[Mi 9 Lite] Typing issues with newly replaced screen

Dippndots

Members
Jul 16, 2016
A few weeks ago I dropped my Mi 9 Lite, the screen didn't crack, but there were pink/green/black lines throughout the screen and later in the day the screen was completely black.

Last week I received a replacement AMOLED from AliExpress and installed it with the help of a youtube video. The replacement was pretty straightforward and the screen looked like it was working perfectly.

I later noticed while typing that many of my words would be missing letters. I turned on the letter popup option, so I could see if I was actually just mistyping or something else. And here's where it get's weird; if I type 2 letters fast enough, the letter pops up on the keyboard, but they don't get entered into the text field. I can repeat this very consistently.

I've tried gboard and swiftkey and both have the same problem. I've also tested the touch on apps like Touch Screen Test, and the screen itself is definitely registering the hits, so it doesn't seem like a hardware issue...

Anyone have any ideas?

I would still classify that as a hardware issue. If you don't change ROM but you change screen instead then it happens, pretty easy guess, huh? The touch sampling rate might not be right or needs calibration. I have no idea how to fix, though.

From what I can see the sample rate is around 100hz which sounds adequate. I've run the internal xiaomi calibration test, not sure if there are others out there. I might reopen the phone and try thoroughly cleaning the screen connector with alcohol and air, maybe that'll help.

From what I can see the sample rate is around 100hz which sounds adequate. I've run the internal xiaomi calibration test, not sure if there are others out there. I might reopen the phone and try thoroughly cleaning the screen connector with alcohol and air, maybe that'll help.
I cannot find any data for Mi 9 Lite, but my Mi 9 has 180-240Hz from self testing using this method. 100Hz sounds a bit low to me, even if Mi 9 Lite is not quite the same device as Mi 9.

Interesting, I used the same method. From a quick look, it seems like it's common for the sample rate to be double the screen refresh rate. The Mi 9 is a 90Hz screen, which matches up with your readings, while the Lite is only a 60hz screen. So my 100Hz is a little low. Not sure if I can do anything about that... Might just have to type just a little bit slower :/

I cannot find any data for Mi 9 Lite, but my Mi 9 has 180-240Hz from self testing using this method. 100Hz sounds a bit low to me, even if Mi 9 Lite is not quite the same device as Mi 9.
I tried the method in the linked Video and I got for my Mi 9 Lite a rate between 115-145Hz.
My Phone has its original Display. Hope this info helps a bit.

I tried the method in the linked Video and I got for my Mi 9 Lite a rate between 115-145Hz.
My Phone has its original Display. Hope this info helps a bit.

Thanks for the input, I just double checked again, I'm definitely averaging about 105, the highest I've ever seen it spike is 116. Bummer. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong, but I wouldn't think there is a software fix for this.

I wonder what my chances will be complaining to the seller?...

It's possible that your replacementdisplay has its standard samplerate at about 100Hz. Maybe an other Display from the same seller would end up with exactly the same samplerate

Last edited:
It's possible that your Replacementdisplay has its standard samplerate at about 100Hz. Maybe an other Display from the same Seller would end up with exactly the same samplerate
Very true, I've asked them if they can tell me the sample rate and we'll go from there.