Mi 11 Lei Jun Special edition is tempting, but should I take the risk?

ShootingHamster

Members
Feb 9, 2021
Hi.

I'm a fairly new Android user. I smashed my 3 year old iPhone 8 Plus back in late december, and luckily I had a Xiaomi Mi A2 as a spare phone in case anything happened to my main. Now, I have been watching Xiaomi for years, and over the years they have become more and more interesting to me, and right now I really am tempted to order one for myself. I watched the entire global release keynote live on youtube, and the Mi 11 Lei Jun Special Edition really caught my eye. They mentioned that it will be released globally as a very limited edition.

Now, I have checked with the official Norwegian Xiaomi Partner, and they are claiming that the global Xiaomi Mi 11 will be released in mid April, and the special edition will be available to order in late April/early May. I don't wanna wait that long. What do you guys think, should I order the Mi 11 Lei Jun Special Edition CN-version, root it, and flash Xiaomi.eu? Is it even possible to get the Xiaomi.eu or Global ROM on the CN-version?

Reactions: pittrich67
I ordered a CN Special Edition and flashed the EU rom on it. After some initial problems with the first flash (you can see my comments in the other thread), it is now running smoothly and I have zero issues. The back of this phone is pretty unique - it shimmers in different colours and the grooves are actually textured into the material which I had not realized before ordering. I think it looks great! I cannot comment on rooting as I do not do it.

Hi.

I'm a fairly new Android user. I smashed my 3 year old iPhone 8 Plus back in late december, and luckily I had a Xiaomi Mi A2 as a spare phone in case anything happened to my main. Now, I have been watching Xiaomi for years, and over the years they have become more and more interesting to me, and right now I really am tempted to order one for myself. I watched the entire global release keynote live on youtube, and the Mi 11 Lei Jun Special Edition really caught my eye. They mentioned that it will be released globally as a very limited edition.

Now, I have checked with the official Norwegian Xiaomi Partner, and they are claiming that the global Xiaomi Mi 11 will be released in mid April, and the special edition will be available to order in late April/early May. I don't wanna wait that long. What do you guys think, should I order the Mi 11 Lei Jun Special Edition CN-version, root it, and flash Xiaomi.eu? Is it even possible to get the Xiaomi.eu or Global ROM on the CN-version?
First of all, congratulations on switching from iOS to Android. As for the global launch of the Mi 11, we all know that the price is outrageously high for Europe. Since it is clear that the Chinese version only differs in terms of the ROM, you should definitely order one in China. If you don't trust AliExpress, you can order from CECT or Trading Shenzhen. The special edition is available there for less than € 700. After receiving the device, you set it up in English, create a new Mi account, wait 7 days and unlock the bootloader. Then you can flash a really excellent ROM. The official global ROM is abundantly limited.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 11 mit Tapatalk

I'm in the US on Tmobile. I have been using Xiaomi phones for several issues for years and never had a problem. I usuall get mine from Giztop. I always get the China varients because they are cheaper than the EEA/Global version and once I can unlock it after the 7 day waiting period, I flash a Xiaomi.eu rom on it. The rom runs flawlessly, but the TWRP is unreliable. Unfortunately, its the only one available right now and the devs seem unwilling to switch back to fastboot roms.

I'm in the US on Tmobile. I have been using Xiaomi phones for several issues for years and never had a problem. I usuall get mine from Giztop. I always get the China varients because they are cheaper than the EEA/Global version and once I can unlock it after the 7 day waiting period, I flash a Xiaomi.eu rom on it. The rom runs flawlessly, but the TWRP is unreliable. Unfortunately, its the only one available right now and the devs seem unwilling to switch back to fastboot roms.
Why should the devs use Fastboot ROMs again when the twrp works for the Mi 11? Surely one might wonder why the development of an official and stable twrp is not progressing. But I believe that we are working hard on it and that it will be published soon.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk

Why should the devs use Fastboot ROMs again when the twrp works for the Mi 11? Surely one might wonder why the development of an official and stable twrp is not progressing. But I believe that we are working hard on it and that it will be published soon.

TWRP isn't stable though. I have had several times where is fails to recognize the pattern I had entered in MIUI for security. When I would get an OTA and it reboots to TWRP, the password/pattern somehow becomes corrupted and it won't decrypt the data. At that point I would need to format and reload everything. With a fastboot upgrade, granted you had to hook up to your PC, but you wouldn't need to reload your data. If I don't enter a password, pattern, FP or face unlock, it works fine and there's no issue, but the device isn't secure in the least.

TWRP isn't stable though. I have had several times where is fails to recognize the pattern I had entered in MIUI for security. When I would get an OTA and it reboots to TWRP, the password/pattern somehow becomes corrupted and it won't decrypt the data. At that point I would need to format and reload everything. With a fastboot upgrade, granted you had to hook up to your PC, but you wouldn't need to reload your data. If I don't enter a password, pattern, FP or face unlock, it works fine and there's no issue, but the device isn't secure in the least.
With the twrp from the forum here I have no problems at all. I use PIN, fingerprint and face unlock. When booting into the twrp, everything is correctly decrypted. I agree, a Fastboot ROM is uncomplicated uncomplicated when it comes to encryption. However, you always need a PC for this. So I find the twrp method easier. It won't be long before there will also be an official twrp.

With the twrp from the forum here I have no problems at all. I use PIN, fingerprint and face unlock. When booting into the twrp, everything is correctly decrypted. I agree, a Fastboot ROM is uncomplicated uncomplicated when it comes to encryption. However, you always need a PC for this. So I find the twrp method easier. It won't be long before there will also be an official twrp.

I am glad that you are not having any issues, but many are. It has been documented in various posts and even a YouTube video. The work around I have seen is to download the rom to your PC and copy it to data/media/0. Then go back and mount the data partition and flash. This was found on the XDA site: "I've read on the miui eu site that its a bug with the Chinese twrp and we need an updated/patched twrp for this to be fixed not sure when is that twrp be release, I got this problem as well and the only workaround is put your rom on root/data/0 for you to be able to flash .zip rom via pc then mount."
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
So I load the ROM directly into my download folder via Chrome, boot into the twrp, give my PIN to decrypt and flash the zip from the download folder. The same goes if you download the zip via the internal updater. All of this works wonderfully here with the twrp from the threat.