Is this the right way to flash new update?

nickxti

Members
Jul 17, 2011
I can admit that I'm still new to flashing ROM's (1.7.22 was my first ROM) on my G2. I've never seen a good step-by-step guide on how to do this. Below are the steps that I've done, if anyone would be so kind as to tell me if I'm missing anything or can skip something I'd appreciate it a lot.

1. Back up current rom, then after restart backup apps and settings using Titanium & the MIUI backup app
2. Flash the deodex with ROM Manager
3. Once my phone restarts I have to go to the market and reinstall ROM Manager (It would make more sense to restart in recovery but I can't do that since my apps are gone...am I missing something here)
4. Once I reinstall ROM manager, I flash the English pack
5. As a last step I restore apps & settings

I had to do that from memory but I don't think I missed any steps. For me, updating to the newest rom takes maybe 30-45 minutes and that seems like a long time. Basically, it's a big pain to have to restart the phone with a lot of it being in Chinese and and that point having to restore my wifi connection and sign back into the market just to D/L rom manager. Is there a way I can boot into recovery after flashing the deodex? Or is what I described what everyone does?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. I really appreciate it. I think MIUI is the best looking ROM and would really like to stick with it.

I can admit that I'm still new to flashing ROM's (1.7.22 was my first ROM) on my G2. I've never seen a good step-by-step guide on how to do this. Below are the steps that I've done, if anyone would be so kind as to tell me if I'm missing anything or can skip something I'd appreciate it a lot.

1. Back up current rom, then after restart backup apps and settings using Titanium & the MIUI backup app
2. Flash the deodex with ROM Manager
3. Once my phone restarts I have to go to the market and reinstall ROM Manager (It would make more sense to restart in recovery but I can't do that since my apps are gone...am I missing something here)
4. Once I reinstall ROM manager, I flash the English pack
5. As a last step I restore apps & settings

I had to do that from memory but I don't think I missed any steps. For me, updating to the newest rom takes maybe 30-45 minutes and that seems like a long time. Basically, it's a big pain to have to restart the phone with a lot of it being in Chinese and and that point having to restore my wifi connection and sign back into the market just to D/L rom manager. Is there a way I can boot into recovery after flashing the deodex? Or is what I described what everyone does?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. I really appreciate it. I think MIUI is the best looking ROM and would really like to stick with it.

Signed up to reply to this, i know how daunting the whole flashing thing can be at first.

First things first, ALWAYS make a nandroid backup before you do anything. You can do this by restarting into recovery and select backup.

I'm not quite sure why you are flashing from ROM manager, it is generally agreed the best thing is to flash from recovery.

All you need to do is go into ROM manager, then select flash recovery, follow the process, then you should be good to go! You can then get into the recovery from the bootloader (for my phone is it power and volume up to get in, dunno about yours).

You mentioned about apps, flashing from recovery does not mean you lose all your apps, it simply flashes on top. You want to make sure you wipe cache and dalvik.

If you are really worrid about apps, you can download titanium backup and use it to baclup and apps which you can restore if you for some reason lose them.

Now generally this method should work and takes 5-10 minutes. If it is a big update, then you will have to wipe data and boot too , so to start fresh.

Hope this helps

Wow man thanks a lot! That's exactly what I needed...flashing from recovery is the way to go. Nandroid took several minutes, put flashing only took maybe 5. The only thing funny that happened is that my twitter app was gone. I couldn't see myself updating every Friday if it was going to take so long but this is pie.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.