Is the new Xiaomi.eu still updating automatically - user of Redmi Note 10 Pro is asking

DreadMore

Members
Dec 18, 2022
Now at the end of 2022, after switching to xiaomi.eu, is it still the case that you can update the xiaomi.eu automatically through phone and it's system alone?
I'm currently in possession on Redmi Note 10 Pro and want to use the xiaomi.eu to get functions like call recording, but I guess lately some people were saying "you can no longer update via OTA" (not sure it if means "allow your phone system to update itself"), that you only get information that such update should be available. Hope that's a bluff or misread information by me and I can update normally.
If not, how often do you guys release a stable update? (as in how often I would have to plug phone to PC to update)
Or if it's too much of a hassle on Redmi Note 10 Pro, is there a Redmi, Mi, or any other Xiaomi device you would suggest getting instead that works supremely with xiomi.eu? Or maybe some new device that's already not using those stock Google Apps by default?

Hope I'm not imposing, just sitting on an edge having this new phone I cannot use as my old damaged one :[.
I got about a week to decide if I return it or not, so it's now or never for me.

In short, is xiaomi.eu going to "update through the phone like the regular one would" if I choose to update it.
Ignore the rest, I just need to know this if you can't answer the rest.

... update through the phone ...
Not always. Whether we can release recovery ROMs (which can then be passed via OTA and flashed by TWRP automatically) depends on the availability of TWRP for the specific device and Android version. The possibility to "update through the phone" will never be guaranteed.

I get this cannot be guaranteed, and I don't mean to sound like I'm thinking I can shove responsibility on anybody on this (no one can, you pick xiaomi.eu, it's on you).
I just wanted to know if the non-user experience, for now/at this moment, makes it so that if I pick the phone I got (Redmi Note 10 Pro) and install xiaomi.eu on it, and let's say some time goes by and newer version of xiaomi.eu will be present - will it be able to update itself just like in the normal end-user experience (Miui system wise), or will there be some requirements (as in, keep TWRP on the phone or another software)?
Or maybe it won't even be possible to do it via phone alone (for example, I recall someone saying lately that your phone gets info that there is a new update, but you can't upgrade to it via phone alone, you have to Flashboot[am I using the right word?] from the PC)?

In short: So what's the status at the moment with the ability to upgrade itself?

... will it be able to update itself just like in the normal end-user experience (Miui system wise), or will there be some requirements (as in, keep TWRP on the phone or another software)?
Of course TWRP has to stay on your phone... you can't flash unofficial ROMs using the phone any other way.

Or maybe it won't even be possible to do it via phone alone (for example, I recall someone saying lately that your phone gets info that there is a new update, but you can't upgrade to it via phone alone, you have to Flashboot[am I using the right word?] from the PC)?
If we release fastboot ROMs for your device, then yes, you will be able to download them on the phone, but flash them only using fastboot on a PC.

In short: So what's the status at the moment with the ability to upgrade itself?
Check the "ROM Type" for your device in the table in the respective thread. But like I said, it's not permanent and might change depending on TWRP availability.

Reactions: DreadMore
Based on Stable ROMs page https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-13-stable-release.64441/
I see I would have (at the moment, I can buy some other device):
1671545360115.png
1671545325948.png

So let me get this straight: ROM Type is Recovery, not Fastboot (so I guess I would need to update using Recovery, but never done that before)
So installation steps are: need to Unlock Bootloader, install TWRP Recovery by Fastboot, and then copy the ROM to the device, and use "Installation via TWRP" to flash the ROM on the phone. The ROM should have HMNote10Pro in the name.
The ROM file name ends with "12" so I assume it was meant a December update.
Assuming a new version (lets say January of February 2023) comes out, do I always have to download the ROM manually and update by myself?
Or is there some sort of function that goes "Hey, you can update your system, shall we continue" on the xiaomi.eu flashed phone? Or something in between the manual and automatic?

Side question: Does Dialer in that ROM support call recording? I have a lot of pone over deals and my memory is sometime fuzzy and that's why I was willing to change Stock ROM to Xiaomi.eu ROM.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight: ROM Type is Recovery, not Fastboot (so I guess I would need to update using Recovery, but never done that before)
So installation steps are: need to Unlock Bootloader, install TWRP Recovery by Fastboot, and then copy the ROM to the device, and use "Installation via TWRP" to flash the ROM on the phone. The ROM should have HMNote10Pro in the name.
Correct. If it's the first time you install Xiaomi.eu from a stock ROM, make sure auto-rebooting is disabled in TWRP, and once the ROM is flashed, do Wipe -> Format Data. This is mandatory for first install, and it'll remove everything from internal storage as well, so backup whatever important you have there.

The ROM file name ends with "12" so I assume it was meant a December update.
Incorrect. The "v13-12" suffix means it's MIUI 13 based on Android 12. There aren't any kind of date indicators in the file name.

Assuming a new version (lets say January of February 2023) comes out, do I always have to download the ROM manually and update by myself?
Or is there some sort of function that goes "Hey, you can update your system, shall we continue" on the xiaomi.eu flashed phone? Or something in between the manual and automatic?
Our Updater app will notify you when there's an update, and it'll tell you if it's a recovery ROM that can be flashed automatically, or a fastboot ROM that can only downloaded using the app, but you'd have to flash it manually by running a fastboot flashing script on your PC.

Side question: Does Dialer in that ROM support call recording? I have a lot of pone over deals and my memory is sometime fuzzy and that's why I was willing to change Stock ROM to Xiaomi.eu ROM.
All of our ROMs use MIUI Contacts & dialer app (not Google Contacts/Dialer), with full support for call recording (including automatic call recording).

Reactions: JiaiJ