How does Hongmi's storage work?

Tiltowait

Members
Oct 10, 2013
Forgive me if I seem dense, but I've never had a phone with multiple storage locations so I'm confused. The Hongmi has three: an external sdcard, an internal storage, and another internal storage. On my old phone there was only internal and external. The internal card was used by the system and programs, and the external card kept all the data. So, if I install an application, the software goes on the internal drive and the settings and data go on the external card. Easy.

I tried installing Pleco, an excellent Chinese language app. I downloaded the Chinese spoken word files, which are quite large (500Mb). Hongmi informed me it was out of space. Previously these files went to my external sdcard (8Gb).

How does Hongmi's internal storage work, exactly?

The first internal storage is for apps, the second internal storage is your primary 'SD card' (for phones that don't support SD or people that use the phone without SD) and your external one is just that, external.

It should in theory not be used by the android system at all and merely used to store static data like movies or music.

That is however managed entirely by the user.

Good programmed apps should always store big data chunks on the systems default media, in your case that would be internal storage number two (fake SD card).

Your problem occurs because the app you are using is badly coded to use the application internal storage for user data.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Tiltowait
Oh, OK. So the external sdcard isn't used by the system at all.

Is there a way to tell the system to use it? Hongmi's internal sdcard isn't that big.

Hmm. You could alter the mount tables so that the phone thinks your external sd card is your primary storage.

Should be in a file named vold.fstab in your system mount somewhere.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk

Ah. Trying to avoid rooting if possible. I'm capable of it, but I like my phone and don't want anything to happen to it, even by accident.

Does this mean if I move my old data over from external sdcard to internal sdcard, my programs will get their old settings back?

Just install our miuiandroid rom for Hongmi. We use switched memories so you have your SD card seen by device for apps.
The internal memory (around 800MB) is not used then.

4gb. But less than 900mb is available for user as USB Storage.

Wysłane z Xiaomi MI 2

In internal /data partition which has about 2G.

Wysłane z Xiaomi MI 2

Reactions: type-R
Of course If we mean games downloaded data then its on sdcard.

Reactions: Angelo
Of course If we mean games downloaded data then its on sdcard.
Hi acid, could you please give a hand with switching my hongmi to use the sdcard for apps installation? I use hongmi with miuiandroid stable 13 rom, rooted.... I tried a guide with the vofb file but it doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5

Your apps are installing in internal memory and this needs to be like that. Why change that? You have more than 1GB of internal memory for apps. This is more than enough. Altough big apps like games are auto installed on SD card. There's nothing to change in this matter.

Hello there I have redmi 1s I want to install games like max pane and modern combat but they require 1 GB or more data to be downloaded so where will it store in internal memory or external memory and if it is in internal how to move them to external