I want to buy Xiaomi 13 but not sure which ROM to get, please help me

YJX94

Members
Sep 13, 2023
For reference I live in the UK, the Xiaomi 13 is available officially here with the official Global ROM but it costs £849. I can get the Chinese version of the phone imported to me for around £550 which is massively cheaper but the caveat here is that it runs the Chinese ROM which isn't the same.

I want to get the Chinese version imported to me because there are massive cost savings so I will not get the official Global one but I need to know the differences between all these ROMs and what features are missing.

As far as I am aware, I can get the Chinese version and either keep the Chinese ROM on it or flash Xiaomi.eu ROM on it or flash unofficial Global ROM on it, I will list below the things I need working on the phone and please let me know which ROM to use between the Chinese ROM, Xiaomi.eu ROM and unofficial Global ROM:-

I need the full Google mobile service functionality, Google account, Play Store and all Google apps and services to work
OTA updates are needed
Widevine L1 is needed for full quality streaming
Safetynet passed is needed so banking apps and Google Pay can work
Need Android Auto to work
Need features such as Nearby Share/Fast Pair to work
Want to be able to use Wear OS smartwatches with it with full functionality
Want to be able to use any bluetooth devices with it with full functionality
All of the core Android features present that are in western markets
Don't care about any missing 4G/5G bands from the Chinese version

I've been reading around online and it seems the Xiaomi.eu ROM will be best for my needs, I've heard that the unofficial Global ROM fails Safetynet so banking apps and Google Pay won't work, I've heard that the Chinese ROM has a lot of ads and bloatware and has notification issues and things like Nearby Share will not work without rooting. It seems like Xiaomi.eu ROM is the one I need, I basically need a ROM that will function as if I have the official Global version native to my country.

There is also the EEA ROM which I don't know much about, please let me know about that one as well.

I would greatly appreciate your help in letting me know which ROM to go with for my needs, thank you.

You already understand most of the issues that come with the Chinese ROM and the Global ROM without rooting / modding (EEA is a Global ROM variant intended for Europe).

Xiaomi.eu ROM is the best bet for your objectives, as far as I know. But a few points because you have a long list of needs, and I am not sure there is a ROM that can flawlessly guarantee all that you want:

- you will need an unlocked bootloader for any ROM except the original Chinese one, so even if Xiaomi.eu does a good job at hiding it, some specific apps can detect it

- OTA is based on TWRP. It can work very well, but don't expect 100% no involvement at all time (you may need to update TWRP, select your update file, etc)

- It is a custom ROM based on the China ROM, so it may keep some of its quirks occasionally

Last edited:
Reactions: YJX94 and gogocar62
Thanks both of you for answering and helping. Looks like it's best to get the Chinese version and then flash Xiaomi.eu on it for what I need.
How does the EEA ROM compare to Xiaomi.eu and the others? Is it better or is Xiaomi.eu still the best for my needs?

I can buy the Xiaomi 13 from TradingShenzhen, they give you the option to purchase it with Chinese ROM, Unofficial Global ROM or Xiaomi.eu with TWRP so I will just get it with Xiaomi.eu with TWRP as they will unlock the bootloader and flash that before shipping it.

EEA is also a Global ROM but intended for devices sold in the EU. As a user, you basically won't see the difference between Global (international) and Global EEA.
If you use any Global ROM, mobile payments will not work and some Google services will not work properly.

It still applies - for using the Chinese version of a device outside of China, the best choice is to use the xiaomi.eu ROM.
Of course, even in the xiaomi.eu ROM, sometimes there may be problems with GPay and payment apps.
Of course, that's the tax for using a China-only device and the money you'll save on your purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: YJX94
Thank you for getting back to me and confirming, I will go with Xiaomi.eu. Your help has been great in allowing me to understand the differences between everything and choose what is best for me. For any Xiaomi phone I get, Xiaomi.eu will be the way to go for my requirements.

Don't care about any missing 4G/5G bands from the Chinese version?
Does this mean you'll be using it with WiFi, in which case, why not purchase a tablet? You will be missing the following bands vs the global / European version:

4G / LTE: B7, B20, B28a, B32
5G: n28b

But aside from the limited network bands, a xiaomi.eu ROM should make your future device work very nicely, no bloatware Chinese apps, full support for Google apps, optimized, uses less RAM (8GB is enough for most uses), etc.

Does this mean you'll be using it with WiFi, in which case, why not purchase a tablet? You will be missing the following bands vs the global / European version:

4G / LTE: B7, B20, B28a, B32
5G: n28b

But aside from the limited network bands, a xiaomi.eu ROM should make your future device work very nicely, no bloatware Chinese apps, full support for Google apps, optimized, uses less RAM (8GB is enough for most uses), etc.
I will be using WiFi and data however I live in a dense urban area, the missing bands are for rural areas which I'm never in so it won't be an issue. I also work from home most of the time and my workplace has WiFi so I will be on WiFi most of the time.

..., some specific apps can detect it

- It is a custom ROM based on the China ROM, so it may keep some of its quirks occasionally
Is there a list of apps that are known to not work?
Is thee a list of "quirks"?
I know there is a bugs forum but it is hard to filter on what applies to the 13 Ultra and what is major vs minor.

I'm also interested in the 13U but I am concerned about having to use a custom rom. I keep having flashbacks to the old days where I had to update magisk all the time because google would actively keep fighting it. Thus safetynet only worked half the time and I had all sorts of things half working or not working at all.

These days, I want something that works without me needing to spend hours reading/posting on forums to figure out obscure fixes. From reading about this rom, it certainly sounds alot better that the roms I used in the old days, but I want to get an accurate picture of what I'm in for before investing so much money in the 13U.

Last edited:
are there any ads on teh global rom ? why can't you use global rom ? I heard xiaomi has removed ads on the global rom from miui 14. Is it not true ?

are there any ads on teh global rom ? why can't you use global rom ? I heard xiaomi has removed ads on the global rom from miui 14. Is it not true ?
Well, I temporarily installed MIUI 14 Global ROM on one of my devices. It has tons of ads everywhere you look. That includes full-screen ads in system apps and ads in notifications...

Reactions: rohan555
Well, I temporarily installed MIUI 14 Global ROM on one of my devices. It has tons of ads everywhere you look. That includes full-screen ads in system apps and ads in notifications...
ok , thanks for the update bro. I have ordered a wallet case which has a card storage facitility at the back to put my cc. :) I dont see any other option till this issue is fixed. I dont want to go ahead with the magisk option as the phone will be rooted and there are some banking apps which may not work. So just a quick question, will this magisk be permanent for google wallet fix for ever, or its the same cat and mouse game even with magisk with google ?

ok , thanks for the update bro. I have ordered a wallet case which has a card storage facitility at the back to put my cc. :) I dont see any other option till this issue is fixed. I dont want to go ahead with the magisk option as the phone will be rooted and there are some banking apps which may not work. So just a quick question, will this magisk be permanent for google wallet fix for ever, or its the same cat and mouse game even with magisk with google ?
There is no permanent solution... modules are just much easier to update.