Is Miui V6 Lollipop?

A

aakaashjois

Is the latest Developer Version of MIUI based on Lollipop or KitKat? I read in a few blogs that MIUI v6 brought Lollipop to the Mi Devices but when I flashed the developer version on MIUI v6, it still seems to be on KitKat. Am I doing something wrong? Is there somewhere where I should sign up to get the lollipop version?

They really need to speed things up. Getting Android L when M is going to release is pretty slow, don't you think?

XiaoMi is not great at upgrading Android on its devices mainly because MIUI is more like a true fork of Android.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime using Tapatalk

Reactions: Littorio
Why?

Wysłane z MI Note Pro
Because the Mi Devices are going be a step behind the rest of the flagship devices. There is a huge speed difference between 4.4.4 and 5.0. And also many many security issues have been fixed by Google in the Android system. Since MIUI is forked from Android, those issues will still be present. Google has included many new APIs in Android 5.x and most of them will be missing. So apps which uses those won't function.

well if you ever tired an lollipop ROM you'll see that even if miui V6 is based on kitkat it has a lot of lollipop features

well if you ever tired an lollipop ROM you'll see that even if miui V6 is based on kitkat it has a lot of lollipop features

But most of the apps built for Lollipop won't be running.

Which apps are Lolipop only?

Wysłane z MI Note Pro

Reactions: crixt
Because the Mi Devices are going be a step behind the rest of the flagship devices. There is a huge speed difference between 4.4.4 and 5.0. And also many many security issues have been fixed by Google in the Android system. Since MIUI is forked from Android, those issues will still be present. Google has included many new APIs in Android 5.x and most of them will be missing. So apps which uses those won't function.
But most of the apps built for Lollipop won't be running.

I doubt there are many apps at the moment that are "exclusive" to Lollipop. UI-wise, sure - the material design of Lollipop is vastly different from previous iterations. MIUI has it's own interface, though - and most apps barring those heavily depending on Google services will use the UI that MIUI has set for you. You can even customize it with themes if you don't like the default MIUI one.

As for issues, Xiaomi is known for fixing many of the issues that Google is slow at doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they've found a way of rectifying the dreaded "Mobile radio active" issue found in most Lollipop builds. Perhaps that's why they're holding back L for other Xiaomi phones so they can make sure it isn't there.

Last edited: