metadata and Data it errored like this

I don't know what to do now, I intend to do 8 steps you've mentioned above

okay. have you set pattern password in your phone? if not set it first before going to TWRP.

If you already have the pattern password set but it does not prompt you when in TWRP or it prompt you with the pattern but goes to what you provided in your screenshot after you provided your pattern then you have the same issue as mine and you can try my workaround steps.

Last edited:
okay. have you set pattern password in your phone? if not set it first before going to TWRP.

If you already have the pattern password set but it does not prompt you when in TWRP and you have the same issue as mine and you can try my workaround.
Yes, I had pattern password in my phone and it didn't prompt me when in TWRP. Thank you so much for your help.

It really worked, thanks again. That's so great :D
Hi bro, May I know what you have done to make it work. Do we need to remove the pin or change pin ? But I have many banking apps so removing pin will disable all of them. Is that the only solution ? Even I am trying to upgrade my mi 11 13.0.8 to 13.0.9, the problem with mine is it logs into recovery, but does not ask for a pin or cannot find my downloaded EU ROM 13.0.9 in the internal storage.

Just to confirm, the only solution to fix this problem is remove pin and then go to fastboot recovery again TWRP . Is that right ? Please help. Thanks.

Hi bro, May I know what you have done to make it work. Do we need to remove the pin or change pin ? But I have many banking apps so removing pin will disable all of them. Is that the only solution ? Even I am trying to upgrade my mi 11 13.0.8 to 13.0.9, the problem with mine is it logs into recovery, but does not ask for a pin or cannot find my downloaded EU ROM 13.0.9 in the internal storage.

Just to confirm, the only solution to fix this problem is remove pin and then go to fastboot recovery again TWRP . Is that right ? Please help. Thanks.
to remove the pin is only a workaround that helped some people. perhaps some twrp are not working in 100%. you can try it to decrypt the data partition within twrp without setting a pin in system. then install the rom and if it is finished you can set the pin again.

hete are some other workaround and remember that you use the correct twrp version

to remove the pin is only a workaround that helped some people. perhaps some twrp are not working in 100%. you can try it to decrypt the data partition within twrp without setting a pin in system. then install the rom and if it is finished you can set the pin again.

hete are some other workaround and remember that you use the correct twrp version

Thanks for the update, just click on the decrypt option is it ? May I know will we loose any data or apps if we choose the decrypt option after logging in the TWRP mode ?

Sorry my English is bad so I don't know how to answer your questions clearly. I just went to https://mifirm.net/model/venus.ttt#eu and downloaded the eu fastboot rom V12.5.7.0.RKBCNXM and did 8 steps digeratz mentioned above:
"Step 1. I've downloaded old fastboot EU rom (I've used May 13, 2021 version), then execute
C:\Users\digeratz\Desktop\eu_rom\21_5_13>windows_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.bat
Step 2. After the installation is finished, wait for it to boot. Be patient, it takes time. (note: if it goes to MIUI recovery mode with the wife data option, just select wipe data and reboot to the system, you again need to be patient to wait until it boots to the system)
Step 3. Once you're in MI12.5 system, set up the phone with your pattern lock screen passcode.
Step 4. connect to PC then copy the latest EU zip recovery rom into the phone
Step 5. Turn off then go to fastboot mode. You can now see the fastboot version with the MI bunny.
Step 6. execute fastboot boot twrp.img (I've used the latest - 3.6.2)
Step 7. You should be prompted with the pattern passcode. input your pattern and it should now be able to decrypt the phone.
Step 8. Voila! you should be able to install the latest eu rom via TWRP."
I didn't remove or change pin. I extracted the rom and double clicked on the file windows_fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.bat and it just flashed the rom and then I continued to do the next steps. I downloaded the latest TWRP here: https://dl.twrp.me/venus/
To be more clear you should ask digeratz

Reactions: katerpanne
Thanks for the update, just click on the decrypt option is it ? May I know will we loose any data or apps if we choose the decrypt option after logging in the TWRP mode ?
"choose the decrypt option" thats not an option ... in my howto I have described it:

TWRP update shows ERROR: 1 / can not mount system ...
- this error can occur if you try the update with updater app or if you started TWRP manually
- Solution:
-> while you are in TWRP reboot your device in recovery mode
-> try to install the rom again
-> if it will fail, reboot in recovery again
-> or use "fastboot boot twrp.img" again
-> sometimes you need more then one try
-> if it will not work choose another twrp version

If you cant decrypt / see your folders after booting TWRP
-
check if you use the correct TWRP (see links)
- change Pattern/Password to PIN
- remove the PIN in system and try it again
- solution from @Karpfenhai
- solution1 & solution2 from @digeratz

Reactions: Poney70
Hello everyone,
In case someone still needs help with a working TWRP that can decrypt the partitions
I am on the stable 13.0.12 going to 13.0.13, tried with the twrp from twrp.me and it couldn't decrypt the partitions
The version that worked was the one from Android file host ( the other link in the ROM page ) , https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=321510

twrp-3.6.2_12-v5.6_A12-star-skkk.img is working for my mi11ultra​

Good luck !

Hello everyone,
In case someone still needs help with a working TWRP that can decrypt the partitions
I am on the stable 13.0.12 going to 13.0.13, tried with the twrp from twrp.me and it couldn't decrypt the partitions
The version that worked was the one from Android file host ( the other link in the ROM page ) , https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=321510

Thanks so much. Worked for me after not being able to decrypt.

Hello everyone,

Good luck !

Does this work on mi 11 pro? Does it support from 13.0.12 fastboot to 13.0.13 recovery?

My English is bad, I use google translate.

thanks to everyone here!
it was a little bit tricky to install, but with some hint's written here i managed to install the latest rom with trwp on my xiaomi 11 Ultra!

hi Sir @katerpanne , Im currently on 13.0.13 latest CN ROM for Mi 11 pro and i wanted to use eu.rom do i need to downgrade? i already unlock my bootloader. thank you soo much