Important Announcement - Please Read

1)
4) 20TB monthly has been our max. So a 7EURO charge per TB could quickly add up. We basically need an uncapped (GigE/100mbit) provider that won't throttle the downloads.

Hope this answers some questions

Hi. Thank you, yes it does.

But reading this, I still think the best option is to ask volunteers for mirror servers, as these days traffic is cheap enough that even low end root server get Traffic in the range of a few TiB/month, so with only 10 donators you should be good to good to go, and still have plenty of headroom to spare. I guess most users are not even coming near their traffic quota, so donating does not hurt. Also I guess here are people with access to some university networks, who can quickly setup a potent mirror.

I am not sure about the technical details of the OTA process, but I think it should be easy to make it randomly choose a mirror to download?

If the mirroring process is, that mirror servers pull updates form a miui main server, there is no need to give miuiandroid access to the machines (most users will be more comfortable with that)

Regarding torrents: I see your point, that it is slightly more complicated than a simple manual http Download or even OTA, but I think blackspawn has a point here: Most users don't mind and it is really the most effective way to get massive bandwidth without the need to organize anything. Also I would very much prefer torrents to random file hosters, where I have to solve 10 captchas just to be granted the honor of downloading with 10 KiB/sec...

Hi. Thank you, yes it does.
I am not sure about the technical details of the OTA process, but I think it should be easy to make it randomly choose a mirror to download?

If the mirroring process is, that mirror servers pull updates form a miui main server, there is no need to give miuiandroid access to the machines (most users will be more comfortable with that)

Regarding torrents: I see your point, that it is slightly more complicated than a simple manual http Download or even OTA, but I think blackspawn has a point here: Most users don't mind and it is really the most effective way to get massive bandwidth without the need to organize anything. Also I would very much prefer torrents to random file hosters, where I have to solve 10 captchas just to be granted the honor of downloading with 10 KiB/sec...

True true. As for the mirroring. Once we gain a stable ground of mirrors we can begin trusting foreign mirrors that may drop and go as they please. However, we don't have a base yet so our scripts are virtually useless without a solid ground to stand upon.

As for the permission to upload it ourselves. Its just to eliminate a middle man. Once we are done with the ROMs, its one push away from all the mirrors. If we have to wait for a 3rd party to pull our ROMs and then tell us. Thats too much work for us in the end. Thats why were asking for permission to do the uploads ourselves. Rest assured, were all adults here and wouldn't abuse any access we were given.

The entire torrents vs free file hosts is a good argument, but we don't plan to be on free hosts ever. This was a one time exception. We plan, if all goes well, to be on some dedicated hosting by next week.

In regards to a small fee for OTA I would be wary of the potential headaches with it then becoming a paid service, opening a can of worms where updates fail, bootloop, etc. Would you be classed as some sort of vendor? I can imagine a surge of emails asking for refunds. Because it's free and we do it at our own risk there aren't loads of threads here complaining when things go wrong. Add money into the equation and I expect that would change.

Just thinking out loud.

In regards to a small fee for OTA I would be wary of the potential headaches with it then becoming a paid service, opening a can of worms where updates fail, bootloop, etc. Would you be classed as some sort of vendor? I can imagine a surge of emails asking for refunds. Because it's free and we do it at our own risk there aren't loads of threads here complaining when things go wrong. Add money into the equation and I expect that would change.

Just thinking out loud.

Of course any time money gets involved users feel entitled to things. We don't want to have to handle PayPal chargebacks because users didn't understand their purchase. Thats why nothing has been setup yet. We are still debating on the staff what the most effective way is without giving people the impression that they are entitled to something more.

If anything, the purchase would be labeled as "OTA Service", nothing more, nothing less. Though the Updater.apk and our forum software are not yet synced and ready for any of this yet. Thats why its still all just ideas on a chalkboard.

Has anyone considered contacting XIaomi directly about this and asking if they can provide servers for the downloads?

Has anyone considered contacting XIaomi directly about this and asking if they can provide servers for the downloads?

Servers from Xiaomi wouldn't be the best. Notice the download times for anyone except China. Slow as hell. Good idea though.

How about using BitTorrent? So everyone can support, by providing some bandwidth. I dont mind seeding with my root.
Ok OTA is not possible, but there should be no problem getting a ROM on the SD card ...

roms thru seeds? Definite +1 on this. how many of us out there always have our pc's on and connected to the net? As for paid subscription? I for one would definitely agree to that. To all the modders, admins, coders, flashers, and all else out there working on these roms and testing out new ones; I THANK YOU!!!
clapping_animation.gif

Good news is we wont be closing at the end of March. The site is going to remain open for the foreseeable future or until such a time we all get tired of working on the ROM :p