Just bought, and the battery is already dead??

trinity1

Members
Feb 19, 2012
Ok, this is my story. I bought a Mi2S 16GB from ibuygou. Everything went as hoped, and in 5 working days I got the phone, together with 2 backcovers and a screen protector.
I immediately tried to turn on the phone: no way. Ok, the battery needs some charge, I said.
Using original cable and charger I put the phone on charge. I immediately noted the led blinking RED, but I thought it was normal.
... After 4 hours (more or less) the led was still blinking (red). And again the phone didn't want to wake up.
Then I tried different cables/chargers (HTC, Motorola, Samsung): no way.
The only way to see the phone responding is to remove the battery and connect the phone to a PC. Then I can go to recovery mode (but I can't copy any file into the phone since the PC don't see it) or to fastboot mode (and I also tried to use miflash to flash a stock rom, but the problem is that the phone, unlike HTC, for example, doesn't boot up if the battery is off).
In a few words, I think the battery is pretty dead. According to my tester it has 3.47V. Is it good or bad?
What the hell means the led alwyas blinking red?
I got in contact with ibuygou customer support, but they seem to be not willing to replace my battery.

Any ideas? Suggestions (pls avoid sarcasm)?
Do I need to buy another battery?

Trinity1, How are you going with this now?

I got the same problem. Just bought it. but not the same shop as you.

Any defeat in this product release?

Any one can help?

I got the youtube video to see how is look like here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just contact the store for a replacement battery. And no, it isn't normal to have a dead battery on arrival.

Hope everything works out fine!

I have experience on lithium batteries from my main hobby, radio controlled airplanes and helicopters.
On this hobby the majority of the batteries used are lithium - polymer (lipo), and sometimes we face such problems.

When a lipo battery is out of the factory its voltage rate is around 3,80~3,85V and about 60% in capacity
a fully charged (100%) lipo is 4,20V and the critical point to make the battery useless is under 3,00V
So 3.47V is not normal for a brand new battery, but it can be saved.

This lipo battery should be charged at no more than 2Amps, I'm not going to explain it further just accept it as it is :p
Check the charger and I'm sure it has a lower Amp rate!

If you have access to a digital multicharger I suggest the following steps:
1. first of all locate the + and - pins!!
2. set the charger to the lithium - polymer (lipo) program and start charge on very low Amps (around 0,40A will be fine)
3. check periodically the charge state of the battery
4. When the battery reaches around 3,85V when in calm state*, unplug it, insert it in the phone and continue charging as normal

* When charging a lipo battery you will see the Amp rating of the charger is going up and down, like a wave, it's not constant
when Amps go in (i.e. charge rate 0,4A) you will see higher voltage on the battery, when in calm state (i.e. charge rate 0,0A) you will see lower voltage

It will take some time (maybe over an hour) to 'wake up' the battery

If these not work for you, try to 'wake up' the battery with the same procedure but using the NiMH (yes NiMH!!) program on your charger, setting the Amp rate @ 0,2A

------> All these are from my (and my fellows RC pilots) experience! They have saved couple of batteries and never had any problem (leaks, explosions etc.), BUT if you decide to do it, you take all the risks and Ι have no responsibility of your actions!! <------

Hi Danielk,

How I can locate + and - pin?

Also, if I just plug in the 1000mA charger to the phone for long (10 hours), do you think it is going to Wake UP?

Thanks in advance

Hi Anas_xrt,
Sorry but I cannot tell you which pins are + and -, since I don't own this phone (actually I have ordered it and waiting for its arrival!)
but it will be easy to find them using a multimeter

I think 1000mA will be a lot of current to wake up the battery, when I have such problem I use very low currents (such as 0,40A, as I mention on my pst above)
But nevertheless you should try it, it will not harm the battery

BTW, red led blinking is normal when charging if phone is turned off and battery very low, but it usually turns yellow a little after.

I got more than 3 hours charging now, but it does not turn to yellow. Any advise?

However I have plan to just plug the 1000 mA charger (bundle with Mi2s box one) for 10 hours, let see how. I will keep update

Hi Danielk,

Do you mean 0.40A? it equal to 400mA. And you think it is too high. I should find the lower Amp one correct?

If that so, I have the lowest one is .55A = 550mA. Should I change it now. Please advise

yes 0.40A equals 400mA.
try the 550mA, you may have better results than the 1000mA one

I have experience on lithium batteries from my main hobby, radio controlled airplanes and helicopters.
On this hobby the majority of the batteries used are lithium - polymer (lipo), and sometimes we face such problems.

When a lipo battery is out of the factory its voltage rate is around 3,80~3,85V and about 60% in capacity
a fully charged (100%) lipo is 4,20V and the critical point to make the battery useless is under 3,00V
So 3.47V is not normal for a brand new battery, but it can be saved.

This lipo battery should be charged at no more than 2Amps, I'm not going to explain it further just accept it as it is :p
Check the charger and I'm sure it has a lower Amp rate!

If you have access to a digital multicharger I suggest the following steps:
1. first of all locate the + and - pins!!
2. set the charger to the lithium - polymer (lipo) program and start charge on very low Amps (around 0,40A will be fine)
3. check periodically the charge state of the battery
4. When the battery reaches around 3,85V when in calm state*, unplug it, insert it in the phone and continue charging as normal

* When charging a lipo battery you will see the Amp rating of the charger is going up and down, like a wave, it's not constant
when Amps go in (i.e. charge rate 0,4A) you will see higher voltage on the battery, when in calm state (i.e. charge rate 0,0A) you will see lower voltage

It will take some time (maybe over an hour) to 'wake up' the battery

If these not work for you, try to 'wake up' the battery with the same procedure but using the NiMH (yes NiMH!!) program on your charger, setting the Amp rate @ 0,2A

------> All these are from my (and my fellows RC pilots) experience! They have saved couple of batteries and never had any problem (leaks, explosions etc.), BUT if you decide to do it, you take all the risks and Ι have no responsibility of your actions!! <------

ok, I haven't a digital multicharger, but I got car charger with output 700mA. I put the phone on charge just now. Led is blinking red. Let's see if ih helps.
I'll let you know ASAP

After been for 5 hours charge, the LED does not gone to yellow. And I just notices on the battery I found the mark pin off + and -

I use my multimeter and found there is 0 VDC. I use the same way I did on Xperia battery, I found voltage 4.17 VDC.

Is it really DEAD?? I just really don't believed it. I got Dead on Arrival battery.

Any one could confirm?

if your battery is really 0,00V, sorry but there's nothing you can do about it.... :(
even if you charge it, it won't hold the charge.
as I say above 3,00V is a critical point for lipo batteries, I once saved a battery with 2,8V but it was only once

How much time u think I should let the battery charge before checking if the Volt level is increasing?

hmmm.... using a 700mA charger on a 2000mA battery I estimate around 3 hours for full charge
so I say charge with the phone shut down, check the voltage of the battery every 30 minutes
if the battery goes over 3,85V then try charge it with the standard charger

generally speaking, the key to wake the battery up is to slow charge (use as low mA as possible) for long time

Reactions: trinity1
Dear Friend,

I got my phone work already!!

Let me come back to describe, how I did it. Amazing electronic boy advise.

mmm.... Something strange: just a few minutes ago I saw the led changing from red blinking directly to green blinking. Then the big battery icon appeared on the screen (showing 1%). After a couple of seconds it changed into 100% (with the big battery all green coloured). I tried to turn the phone on (maybe I made a mistake) and the mi logo appeared/disappeared twice, then nothing.
Checked voltage, still 3.47-3.48 (but I had to disconnect the phone from the charger, and maybe that's another mistake?...). Nothing seems to be changed.
not good :(

Dear Trinity1,

I think we need to return the battery to seller. Even I can now get it to work but in physically, it is the bad battery.

It works unstable as what you found, this is not the new phone that we paid for.:(

I will inform my seller, and the same time put it on charger, perhaps after tonight we have miracle.

Cheers,

just written to ibuygou customer support reporting back about your and mine (bad and sad) experience. I hope I can get a new battery...

just written to ibuygou customer support reporting back about your and mine (bad and sad) experience. I hope I can get a new battery...

Give me you update via this post, my friend. Perhaps some of our community has same problem. So they can refer.

I believed , it is product defeat from factory.

I just got an email from customer support: they are going to send another battery. In the meantime I'm in contact with a friend who has a digital multicharger and can confirm that the battery is actually damaged (as I guess), or (hope not!) there are problems with phone pins. Within today I should get updates. I'll keep u updated

Sent from my i9100 with tapatalk4

Hi Trinity,

Did you get battery shipped to you?

Myself still waiting, seller send me the battery with no Tracking shipment, she said that I need to wait for 15-30 days, Damm!

I first order with DHL 7 days shipment, now I need to wait for another 15-30 days.. Very SAD!! I can't imagine after I got the Battery, and it happen again.

same problem here. The seller sent the battery with singpost. As of today the tracking system says the battery has been "dispatched overseas". I guess I'll have to as patient as you ;)

Most probably, as soon as I have the mi2s working I'll consider buying another spare battery