Help with unlocking

Beerit's Pet

Members
Mar 12, 2021
I went through the guides, allowed all the USB options, connected to a MI account, and downloaded the most recent MI Unlock... but it's stuck on "not connected" no matter what I do.

Attached pic shows it as it's on and connected, but it remains as such even in fastboot (starting with power + volume).

He;lp

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 215
I went through the guides, allowed all the USB options, connected to a MI account, and downloaded the most recent MI Unlock... but it's stuck on "not connected" no matter what I do.

Attached pic shows it as it's on and connected, but it remains as such even in fastboot (starting with power + volume).

He;lp
Use right cable, USB 2 port and install usb drivers.

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk

What's the right cable? I did not get one with the phone.

If the phone is visible in Windows, any chance the drivers haven't been installed correctly?

What's the right cable? I did not get one with the phone.

If the phone is visible in Windows, any chance the drivers haven't been installed correctly?
You need adb divers installed, either directly from Google or from a 3rd party website, there are plenty of it.

The right cable is one known as good quality when it comes to data transmission, usually the “original“ cable but any should do it if delivered with a phone.

Phone booted is using another protocol, unrelated to phone in adb mode.

Regards.

Already installed it seems. I installed the ones that came with the Mi Unlock software.

Attachments

• USB Drivers.png
    USB Drivers.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 184
You can find out easily if you did everything right. Start in terminal with "adb devices". If you see code of your device, everything is in order. Just approve the computer on the phone. And when you boot to fastboot, first make check with "fastboot devices".

Correct response is firm sign that you have everything ok.

Where do I start cmd to type adb devices in?

Fastboot devices (cmd in the mi unlock folder with fastboot in it) returns nothing with phone in fastboot.

Thanks for trying to help!!

Fastboot devices (cmd in the mi unlock folder with fastboot in it) returns nothing with phone in fastboot.

Do you hear the “device is connected“ sound on your computer if you attach the phone?

That's the problem. As long as you don't have every precondition properly set you can't do the unlock. As Karphenhai said check everything:

the phone must have usb debugging enabled in developer options (and oem unlocking too - only this - leave everithing else as it is!!!)
check the cable - the cable must be able to transfer data
you must have working adb and fastboot drivers - check it here https://www.getdroidtips.com/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-on-windows/ (only adb fastboot part - leave everything else alone)

I have this all. :\ And yeah, when connecting the phone, there's a popup with "transfer files", "do nothing", and some other option (maybe transfer pics).
I can see phone files from windows using explorer.

I have this all. :\ And yeah, when connecting the phone, there's a popup with "transfer files", "do nothing", and some other option (maybe transfer pics).
I can see phone files from windows using explorer.
That's normal why booted up, but in Fastboot?

In fastboot I get nothing and device manager shows the left side.
(Right side is phone booted up and accepting files from Windows)

Attachments

• drivers.png
    drivers.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 186
Hmm, im pretty sure that's due to the lack of adb drivers, did you try “adb devices“ from cmd while connected in Fastboot as mentioned?

That's not enough. You must have adb and fastboot installed in order to unlock bootloader. From the link i sent you or from anywhere else.

I installed those and Windows tells me the above (no better drivers) if I try again.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 170
I installed those and Windows tells me the above (no better drivers) if I try again.
Mate, believe us, I guess you are new to this, so in order to use adb and Fastboot you need the Android Debug Drivers (adb) installed. They are addressing the underlying hardware of your device.

Fancy drivers to utilize the phones storage while it's up and running will not help you, so dig a little deeper into the interwebs and as soon as you feel safe and you know what you are attempting to do, start again.

Regards.

Ps: for a start, read this:

And this:
https://miui.blog/any-devices/xiaomi-adb-fastboot-usb-drivers-tool/

Sent from my Mi11

Last edited:
Thanks piskr. I don't know how that doesn't appear in any of the tutorial's I've seen, text or video. Now ADB finds my phone, but fastboot does not.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 160
Mate, believe us, I guess you are new to this, so in order to use adb and Fastboot you need the Android Debug Drivers (adb) installed. They are addressing the underlying hardware of your device.

Fancy drivers to utilize the phones storage while it's up and running will not help you, so dig a little deeper into the interwebs and as soon as you feel safe and you know what you are attempting to do, start again.

Regards.

Ps: for a start, read this:

Sent from my Mi11

My friend, I believe you 100% and am happy to follow any guidance you are kind enough to provide. None of this feels unsafe -- I've been rooting my phones since before the iPhone age. I haven't done it in a while, though, since I've been happy with my Galaxy S7 through 10. I've followed 5 different tutorials so far for this and no go.

My friend, I believe you 100% and am happy to follow any guidance you are kind enough to provide. None of this feels unsafe -- I've been rooting my phones since before the iPhone age. I haven't done it in a while, though, since I've been happy with my Galaxy S7 through 10. I've followed 5 different tutorials so far for this and no go.
That's great to hear, so you're not starting from scratch :)

Okay then, install the adb stuff, connect your device, your cmd should run in platform-tools if you didn't add adb to your path variable.

Regards.

Sent from my Mi11

Crap, I posted the wrong image. Sorry!
Good! So just ensure usb debugging is enabled and mi unlock tool should give you some information.

You can login to the tool?

It should come back with wait time.
Your MI account is bond to the phone?

Something like that:

e8dbc41fed8c11493d84a04d12a5c26b.jpg

Keep trying!

Sent from my Mi11

Last edited:
Got a Mi account on the phone and same account on the tool. But it doesn't recognize the phone. Also, fastboot doesn't seem to recognize the device.... ?

Got a Mi account on the phone and same account on the tool. But it doesn't recognize the phone. Also, fastboot doesn't seem to recognize the device.... ?

View attachment 35375
Okay, but your screen from cmd says otherwise, there is a device listed.. weird...

What I would do, start mi Unlocker as you did.

Enter fast boot, attach phone, should be recognized after Windows made a noise.

Anyone else with further ideas?

Sent from my Mi11