Mi 8 Pro

matraca

Members
Jul 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I am quite interested in the Mi 8 Pro but also have some questions about it.

1. AFAIK currently there isn't a global version available yet, so I would need to buy the CN version but here I don't have the Google services, correct? What would be the workaround?
2. https://www.xiaomitoday.com/block-global-rom-miui-chinese-market/ -> Is this anything to worry about?
3. I assume both versions are exactly the same hardware-wise (e.g. LTE 800, B20), correct?

Thanks!

1. No global version yet. There are Google services installers, and the rom is workable, but it has lots of chinese.
2. Nothing to worry about if you unlock your bootloader. If you are in china and have a chinese mobile phone number, you can create a mi account and unlock your phone immediately. (One time passcode SMSs sent to authenticate - only . on chinese numbers). Otherwise, with any mi account, you can request unlock and wait 720 hours (30 days).
3. AFAIK, the Pro is basically the same as the Explorer edition - Without the 3D IR face unlock. The other variants the same I unlocked using a friend's Mi account in china - he forwarded the OPT codes he got to authenticate - and I unlocked the bootloader. have the transparent version of the Mi 8 Pro and have a xiaomi eu ROM for the Mi 8 Explorer loaded onto it and it works very well with Google out of the box. The Mi 8 ROMs did not work for the fingerprint readeer etc. TThey all have the same Frequency support AFAIK

After unlocking the bootloader and flashing the available global rom the bootloader needs to remain unlocked otherwise it bricks. I read there are some apps that do not work with an unlocked bootloader (e.g. Netflix, Snapchat), is that correct?

Face unlock isn't anything I really worry about I would just need the fingerprint reader to work and the phone to be stable of course. I assume I can expect this?

Once the global version is released (it started in Taiwan today IIRC) will I be able to have OTA updates like if I would have a global phone?