Location services point to China (fix?)

AirieFenix

Members
Oct 7, 2012
Hi, people! How are you?

I have a Xiaomi Mi-1S running v5. Everything works quite well but the location services. Basically, my phone believes is in China, where I'm actually in Argentina.

The behavior is the following: I open some app that needs location to work. For example, Google Maps, Google Now, etc; the GPS icon on the status bar appears blinking (normal behavior while is locking satellites), but it never stops blinking.

Within the app I see results that should be appear if I were in China (yes, weird). For example, Google Maps shows "my location" pin over a city called Tianjin -near Beijing (I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF ARGENTINA!). Again, the GPS icon never stops blinking.

Or, for instance, Google Now creates a lot of cards giving me currency conversion from USD to yuans, Chinese-English translation, near Beijing interesting points, and so on.

Until now, I tried to re-flash the Gapps; I made a wirebrush from the Chinese V5 and then I updated to MIUI Comunity; I also tried Fast Fix, and GPS Test (that last one solved a similar problem on V4 like 3 months ago); and finally I manually pushed and put the location related .apks to /system/app, both by adb and using ES Explorer.

I don't have almost more ideas. Please help me.

i had this problem before too when i first got the phone.. however it kind of dissappeared after a while.

try wiping cache/data/davlik in the recovery mode first, then enable everything in the location settings
maybe uninstall the chinese gps apps, and disable mock location

i am using 3.4.12 right now, and i havent had issues since 2.8.x ish

i had this problem before too when i first got the phone.. however it kind of dissappeared after a while.

try wiping cache/data/davlik in the recovery mode first, then enable everything in the location settings
maybe uninstall the chinese gps apps, and disable mock location

i am using 3.4.12 right now, and i havent had issues since 2.8.x ish

As Wolf230 asked, which app is the Chinese GPS app? I'm using Google maps downloaded directly from Google Play. The mock location is a dev option, and it isn't enabled by default -I double checked that. I'm desperate, such a good phone and I can't use the GPS, it's simply annoying.

As Wolf230 asked, which app is the Chinese GPS app? I'm using Google maps downloaded directly from Google Play. The mock location is a dev option, and it isn't enabled by default -I double checked that. I'm desperate, such a good phone and I can't use the GPS, it's simply annoying.

it would be great to know which version of miui you are using...

Either way, i would do this :

1. Download the newest MIUI version here
  2. Rename it update.zip and place into microSD card
  3. Go into Recovery
  4. Wipe Data / Cache / Davlik ~ basically use every wipe option, better safe than sorry.
  5. install update.zip to first partition
  6. Reboot into first partition
  7. Attempt to uninstall every apps. You will NOT be able to uninstall an essential SYSTEM app, so dont worry. This will ensure that you removed all the "chinese spam" apps they tried to force upon you.
  8. Download Gapps.zip here, and rename it as update, placed into microSD
  9. Go back into recovery, install update.zip into partition 1 and then reboot.
  10. go to Settings > Location Services > enable all 3 of the options there.
  11. Then try to download and open Google Maps again...

it would be great to know which version of miui you are using...

Either way, i would do this :

1. Download the newest MIUI version here
  2. Rename it update.zip and place into microSD card
  3. Go into Recovery
  4. Wipe Data / Cache / Davlik ~ basically use every wipe option, better safe than sorry.
  5. install update.zip to first partition
  6. Reboot into first partition
  7. Attempt to uninstall every apps. You will NOT be able to uninstall an essential SYSTEM app, so dont worry. This will ensure that you removed all the "chinese spam" apps they tried to force upon you.
  8. Download Gapps.zip here, and rename it as update, placed into microSD
  9. Go back into recovery, install update.zip into partition 1 and then reboot.
  10. go to Settings > Location Services > enable all 3 of the options there.
  11. Then try to download and open Google Maps again...

As I said in my first comment, I'm running V5. I "wire brushed" the Chinese V5 image, and then I updated to the latest version using Recovery. With all the V5 versions the problem exists.

Basically, I do more or less the same thing you propose here. Anyway, I'll follow your guide step by step and see what happens, maybe I forgot something. Thanks.