How To Easily Install Twrp Recovery

Hi! Anyone knows how to update Mipad to the last versiones of xiaomi.eu? There is Mocha Rom, but always call for TWRP recovery, and I cannot find something different to CWM recovery in the list for my MOCHA Mipad.
Sorry if someone answered this cuestión before...

Editado: no problem, yesterday I have my first OTA in 4 mounths

Last edited:
if you need a help with update / recovery / root--> http://adf.ly/1ZYoHh
I hope this video helps you out. if you are liked it please give it a thumbs
up in also subscribe for more videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot - that was the manual I was looking for. I had everything installed, the ROM and TWRP zips were waiting to be flashed and I just didn't get aroud to flash it. But the renaming trick did it. Great!!!

if os is bootable and no unlock bootloader needed
it is easier to install TWRP via flashify app .. just an imho..

I followed your steps with gemini but now when i run the recovery it's all black... I'm so scared, can someone help me please?

Hello Guys

I have problem with installation of TWRP recover.

I have Redmi 3 with unlocked bootloader. And I install TWRP as described in 1. post.
But when I shut down my device and use Volume UP+Power,device enter chinese recovery.

I read all posts in this thread and I cant find solution or I dont understand it.

Help please.

@nicoff: I have bought a Mi4s and I'm waiting for the unlock code for the bootloader. I received the phone with a MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 7.2.5 stable. The question is: once unlocked, can I install TWRP via updater app? If yes, how?many thanks!!

Inviato dal mio MI 4S utilizzando Tapatalk

This is the fastboot mode way to install TWRP. If you already have a xiaomi.eu ROM installed you can safely flash the recovery zip via Updater app, otherwise follow these steps.

First of all, download TWRP recovery for your device from here or searching on MIUI official forum.
  1. Your phone need to be recognized by your pc, if it's not recognized please install Xiaomi USB drivers (usually included in Mi PC Suite download here).
  2. Download Android ADB and Fastboot from here or from here and install it.
  3. Rename your *.img file in recovery.img and move it to ADB folder (usually in C: drive).
  4. Boot your phone into fastboot mode pressing and holding volume down + power key and subsequently releasing power key after some seconds.
  5. Connect your Xiaomi phone to your PC with the USB cable.
  6. Search for cmd in Windows search bar and right click on it => "Run as administrator".
  7. Type in the command prompt cd C:\ADB and press Enter you will move to ADB folder (if installed in a different path please replace "C:\ADB" with your installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ADB").
  8. Type fastboot devices and press Enter just to be sure your device is correctly recognized.
  9. Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and press Enter to flash the recovery (Warning: this is permanent and will replace your Mi Recovery and you'll lose your warranty) or type fastboot boot recovery.img and press Enter if you want to use the recovery without flashing it.
  10. Type fastboot reboot and press Enter to reboot your device after the flash is complete.
  11. First time you boot in recovery you will shown a TWRP screen asking to allow modifications to system partition. Personally, I choose always Keep read only to have no issues with my ROM. If you want to know more about this visit this page.
Hkpr5bW.jpg

Warning! Since MIUI 7 Developer ROM 6.1.14 your bootloader is probably locked and you couldn't be able to install unofficial non-MIUI recovery, if you have a locked bootloader have a look at this.

Warning n° 2! If you want back the Mi Recovery (useless if you want to keep installing weekly or stable Xiaomi.eu ROM) please download your xiaomi device fastboot image from here and extract the recovery.img file, then follow the steps below to flash it.

Warning n° 3! Some Mediatek CPU Chipset devices don't support fastboot mode.
Hi nicoff, Thanks a lot for your guide

Last edited:
Reactions: shockngage
@nicoff: I have bought a Mi4s and I'm waiting for the unlock code for the bootloader. I received the phone with a MIUI by Xiaomi.eu 7.2.5 stable. The question is: once unlocked, can I install TWRP via updater app? If yes, how?many thanks!!

Inviato dal mio MI 4S utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes if you have already a multi ROM installed you can flash twrp via updater

When i'm on China dev MIUI 8 6.6.17, do I first need to unlock my bootloader before I can flash Twrp and then switch to Multi rom?

Thank you for mst complete instructions! How I can verify if TWRP is installed? If I reboot in recovery mode appear a phone picture which show me if the cable is plug in or not!
My phone in Redmi Mi Note 3 MTK version, MIUI 8 6.7.7. beta
Thank you

This is the fastboot mode way to install TWRP. If you already have a xiaomi.eu ROM installed you can safely flash the recovery zip via Updater app, otherwise follow these steps.

First of all, download TWRP recovery for your device from here or searching on MIUI official forum.
  1. Your phone need to be recognized by your pc, if it's not recognized please install Xiaomi USB drivers (usually included in Mi PC Suite download here).
  2. Download Android ADB and Fastboot from here or from here and install it.
  3. Rename your *.img file in recovery.img and move it to ADB folder (usually in C: drive).
  4. Boot your phone into fastboot mode pressing and holding volume down + power key and subsequently releasing power key after some seconds.
  5. Connect your Xiaomi phone to your PC with the USB cable.
  6. Search for cmd in Windows search bar and right click on it => "Run as administrator".
  7. Type in the command prompt cd C:\ADB and press Enter you will move to ADB folder (if installed in a different path please replace "C:\ADB" with your installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ADB").
  8. Type fastboot devices and press Enter just to be sure your device is correctly recognized.
  9. Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and press Enter to flash the recovery (Warning: this is permanent and will replace your Mi Recovery and you'll lose your warranty) or type fastboot boot recovery.img and press Enter if you want to use the recovery without flashing it.
  10. Type fastboot reboot and press Enter to reboot your device after the flash is complete.
  11. First time you boot in recovery you will shown a TWRP screen asking to allow modifications to system partition. Personally, I choose always Keep read only to have no issues with my ROM. If you want to know more about this visit this page.
Hkpr5bW.jpg

Warning! Since MIUI 7 Developer ROM 6.1.14 your bootloader is probably locked and you couldn't be able to install unofficial non-MIUI recovery, if you have a locked bootloader have a look at this.

Warning n° 2! If you want back the Mi Recovery (useless if you want to keep installing weekly or stable Xiaomi.eu ROM) please download your xiaomi device fastboot image from here and extract the recovery.img file, then follow the steps below to flash it.

Warning n° 3! Some Mediatek CPU Chipset devices don't support fastboot mode.

Last edited:
I solved the problem!

-after "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" when you reboot the phone with "fastboot reboot" keep also Power+Vol+ pressed.
In this way the phone will reboot in twrp mode. After this will work !

Same problem as Dragos Hedes ... could someone help us?

so you followed the steps from posting #1 where everything is explained, and after flashing recovery.img you type the reboot command, press enter, and after that you hold down power button and vol up? Hmm, I will try this at home

ffs actually it worked, but when I entered into TWRP it asked me for a password and nothing seems work so my data is encrypted and I cant do nothing :(
why allways me?

Yes,
I type the command (Enter not pressed) , I press the buttons (Vol+ and Power), and with small finger I press "enter"

so you followed the steps from posting #1 where everything is explained, and after flashing recovery.img you type the reboot command, press enter, and after that you hold down power button and vol up? Hmm, I will try this at home