Just Confused

japeeu

Members
Mar 20, 2017
I know it is an mtk Redmi note 3, UNLOCKED
I have read a dozen pages on this and main forum
and XDA etc.
Now I am just totally confused!
I have downloaded flashtools and sdks and this that and the other and I simply cannot find a guide for ignorant people like me.
I have 8.1.3.0 LHNCDI and I do NOT want it. Too much Chinese, sorry.

I wouldn't mind this ROM I think this site develops and hosts but I am damned if I can navigate my way to find which version works for my phone and how to do it.

Maybe I have read too much but I am confused and totally fed up with being told to flash things and wipe things and be sure to do this and that.
Please aim me, if such a thing exists, to a guide for ordinary, simple people like me that want an up to date English language ROM with Google and no more constant Chinese ads and redirects etc?
I hope I am finally in the right place. I love this phone but am starting to truly hate the makers.

Reactions: mnikolce
First you flash TWRP https://dl.twrp.me/hennessy/ (latest) from fastboot. from PC you must have ADB tools and drivers (disable driver signature enforcment)...
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (you'll have to rename the downloaded twrp file to twrp.img)
fastboot boot twrp.img
Then enter twrp - FORMAT DATA (erase everything) then use ADB sideload to push the xiaomi.eu ROM: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120715870
there are youtube tutorials...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefano131270
Thank you for a very quick response. I am grateful, but you and many others assume that ordinary people understand what flashing is, what to do with these files once we have them, where to put them. And 'sideload' etc .... means nothing.
Look, I was once an electronics technician, now old and retired but I am not stupid. I have read a lot of pages and spent today Googling stuff.
So I need to connect my PC to my phone? And flash from PC to phone somehow? I don't need SP Flashtool (which only opens on a very uninformative page with scatter file choices etc that mena NOTHING to me. ADB is the go. OK, I have that.
The software doesn't DO anything when I click on it. And should TWRP be on PC or phone? Etc.etc. enter TWRP? Yeah Ok, but how and where and when?
Different tutorials say different things and suggest MANY different methods and bits of software and drivers and PC files and so on.
And WHAT is a kenzo or a kate or a REDMI note 3 as against note 3 sd and note 3G. Mine does LTEa nd 4G, is that then a Note 4G?
Very confusing. And annoying.
Despite good people like yourself, it remains so and I believe it shouldn't be so. But it is, so I shall watch YouTube which I hate and try again. Took me 6 months to convince Xiaomi I only had one phone and one account to get the unlock, from June 2016 until now - but it is unlocked, it tells me so.

Thank you for a very quick response. I am grateful, but you and many others assume that ordinary people understand what flashing is, what to do with these files once we have them, where to put them. And 'sideload' etc .... means nothing.
Look, I was once an electronics technician, now old and retired but I am not stupid. I have read a lot of pages and spent today Googling stuff.
So I need to connect my PC to my phone? And flash from PC to phone somehow? I don't need SP Flashtool (which only opens on a very uninformative page with scatter file choices etc that mena NOTHING to me. ADB is the go. OK, I have that.
The software doesn't DO anything when I click on it. And should TWRP be on PC or phone? Etc.etc. enter TWRP? Yeah Ok, but how and where and when?
Different tutorials say different things and suggest MANY different methods and bits of software and drivers and PC files and so on.
And WHAT is a kenzo or a kate or a REDMI note 3 as against note 3 sd and note 3G. Mine does LTEa nd 4G, is that then a Note 4G?
Very confusing. And annoying.
Despite good people like yourself, it remains so and I believe it shouldn't be so. But it is, so I shall watch YouTube which I hate and try again. Took me 6 months to convince Xiaomi I only had one phone and one account to get the unlock, from June 2016 until now - but it is unlocked, it tells me so.
I understand your situation, I was in same position as you confused, but my will to investigate and resolve things lead me through this and now I can manage xiaomi smartphones with ease. You need some one to guide you, yes it is not one click method, so my explanation is precise and short just to give you a clue but if this is not enough, you should look for help in your place, I for example work and help people around me with Xiaomi.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stefano131270
Well good onya! Thanks for the lessons.
I live alone, I don't like people much and I did think forums like this are a good place to look for tuition threads.

When I boot with vol down or vol up, the phone goes either into fastboot (picture of Chinese army guy shoving a lead into an android) or into a screen with a pic showing usb cord to be connected for miui pcsuite.
No TWRP despite I flashed it from adb.
Any ideas what I do next?

When I boot with vol down or vol up, the phone goes either into fastboot (picture of Chinese army guy shoving a lead into an android) or into a screen with a pic showing usb cord to be connected for miui pcsuite.
No TWRP despite I flashed it from adb.
Any ideas what I do next?
I assume you have unlocked bootloader, so to flash (install) twrp:
1. from STEP 1 download drivers http://en.miui.com/thread-193681-1-1.html
2. disable pc driver signature enforcement: https://thebroodle.com/android/install-mediatek-mt65xx-usb-vcom-drivers-windows-8-8-1/
3. from link https://dl.twrp.me/hennessy/ you have to put twrp file (in pc in ADB folder) the phone in Fastboot (china army guy :) ) open elevated command prompt from ADB folder (with SHIFT+right click) open command window here.
4. phone and pc connected with usb cable. write commands:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (you'll have to rename the downloaded twrp file to twrp.img)
fastboot boot twrp.img

5. when the phone enters in TWRP
- FORMAT DATA (erase everything) - password type: yes
- also in twrp > Advanced click ADB Sideload (put the xiaomi.eu ROM for Hennesy (Redmi Note 3 MTK) in the same adb folder in PC, swipe to start sideload (wipe Dalvik, wipe cache) phone and pc connected with usb cable.
- in the same command window write:
adb sideload ROM.zip
6. WAIT

Remember, first prepare well drivers...

You are very patient and understanding.
I had already done now all the steps up to 5.
It does not enter TWRP.

I will try again later - first, if I do not have a cup of tea and a meal break, the hammer will be my next tool ....

You are very patient and understanding.
I had already done now all the steps up to 5.
It does not enter TWRP.

I will try again later - first, if I do not have a cup of tea and a meal break, the hammer will be my next tool ....
Read this https://twrp.me/devices/xiaomiredminote3mtk.html
try:
Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

fastboot reboot

Note many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, use Google to find the proper key combo to enter recovery. After typing fastboot reboot, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don't follow this step, you will have to repeat the install.

when typing fastboot reboot HOLD volume up button and press enter

when typing fastboot reboot HOLD volume up button and press enter
many tuition notes say VOL DOWN so WELL DONE, that is the bit that changed it all!
It took a few tries to get that bit correct mind you, and a few rewrites of the twrp image as the STOCK replaces the TWRP load with stock boot as you pointed out - if you don't get it right first time.
- well done, I now have TWRP
I can't find the ROM zips I saved from within TWRP for install now but that is another issue lol ... the dalvik/cache/data wipe may have written them away?
THANKS

many tuition notes say VOL DOWN so WELL DONE, that is the bit that changed it all!
It took a few tries to get that bit correct mind you, and a few rewrites of the twrp image as the STOCK replaces the TWRP load with stock boot as you pointed out - if you don't get it right first time.
- well done, I now have TWRP
I can't find the ROM zips I saved from within TWRP for install now but that is another issue lol ... the dalvik/cache/data wipe may have written them away?
THANKS
I have resolved one Note 3 MTK by holding volume up, while pressing fastboot reboot... now copy xiaomi.eu ROM for hennesy in PC/adb folder - rename it to rom.zip, in TWRP/advanced/adb sideload - wipe caches, swipe to start sideload, from pc in open window command type: adb sideload rom.zip (enter) - wait

Note to self: do NOT wipe data first ....
... but hey, you fixed it! It didn't work renaming but when I typed in the full ROM name it did.
I now have a decent ROM
- and mnikolce, you are much appreciated. Thank you.

mnikolce should be credited for being patient and helping me see it through.

Now all working - despite I had some strange problems namely that no keyboard was available at start up despite setting as English, had to change it to English uk to get google keyboard then I was able to download from browser - NOT!

NO INTERNET despite working wifi connection'
- it is a strange wifi setup on this phone in that you need to use WPS to set it with your router to get browsing; if you connect with just the correct password the proxies are wrong and browsers will not connect although Playstore works (huh?). I know, I tried four of them! Opera Mini worked after using WPS. Firefox had complained about proxies and others just said no internet connection ...
Oh well, all good now.

Now, how do I remove bloat I don't want? i.e. remove system apps for better ones 9i prefer vlc for example to music and video preset apps).

I presume for that I will need root?

You used 7.3.16 developer xiaomi.eu rom right? if so, you are on right track.
Music, Video, Mail and Browser are not bloat, I use Browser, Mail app only (no Chrome, no Firefox)... I suggest do not remove these apps, otherwise can make problems with the system (I think so :) ).
Use VLC if you prefer...
Other suggestions: in developer options, scroll to Memory optimization - set it OFF...
Battery will set after 2-3 cicles...
Have a nice time with your new Note 3 ;)

Reactions: japeeu