How many of us will be buying Xiaomi MI4 ?

Z2 compact or Z3 compact will be my next one. The mi4 is just too big like all other brands.

Sry. Bye xiaomi

Reactions: boojay
From what I've read, it's approximately the size of a Nexus 5 except a little bit easier to hold as it's not as wide. That's good that Xiaomi shrunk the bezels, but improvements can always be made in that design element. Also, I think bigger screens are unnecessary. I'm not an old man and my eyes aren't so bad that I can't read perfectly on the smaller, more portable, and easier to use screens.

Swyped from my Mi2S

Had a nexus5 before my mi2s sold it because it is to big and to thin.
When i step in my truck it feels like its going to say KNACK in my pocket!
Love my mi2s more then the nexus 5.
Trust me the nexus 5 isnt that great as you think.
The mi2s is very strong!

the 2nd picture(old phone) looks even better because it's easier to old due to it's form :)
I'd rather use this one than a phablet :)
Precisely! LOL

I'm amused how they keep making phones thinner not realizing it does nothing to make holding the phone easier. It compromises battery life and makes picking up a phone so awkward you need a case to make it thicker. Imagine holding a credit card or a rigid piece of paper like a pamphlet as a phone, it's just not that comfortable. When you hold a phone, it's the width that matters most.

Swyped from my Mi2S

Last edited:
Z2 compact or Z3 compact will be my next one. The mi4 is just too big like all other brands.

Sry. Bye xiaomi

It's funny since there's rumor says the code name of Xperia Z3 compact would be "Aries" and we all know Mi2(S)'s code name is also Aries - So upgrade from one Aries to another, seems pretty legit to me. lol

Currently I need a dual sim phone and xiaomi made the choice to offer dual sim only on their cheapest model....
Result : I ordered a Nubia z7 mini (stupid name... mini at 5inch....)

I would prefer 4.3 or 4.7" but high end phones are 5" or 5.5" big....
I currently have a 5.5" zopo and this is too big!!!! (And it sucks for several reasons.... Like camera, sound, GPS)
Hope that 5" will be better and that the Nubia is more like xiaomi..... Because I don't want a peace of crap again!

If the mi4 was dual sim then i would had tried it for sure as miui is my favorite android ROM and as xiaomi hw is the best for a fair price

But mono sim ... Well maybe I may buy one for my wife next year

It's a bit too big... but not too much of a phablet...
Can we finally change batteries again ?
SD card possible ?

If only the price was on chinese level... i would get it right away...
Over 400 $ is way overpriced imho...
Maybe next year when the 5 comes i'll give it another thought...

Can we finally change batteries again ?
SD card possible ?

No and no.

Xiaomi is copying Apple (well, they sure will not admit it) in every single way so... They will never provide SD card support on Mi phones (the low-end HongMi series got SD card support) since they're selling a bigger storage version for a much higher price than a SD card.

And I'm sad about they decided not to make battery changeable... I hate to use those freaking stupid external batteries.

well the battery can be swapped @RadarNyan in the mi4 (saw the teardown pics on miui forum)
No. You can remove the back case since they will release back cases with all kinds of materials like wood, cloth, etc...
But even if you can see the battery, you can not remove it without break it or tear down the phone. It's connected directly to motherboard.
2014072409503622.jpg

it says on the top right of the battery "电池不可拆卸" -> "Battery can not be removed"

I also have a Mi2s and I'm also looking for a new phone with "updated" specs but small screen...
What about ZTE Nubia Z5s mini? It has almost same specs as Mi2s and a slightly larger screen (is 4,7" already too much for you?). I don't know why few people talk about it...
Ialso like Z1 compact BUT I really don't like the buttons "on screen", on a 4,3" display it's not a minor issue for me...
What I'd like the best now? SHARP SHL24!
It has all the things I like on a phone, but unfortunately it seems it will only be available for Japan :(
Anyway I like Mi4 a lot (I also tried Mi3 but I did not fall in love with it), I think I'll give it a try!

What about ZTE Nubia Z5s mini? It has almost same specs as Mi2s and a slightly larger screen (is 4,7" already too much for you?). I don't know why few people talk about it...
Why would a Mi2S owner buy this one? Both phones have the same basic specs. On top of that, ZTE may have expandable memory, but it's larger and its larger screen has lower ppi, that's not good.

@RadarNyan indeed you're right my bad :D
btw, the one you posted is the wcdma, because i think i saw the "LTE" using a samsung battery (courtesy of ibuygou)
10347793_799877683390405_1106683331753610173_n.jpg

I'll skip this and see what the S version will be like. Looks nice and all, but it's not cutting edge like the previous phones were.

I also have a Mi2s and I'm also looking for a new phone with "updated" specs but small screen...
Ialso like Z1 compact BUT I really don't like the buttons "on screen", on a 4,3" display it's not a minor issue for me...
What I'd like the best now? SHARP SHL24!
It has all the things I like on a phone, but unfortunately it seems it will only be available for Japan :(
Anyway I like Mi4 a lot (I also tried Mi3 but I did not fall in love with it), I think I'll give it a try!
I understand your dislike for on screen buttons, they're so unpredictable and not dependable like capacitive or hardware buttons, but it's something I could deal with nonetheless.

Another "mini" phone with hopefully decent specs is the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. I hear it's 4.7" (not really mini, I know) and an octa-core. It's still yet to be seen if it's not just another s**t Samsung, but one can hope.

Swyped from my Mi2S

I understand your dislike for on screen buttons, they're so unpredictable and not dependable like capacitive or hardware buttons, but it's something I could deal with nonetheless.

Another "mini" phone with hopefully decent specs is the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. I hear it's 4.7" (not really mini, I know) and an octa-core. It's still yet to be seen if it's not just another s**t Samsung, but one can hope.

Swyped from my Mi2S

There is already Galaxy S3/4 and S3/4 mini, as we can see the mini version is a big step back (on hardware configuration) it's more like a "shrink" version which is definitely not what we want.

I'm going to see if Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is coming out later this year. Since Xperia Z compact version is a compact (4.3 inch, just the right size) yet still powerful model, I'll go with Sony rather than Samsung.

There is already Galaxy S3/4 and S3/4 mini, as we can see the mini version is a big step back (on hardware configuration) it's more like a "shrink" version which is definitely not what we want.

I'm going to see if Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is coming out later this year. Since Xperia Z compact version is a compact (4.3 inch, just the right size) yet still powerful model, I'll go with Sony rather than Samsung.

I know what you mean, the S5 Neo will likely be a disappointment, as is the case with most Samsung phones, but I'm just adding to the list the number phones that still exist that aren't gargantuan in size. The Z3 Compact is definitely the phone I'm most interested in, I would settle for the Z1 Compact though, but for now, I'm still pretty happy with my Mi2S.

I know what you mean, the S5 Neo will likely be a disappointment, as is the case with most Samsung phones, but I'm just adding to the list the number phones that still exist that aren't gargantuan in size. The Z3 Compact is definitely the phone I'm most interested in, I would settle for the Z1 Compact though, but for now, I'm still pretty happy with my Mi2S.

Me too. Thanks to m1cha and linuxx now we have official CM11 support.
And ivan (Xiaomi Staff) would be continue working on release AOSP rom of Mi2S.
So as long as I got 4.3 inch screen, powerful hardware, and get custom roms, I'm pretty satisfied.

The only problem I feel about Mi2S is storage space too small... After install a few games it's nearly full.
Maybe I'll upgrade to a new "Aries" - Xperia Z3 Compact (well, rumor says so) since I can always use a SD card.

4.3 inch FTW! :D

I am waching the oppo find7 to. Haves a better screen than the mi4 and the 4g lte Works in the netherlands and on the mi4 not for now

Mi4
139.2*68.5*8.9mm

Mi2
126 x 62 x 10.2 mm

I don't know what you guys are smoking but the size difference isn't that much. The mi4 has less bezel.

It will be a great size for me. Given that a phones size I mostly felt in width the mi4 is only 6mm bigger, but thinner so might feel about the same.

Other comparisons.

Nexus 5
137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm

Galaxy s4
136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9

Mi4
139.2*68.5*8.9mm

Mi2
126 x 62 x 10.2 mm

I don't know what you guys are smoking but the size difference isn't that much. The mi4 has less bezel.

It will be a great size for me. Given that a phones size I mostly felt in width the mi4 is only 6mm bigger, but thinner so might feel about the same.

Other comparisons.

Nexus 5
137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm

Galaxy s4
136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9

Clearly nothing as strong as what you're smoking as that's a huge difference. The Mi4 dimensions are very comparable to the N5 and the N5 is substantially bigger than the Mi2(S), so you should share some of that crack and maybe the rest of us will see the same hallucinations as you are.

Swyped from my Mi2S

mi2 is 22% bigger. If mi2 would be a 50inch tv mi4 would be 61inch. that's a huge difference imo.

Lol.. We'll see.. Well I can live with 6mm of extra girth. Height is less of an issue and this is where most of the additional size is coming from.

154.8 circumference mi4
144.4 circumference mi2

For me that's an increase of 7%

I'm obviously smoking the good stuff :)

Lol.. We'll see.. Well I can live with 6mm of extra girth. Height is less of an issue and this is where most of the additional size is coming from.

154.8 circumference mi4
144.4 circumference mi2

For me that's an increase of 7%

I'm obviously smoking the good stuff :)
How did you get those weird numbers? :D
mi4-circumference: 2*a+2*b = 2*139.2+2*68.5 = 415.4
I used the surface for my calculations anyway