[guide] - Set Up Microg On Bugers Cm12.1

.bastian

Members
Jun 17, 2013
zwwcqous.png

With microG we're finally able to get rid of the unnecessary bloated Gapps packages on our phones without loosing the PlayStore and Pushmessage support. Only for comparison: The smallest OpenGapps package has about 65MB, microG only <15MB.

First of all, microG isn't my own project. All I provide is a guide how to use it with bugers latest CM 12.1 release on our Mi2S and a flashable zip which makes it a bit easier to install it. So all credits should be go directly to the developer.
More detailed information can be found on the projects homepage (https://microg.org/) and the corresponding thread on xda.

Why only bugers ROM? - Because at the moment its the only ROM for our Mi2 which provides SignatureSpoofing without using the xposed framework.
Theoretically it should also work on every other rom when you install xposed with the FakeGAPPS module.

Lets get started:
Before you start it would be the best if you do a clean install of bugers ROM on your phone. The latter should originnaly be free of any kind of GAPPS package.

1. Download my flashable zip with the actual microG packages:

Actual Stable Version: 0.2.4
http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/HqoqsYeT/file.html

Actual BETA Version (for those feeling a bit adventurous): 0.2.4-14-gdb93985
http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/84z2kriZ/file.html

It will install:
  • Service Core (GmsCore) is a library app, providing the functionality required to run apps that use Google Play Services or Google Maps Android API (v2).
  • Services Framework Proxy (GsfProxy) is a small helper utility to allow apps developed for Google Cloud to Device Messaging (C2DM) to use the compatible Google Cloud Messaging service included with GmsCore.
  • Unified Network Location Provider (UnifiedNlp) is a library that provides Wi-Fi- and Cell-tower-based geolocation to applications that use Google’s network location provider. It is included in GmsCore but can also run independently on most Android systems.
  • Maps API (mapsv1) is a system library, providing the same functionality as now deprecated Google Maps API (v1).
  • A actual Version of the PlayStore (If you want a installation completely without PlayStore support use This File)
2. Flash the zip with TWRP

3. Now reboot your phone. (You should notice two new apps in the AppDrawer, the PlayStore and the microG setup. But leave it there we have to do some setup before.

4. Open the Android settings and enable the developer options by tapping five?! times on the build-number in the "About the Phone" menu

5. Go to the developer-options and search for a setting called "Enable Signature Spoofing" (should be quite at the end of the list) - ENABLE IT!

6. Now open the microG Settings, enable "Device check in" and, if you need it (for Whatsapp, Threema, etc.) Google Cloud Messaging

7. If you now open "Self-Check" it should look like this:

8. Finally its about to set up the location provider (Needed for all the loaction services) - We begin with installing FDroid from -here-

9. Fire up FDroid and type NLP in the search field. Right now you can choose from a bunch of different location providers. Until now i've made positive experiences with MozillaNLP, but also the others should work fine. - CHOOSE ONE, INSTALL IT!
(If you dont want to use FDroid you can also search on xda or github for your preferred backend, but keep in mind that you can use FDroid also for receiving updates for microG itself , despite that FDroid is always a great choice to get free useful apps.)

10. Go back to the microG settings and choose the menu UnifiedNlpSettings. For Network-based-Location choose Mozilla (or your chose other), for Adress Lookup chose Nominatim. - DONE

11. Last but not least - Log on in the PlayStore. If it gives you an error or just a blank page when you open it close it and open it again. Also after you have entered your login credentials the first time it should only show an error or a blank page. Like i said: close and open it again.

(12.) There are few apps requiring a manual intall of microG to provide a correct function (for example: DB Navigator -> crashes without a manual install). To avoid problems or crashes download the microG Services Core apk from here (choose the version you have chosen before stable/beta): https://microg.org/download.html and reinstall it directly (document manager on your phone etc.) over your existing installation (steps 1 - 11).

Done!

-----------------------------------------------------------
2016/09/18
- Updated stable/beta script to the actual MicroG packages
- Updated the included PlayStore to the new v7 version (7.0.12)

Last edited:
In rc8, it seems that I have to uninstall the gapps installed internally before flashing microG .

By the the way, didn't the microG support synchronize contacts?

通过我的 MI 2S 上的 Tapatalk发言

In rc8, it seems that I have to uninstall the gapps installed internally before flashing microG .

By the the way, didn't the microG support synchronize contacts?

You only have to uninstall GAPPS if you've installed it before or if you did an upgrade with RC8 from an older version in which you had already installed GAPPS.

Until i don't use the google services to store my contacts (i use DAVDrouid to sync it with my mail provider) im not really sure about it, but in my opinion it should work. Just add your google account in the account settings and enable the appropriate option in the sync settings for that account.

Reactions: Takao and rendolf
Thanks for the great tutorial!
Sometimes MozillaNLP is ANR, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Up and running. What about Google Play Games.
One more question. Your guide is easier than any other. Did you create the zip? Can I use this
guide for another ROM with FakeGAPPS xposed module? More than one question.. sorry

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@.bastian - great work and step-by-step tutorial!
Thanks - but only because of your great rom - keeps my phone alife and usable ;)

[...] Sometimes MozillaNLP is ANR, any suggestions?
What do you mean with ANR? - But generally also the other location providers are doing a great job. I`ve used also the apple unifiednlp Backed for a while - had not a single reason to complain about.

Please add this TIP [...]
Will add it soon, thanks for reporting.

Up and running. What about Google Play Games.
One more question. Your guide is easier than any other. Did you create the zip? Can I use this
guide for another ROM with FakeGAPPS xposed module? More than one question.. sorry
Never heard about Google Play Games, but generally the goal of microG is using as little google stuff as possible without loosing the usability of our devices. Adding additional google stuff which isnt really necessary sabotages the whole idea.

Yes, the actual versions were created by me. Use them for whatever you want. And sure, this zip should work on any phone with any rom. The only thing is, like you've already mentioned, if the rom doesnt support signature spoofing you have to use xposed with FakeGAPPS to ge full functionality.

Adding additional google stuff which isnt really necessary sabotages the whole idea.
Actually, whole idea it's create free and open source implementation of google services, so everyone can use it without google vendor lock and probing.

I did a clean install of bugers' RC8 but it came with play store and some other gapps stuff...

EDIT: did a /system format and flashed ROM again, it's clean now! My bad :p

EDIT2: everything seems to be working fine except the GPS. I've tried using different NLP's but nothing works. I can't get a fix in Gpsfix and google maps gives me a "Your current location is temorarly unavailable". Location mode is on 'high accuracy'. Any solutions?

Last edited:
@.bastian: thanks! Can I share a digital PayPal beer with you?
[...]
Hey rendolf, well-meant but until microG isnt my project my only work is to create a flashable zip from time to time and of course to keep thread alive. So no need to pay for.
Van motorrijders tot motorrijders - twee vinger begroeting ;) Ich hoffe das war richtig

[...] everything seems to be working fine except the GPS. I've tried using different NLP's but nothing works. I can't get a fix in Gpsfix and google maps gives me a "Your current location is temorarly unavailable". Location mode is on 'high accuracy'. Any solutions?
Strange, for me it works quite fine. But i'll try to find a solution for you.

Hey rendolf, well-meant but until microG isnt my project my only work is to create a flashable zip from time to time and of course to keep thread alive. So no need to pay for.
Van motorrijders tot motorrijders - twee vinger begroeting ;) Ich hoffe das war richtig

Strange, for me it works quite fine. But I'll try to find a solution for you.
In Greece the Mozilla NLP locates me 2-3 miles western. Apple NLP :( :( :( found my real location. I use f... ApplesNLP though. It's perfect but proprietary

Strange, for me it works quite fine. But i'll try to find a solution for you.
Thanks man. What's strange though is that the only place the location fix seems to work is in the latest google maps. I used to use the old version (6.14.4) but I can't get a fix there or any other app (like GpsFix).

992d4da2bb0a36ffe0e5baab65c45988.jpg

Need help here. Last night the play store show this error page, close and open it nothing changed. Try to clear data, nonting changed.

992d4da2bb0a36ffe0e5baab65c45988.jpg

Need help here. Last night the play store show this error page, close and open it nothing changed. Try to clear data, nonting changed.
Do you force closed it and re opened that again? If nothing happens, try Lucky Patcher method to install one new Phonesky.apk

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Reactions: DeAkion