Mi 11 Ultra: Unable to access camera lenses in Apps / Camera2-Api

DReffects

Members
May 25, 2021
Hello there,

I've recieved the Mi 11 Ultra on Saturday and having quite a bit of trouble when trying to access the different lenses through 3rd party apps like open camera, droidcam obs and iriun webcam.

I need access to the ultra wide lens with 4K support but currently it seems that only the front and main lens are exposed to apps.

My Firmware is 12.0.6 (Europe/Germany)

Is this something that has been fixed with the 12.5 update or are the lenses still missing?

Thanks!

I think it depends on the application, e.g. for Open Camera user reviews explicitly state that multi-lens support is a lacking feature. I just tried with 12.6 Weekly, Open Camera indeed only accesses the main sensor.
But for example *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* has no problem accessing all lenses (and this was also the case on 12.5 or 12.0.x)....

This is not app related, since I am taking about the camera2 API exposure of the additional lenses. Open camera, Iriun webcam, droidcam obs - they support all lenses that are exposed to the API.
I can switch through all lenses with open camera on a p30 pro just fine, since huawai exposed the cameras to the API

My current phone is the P30 pro and I would like to upgrade.
Would there be no possibility to modify the camera2 API setting on any Xiaomi phone? Even with a custom rom?

I think it depends on the application, e.g. for Open Camera user reviews explicitly state that multi-lens support is a lacking feature. I just tried with 12.6 Weekly, Open Camera indeed only accesses the main sensor.
But for example *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* has no problem accessing all lenses (and this was also the case on 12.5 or 12.0.x)....
This is false information, in open Camera you just enable Camera2 API and if your phone supports Camera2 API then Open Camera will support 2, 3, 4, whatever how many lenses you have.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Pro simply doesn't expose them, only Camera ID 0 and Camera ID 1 have Camera2 API the other 2 lenses are unsupported by Camera2 API - thus not a single app on this planet can use these 2 lenses..

But it's not Open Camera or other apps fault that Xiaomi officially states they do not support more than 1 back camera..
On other phones Open Camera works just fine supporting all lenses - speaking out of experience - but you gotta enable Camera2 API in the settings of Open Camera.. a lot of folks don't seem to know this.

My current phone is the P30 pro and I would like to upgrade.
Would there be no possibility to modify the camera2 API setting on any Xiaomi phone? Even with a custom rom?
No - I tried,Xiaomi officially states not a single camera app on this planet is allowed to use the ultra wide and the telezoom lenses.

This is false information, in open Camera you just enable Camera2 API and if your phone supports Camera2 API then Open Camera will support 2, 3, 4, whatever how many lenses you have.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Pro simply doesn't expose them, only Camera ID 0 and Camera ID 1 have Camera2 API the other 2 lenses are unsupported by Camera2 API - thus not a single app on this planet can use these 2 lenses..

But it's not Open Camera or other apps fault that Xiaomi officially states they do not support more than 1 back camera..
On other phones Open Camera works just fine supporting all lenses - speaking out of experience - but you gotta enable Camera2 API in the settings of Open Camera.. a lot of folks don't seem to know this.
Well, it did not back then - you'll notice my post is three years old....