How's your Mi 11 Ultra GPay/contactless pay performance?

My contactless payment (e.g. Google Pay) always works.

• Yes

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No, but terminal/phone recognize a transation is started.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No, nothing is happening at all on my phone/terminal.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

TheDJVG

Members
Mar 28, 2019
Hi all,

Having used the Mi 11 Ultra for a while now I've got spotty success while paying with Google Pay or AMEX contact less. While my phone and the terminal recognize that a transaction is in progress the phone often says "phone moved too quickly" or "payment failed", even when I'm holding the phone in the same location. Some terminals do not trigger the payment at all. I've tried multiple parts of the phone but the result is always the same. So far I've been able to made only 1 payment and that was after trying multiple times.

I've used "Restore NFC functionality", reinstalled Google Pay and made sure Secure element position is set to "HCE wallet". Everything besides actually completing a transaction seem to work fine.

While it's possible that my NFC is broken I would like to hear from you if you're experiencing the same type of problem (or maybe not at all).

As extra info I'm in Singapore and the terminals that causes the most problems are the one in the MRT.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: flsoop
Hi all,

While it's possible that my NFC is broken I would like to hear from you if you're experiencing the same type of problem (or maybe not at all).

No, so far my experience in this regard has been flawless all the times I tried it (which is maybe about 5-10 times now)...

As I have also set the element position to HCE a few other thoughts : do you start Google Pay before the payment process? Is Google Pay made your default payment app? Did you try the "repair NFC function" which is the NFC settings?

My apologies if you have already been on all those, just trying to help ;)

Gesendet von meinem M2102K1C mit Tapatalk

Reactions: TheDJVG
No, so far my experience in this regard has been flawless all the times I tried it (which is maybe about 5-10 times now)...

As I have also set the element position to HCE a few other thoughts : do you start Google Pay before the payment process? Is Google Pay made your default payment app? Did you try the "repair NFC function" which is the NFC settings?

My apologies if you have already been on all those, just trying to help ;)

Thanks for your answer and happy to hear it works perfect for you!

Yes, I've tried with Google Pay open, Google Pay is the default payment app too and I've ran "Restore NFC functionality" multiple times. Did not make a difference at all.

I should add that moste of the times Google Pay does open and shows that a transaction is started but it says "phone moved too fast" or "transaction/payment failed".

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I've tried with Google Pay open, Google Pay is the default payment app too and I've ran "Restore NFC functionality" multiple times. Did not make a difference at all.
Ok, I'm sorry to hear that. You don't happen to have one of those cases with a metal backing? Which ROM are you on? I'm on EU12.5.4 stable...

Else I'm a bit at a loss, but maybe somebody else has a clever idea :)

Ok, I'm sorry to hear that. You don't happen to have one of those cases with a metal backing? Which ROM are you on? I'm on EU12.5.4 stable...

Else I'm a bit at a loss, but maybe somebody else has a clever idea :)

I'm also on EU12.5.4 stable (but results are the same with all the previous stables, tried htem all), I tried without phone case (this was my initial thought too). But no luck.

Got the feeling in worst case it might be a problem with the phone itself (lose NFC connector maybe?)

Hmmm... I had the same problem with my Mi 10 pro when I was on stable. I changed to weekly and it worked.

Now I am also on weekly with the Mi 11 Ultra.. and it works again!

Perhaps you want to try the weekly rom?

No issues for me so far, modern terminals even recognize the phone from like 3-4 inches distance, on older ones I must almost touch the surface to make it work but in the end it works flawless.

Sent from my Mi 11 Ultra.

Reactions: Poppabradj
Hi
I am having the same problem too, with Mi 11, in Singapore.
I got the error "Phone moved too fast" when I use mobile payment.

I am on stable rom 12.5.11 for Mi 11.

After some trial and error with mobile payment and different settings on the phone,
I managed to found the issue.

Settings -> Connection & Sharing ->Contactless payments:
Payment default: NNNNN
Use default: NNNNN

I notice that somehow these settings is not working well.
if you set both to use the same payment mode, it will works well.
if you set to "Replace default app when another payment app is open"; there will be conflict and causing mobile payment to fail when you scan at terminal.

I hope the next update of stable rom for Mi 11 will solve this bug.
and hope this helps for those getting such issue.

Workaround:
(until this is resolved in the next version update)

Settings -> Connection & Sharing ->Contactless payments:
Payment default: ABC
Use default: Always use default app

Last edited:
Same here. Roughly said about half of the transactions fail. Messages like "Phone moved too fast" or "Transaction failed". It also does fake positive transaction - Google pay says it's ok, but the terminal keeps waiting for payment. The other thing is it's like Google Pay is suspended sometimes because it asks for a pin code to authorize transaction. Have it in mind i live in London, UK, and this is the only way i pay. I use it like 10-15 times a day, and i have the phone for 4 months. That's roughly a 1000 transactions till now. In the morning - touch in/out in the Tube or train, same thing in the evening. All day is coffee, or some breakfast in the lunch break and things like that. To be honest i'm starting to think it's either a software issue or the NFC chip is probably stuck behind the camera module and terminals have a hard time reading it. It's a safety measure i guess - if the communication between the device and the terminal is not good enough it fails on purpose.