[HowTo] Install Recovery image

How can I change the language?
I flashed recovery without a ROM and recovery set as above. Now I want to do it with a ROM (stable update Mi 11 Pro from fastboot way to recovery), that would help to set the recovery permanently and correctly?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 166
I flashed recovery without a ROM and recovery set as above. Now I want to do it with a ROM (stable update Mi 11 Pro from fastboot way to recovery), that would help to set the recovery permanently and correctly?
it depends.
as @Igor Eisberg mentioned if there is a REC-TWRP variant for this device, they will not include the TWRP into the ROM

I have mentioned it on page 1

BOOT / REC TWRP for some devices
For some devices there are different TWRPs available
1.) BOOT-TWRP -> fastboot boot twrp - boot TWRP only
2.) REC-TWRP -> fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img - install TWRP permanent
3.) BOOT-REC-TWRP -> you can use both fastboot commands -> see 1.) & 2.)

Updates of TWRP
- For non-A/B devices TWRP will not be replaced automatically while installing ROM unless you flash the new, working recovery.
- For most A/B devices TWRP will be flashed permanent while installing ROM (perhaps a different version than yours)
- If there is a REC-TWRP for the device, the TWRP is not included into the ROM any longer

For the MI11pro I did not find a REC-TWRP -> so it should be that after ROM installation you have a permanent TWRP as well :)

Hope this answer will help

Last edited:
Reactions: JakSpoon
Hi @katerpanne and thanks a lot for this detailed tutorial!
I have a Mi 11 Ultra with Stable Xiaomi.EU Recovery ROM with MIUI 12.5.20 (and "old" modified TWRP, installed last 1 year ago)

At this point, I simply want to "update" the TWRP installed on the phone with the most recent one available for the Mi 11 Ultra (the one I have now does not support Android 12) and then delete any files from the phone to do the cleanest possible installation of the new ROM with MIUI 13.

What is the correct procedure to do this (from your guide it doesn't seem to me that the steps to format everything are explained)
By following your guide to flash TWRP into the phone, will the new version automatically take the place of the old one?

Thanks again!

Hi, help
i installed the TWRP 5.1_A12 version on Mi12 pro and from the settings i changed the language to greek.
I see the main menu and the only choices that do work are the installation and reboot when i press the rest of the choices the TWRP reboots and i keep returning to the main menu.
I am writing because i need your help on how to change to language to English again so the TWRP works properly .

Hi @katerpanne and thanks a lot for this detailed tutorial!
I have a Mi 11 Ultra with Stable Xiaomi.EU Recovery ROM with MIUI 12.5.20 (and "old" modified TWRP, installed last 1 year ago)

At this point, I simply want to "update" the TWRP installed on the phone with the most recent one available for the Mi 11 Ultra (the one I have now does not support Android 12) and then delete any files from the phone to do the cleanest possible installation of the new ROM with MIUI 13.

What is the correct procedure to do this (from your guide it doesn't seem to me that the steps to format everything are explained)
By following your guide to flash TWRP into the phone, will the new version automatically take the place of the old one?

Thanks again!
its explained and read the hints… if you want a clean install, choose in A12 twrp -> format or reset your device and install then the new rom version

if you flash twrp then the old one is replaced if you boot twrp then not

Hi, help
i installed the TWRP 5.1_A12 version on Mi12 pro and from the settings i changed the language to greek.
I see the main menu and the only choices that do work are the installation and reboot when i press the rest of the choices the TWRP reboots and i keep returning to the main menu.
I am writing because i need your help on how to change to language to English again so the TWRP works properly .
how to change the language it is described in the how to

how to change the language it is described in the how to
I can not
I go to settings and it returns to the main menu
is there a way to delete it and install again
it has kept the settings greek
or will I have to go to global fastboot and reinstall again
thanks

it depends.
as @Igor Eisberg mentioned if there is a REC-TWRP variant for this device, they will not include the TWRP into the ROM

I have mentioned it on page 1

BOOT / REC TWRP for some devices
For some devices there are different TWRPs available
1.) BOOT-TWRP -> fastboot boot twrp - boot TWRP only
2.) REC-TWRP -> fastboot flash recovery_ab twrp.img - install TWRP permanent
3.) BOOT-REC-TWRP -> you can use both fastboot commands -> see 1.) & 2.)

Updates of TWRP
- For non-A/B devices TWRP will not be replaced automatically while installing ROM unless you flash the new, working recovery.
- For most A/B devices TWRP will be flashed permanent while installing ROM (perhaps a different version than yours)
- If there is a REC-TWRP for the device, the TWRP is not included into the ROM any longer

For the MI11pro I did not find a REC-TWRP -> so it should be that after ROM installation you have a permanent TWRP as well :)

Hope this answer will help
It flashed correctly and on the first try and in spanish, I didn't even have to change the language. Thank you.

Reactions: katerpanne
Hi All,For those who are having issues:
I have successfully installed latest stable ROM on XM12.

Installed over previous fastboot rom. Assuming you followed all the unlocking procedures, and your phone is UNLOCKED.
you need to boot your phone to FASTBOOT.
once in fastboot you need to RUN TWRP (the 1st time you install a TWRP ROM) - doing this by: fastboot run twrp.img
you will need to change language from Chinese to English... (or your preference)
Then you simply install the rom from TWRP, over the existing XIAOMI.EU rom (used to be fastboot).
After this install - you should have rom working and TWRP installed.

Hope this helps...
This really helped. Try it this way. I didn't even have to change the language.

"install the rom from TWRP, over the existing XIAOMI.EU rom (used to be fastboot)"

I can not
I go to settings and it returns to the main menu
is there a way to delete it and install again
it has kept the settings greek
or will I have to go to global fastboot and reinstall again
thanks
for the mi12pro is a REC variant. use this to install it over your twrp. try it.

Last edited:
for the mi12pro is a REC variant. use this to install it over your twrp. try it.
Can you please write the procedure on how to do it.
I only know the first step which is to rename the REC file to twrp.image but i don't know the commands that i need to give to the fastboot.

its explained and read the hints… if you want a clean install, choose in A12 twrp -> format or reset your device and install then the new rom version

if you flash twrp then the old one is replaced if you boot twrp then not

Ok thanks!
(It would be wonderful to add a detailed step-by-step to the guide for those who want to do a total and as clean a formatting as possible, for those who plan to do it but are impractical)

Thanks again for your great guide!

Edit: one last thing... you also confirm me that the right steps to flash TWRP permanently are these right?
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/22-6-15.66132/page-5#post-661698
Better to do this procedure before installing the stable ROM, isn't it?

Last edited:
How to install a xiaomi.eu recovery image

Because of more and more working TWRP on MIUI13 Android12 a little How To

and here we go ....

- optional you can flash TWRP permanent with "Install Recovery Ramdisk"

Hello,
I have POCO F3 and from Xiaomi.eu 12xxx I installed Xiaomi.eu 13xxx from scratch and wanted to permanently install TWRP but I can't find the entry.
I started from pc the TWRP on my POCO F3 but I didn't understand where I find the command "Install Recovery Ramdisk"

Ok thanks!
(It would be wonderful to add a detailed step-by-step to the guide for those who want to do a total and as clean a formatting as possible, for those who plan to do it but are impractical)

Thanks again for your great guide!

Edit: one last thing... you also confirm me that the right steps to flash TWRP permanently are these right?
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/22-6-15.66132/page-5#post-661698
Better to do this procedure before installing the stable ROM, isn't it?
if i missed something, write the details and i will put it into the howto. at the moment i dont know what you want… remember i am very old :)

Hello,
I have POCO F3 and from Xiaomi.eu 12xxx I installed Xiaomi.eu 13xxx from scratch and wanted to permanently install TWRP but I can't find the entry.
I started from pc the TWRP on my POCO F3 but I didn't understand where I find the command "Install Recovery Ramdisk"
in my howto there are very nice screenshots from @gogocar62

Reactions: pegasocv
if i missed something, write the details and i will put it into the howto. at the moment i dont know what you want… remember i am very old :)

The guide is comprehensive and very clear, kudos for updating it over time, even having a lot of patience for us users who are less familiar with the Android world!

The only thing I want to understand well is how to do the deep cleaning/formatting of the device:
does the "format data" you recommend to do it BEFORE the ROM installation or, as @gogocar62 advises in his guide, is it equal to do it AFTER the ROM flash?
Does anything else need to be done for the cleanest possible installation, or is it better to do some additional "Wipe"?
If I do the "format data" first, after that I necessarily have to copy the ROM in ZIP format with a command inside ADB right? or can I let the PC see the internal memory of the smartphone when I am inside TWRP?

The guide is comprehensive and very clear, kudos for updating it over time, even having a lot of patience for us users who are less familiar with the Android world!

The only thing I want to understand well is how to do the deep cleaning/formatting of the device:
does the "format data" you recommend to do it BEFORE the ROM installation or, as @gogocar62 advises in his guide, is it equal to do it AFTER the ROM flash?
If I do the "format data" first, after that I necessarily have to copy the ROM in ZIP format with a command inside ADB right? or can I let the PC see the internal memory of the smartphone when I am inside TWRP?
deep cleaning is to make a factory reset… a clean install ist to use fastboot_format or use twrp and format the data partition. with format data its like you will format c:\ on windows. you can do it before or after install the rom.

Does anything else need to be done for the cleanest possible installation, or is it better to do some additional "Wipe"?
if you copied any files to your device and then format it, the files are gone. logisch or?

• Haha
if you copied any files to your device and then format it, the files are gone. logisch or?

Obviously... that's why I was asking for details about it, as I am ignorant about it!

So okay, the "Format data" command is enough for total formatting, and here we go!

So if I perform the "format data" first, then how can I copy the ZIP ROM present on my PC, with the smartphone connected via TWRP?

Obviously... that's why I was asking for details about it, as I am ignorant about it!

So okay, the "Format data" command is enough for total formatting, and here we go!

So if I perform the "format data" first, then how can I copy the ZIP ROM present on my PC, with the smartphone connected via TWRP?
if you format in twrp the data partition all your files, data are history. if you connect your device to pc you can copy what you want to your device. i dont understand the question… .

Reactions: gogocar62

If the phone is connected with a USB cable to the PC in TWRP mode, files can be moved
From a practical point of view, it is better to do "Format Data" after installing the ROM.
Because in some cases it happens that after Format Data the storage in TWRP is unavailable.

Reactions: JiaiJ and JakSpoon
if you format in twrp the data partition all your files, data are history. if you connect your device to pc you can copy what you want to your device. i dont understand the question… .
Perhaps we did not understand each other well:

Then I would do this:
- First, I would boot the new version of "TWRP" for Android 12, via ADB command.
- I would then run the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" command to permanently install this new version
- I would start the "Format data" command to precisely do a clean format of the smartphone, in preparation for installing the stable ROM.

At this point, however, I basically no longer have the operating system installed (goodbye MIUI 12.5)... so I could only transfer the ROM in ZIP format through TWRP... am I wrong? That's why I was asking how I can do that!