SAngeli

Members
Mar 18, 2016
Hi,
I am helping out a friend of mine having a Xiaomi Mi4 with thiese specs:
Model:: MI 4W
Android Ver: 4.4.4 KTU84P
MIUI Ver: MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.12.4 | Developer

I am aware that since January 2016 Xiaomi released an update to Android Marshmallow.
I am a bit confused whearther this is correct or not. If I check this Italian website of Miui.it I see that for "MI 3 / 4" the only Android availabe firmware is Android 4.4 but it does not make any sense because I know 6.0 is available, somewhere.

miui . it / download-miui

On top of this my friend has issues updating his device. Please see this link.
Please remove empty spaces to recreate link (this forum does not let me post links)
i . imgur . com / vCjshx6.jpg
If he tries to download and install a .zip file, via Updater app, it does fail too.
Example: "xiaomi.eu_multi_cancro_6.3.10_v7-6.0.zip"
If he tries to go into recovery (the one you find from withing Updater app) and update the device fails too.

1. what should I do to solve this Updater fail error?
2. can someone please point me to the correct link on xiaomi.eu for finding the correct multilanguage .zip file (Italian is the desired language) for installing the latest Android 6.0 firmware?
3. is it true that I must first update to MIUI 5.12.17 (because of system partition merge requiremnt) before I can even proceed with Android 6.0 firmware? If so, where to find the correct (cancro) firmware still multilanguage?
4. Do I need to install and use TWRP Recovery for doing all these?

Please let me know.
Thank you....

your friend has currently miui based on android 4.4
moving to marsmallow, he needs first to resize system partitions, which is achieved by updating TWICE 5.12.17 from xiaomi.eu
after that, he can install 6.2.25 from xiaomi.eu that is another key rom as it is installed from xiaomi recovery but installs TWRP which is mandatory to install latest roms. Personnaly I am happy with 6.3.10

Hi and thank you for your reply.
We have a major issue on this device: at present stage it does not allow us to install anything. We alwasy get an error as you can see from a link I posted (please remove empty space between words).
Would it be wise to just install TWRP and then install from .zip both firmwares?
This way I will bypass OS and get the job done.

Last edited:
I d use twrp on mi4. But at your point, I d do a full reinstall with miflash of 7.0.5 global stable fastboot rom and restarts clean from this point.

How to do a full reinstall with miflash?
After having done this, which is fine for me, what is next to do? Follow what you said, meaning upgrade MIUI to 5.1..17 and then to Android 6.x ?
Could you please give some links to follow or reference, if possible? We are not soo experienced with this.
Lasly, to make sure we do not make mistakes, could you kindly give us a direct link from xiaomi.eu for the correct .zip file for MIUI 5.12.17 and then for the latest ver of Android 6.x? This to be safe.
Obviously, the multilanguage version. Many thanks for this...

Hello,
I was finally able to get my hands on the device with my friend. I found your last post very helpful.
Basically all I had to do was installing MIUI 5.12.17 and then MIUI 6.3.17
I was lucky because somehow I did not have those install errors my friend and I were getting. Perhaps, we just downloaded wrong rom files.
Now, I have all up and running properly.

We noticed that the phone is a little bit "slow" or at least slower than previous OS. Is this normal?
When the guide says "Wipe data not needed but recommended" does it mean to do a "factory reset"?
Is this going to help speeding up the device? As far as I know it is a must to do a factory reset when you move from a major ver of Android to another: ex: from 5.x to 6.x
If so, how to make a full backup of entire system (contacts, calendar, notes, pictures......)? We have Mi Account setup and the synchronization is enabled and all data is checked. Is this all I need to make sure of before doing a factory reset? After doing so how do I restore all data? I would assume still through Mi Account, correct? If so how to or does it do it automatically?
As for apps I would assume I will have to install them one by one (which is fine with me) except for WhatsApp that I need to make a full backup of it (and I would assume on Google Drive).

So far I prefer waiting for your responds because we do not want to lose our data but we must make sure the smartphone is not going to rest this "slow".

Thank you

The phone should not be slow. From twrp did you wiped dalvik+cache ?
if not, do it.
Also, you need to update all apps from google playstore. How did you updated to 6.3.17, through mi recovery or twrp ?

for the backup: mi account is good for apps, desktop , sms, it works pretty well.
I do not beleive that you need a factory reset at this point, better apply the points I mentionned above and keep us posted.

Hi,
I did not use TWRP to upgrade. I was able to simply apply upgrades via MIUI updater software.
Did I do wrong is not installing/using TWRP?
If so, should I just install it and wipe dalvik+cache? Can this be done with what currently MIUI comes with?

As for apps, how do I update them if they do not promtp to be updated?

If it installed well, fine but I am surprised it worked.. No need to install TWRP you should have it with your last install. Just bot recovery and you will notice it is TWRP..and wipe If not just verify the or displayed au about phone.

Envoyé de mon MI 4W en utilisant Tapatalk

how can i revert back to android 4.4.4 after install android 6 and TWRP? (i'm in 6.3.24 xiaomi.eu)
i want to downgrade back 4.4.4 and restore mi recovery, its possible?
thanks

Yes it is possible but you need to miflash and restore your data.
On en. MIUI. Com, you will find special flash scripts that you need to install in your kk fastboot extracted rom before miflash. Miflash will pick up those special scripts to rebuild original partitions.

All you need is:
Kk fastboot rom
En. MIUI. Com revert scripts.

Hi guy, I've installed stable Rom for Cancro 7.2.8.0, so I think i followed all the procedure correctly, because else it will not works right?
But I'm not sure that the 2 partitions were merged, and I get many problems, like battery drain, low audio, gps signal, now I'm trying to reflash it and I get this error "failed to mount", but after that it continue flash. Do you think I did something wrong?
Thank you

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 542
Hi guy, I've installed stable Rom for Cancro 7.2.8.0, so I think i followed all the procedure correctly, because else it will not works right?
But I'm not sure that the 2 partitions were merged, and I get many problems, like battery drain, low audio, gps signal, now I'm trying to reflash it and I get this error "failed to mount", but after that it continue flash. Do you think I did something wrong?
Thank you
Message is normal, but what was your starting point, and did you wipe data?

Message is normal, but what was your starting point, and did you wipe data?
Before i was with the 7.1.3.0 after that I installed the 5.12.17 for merge the partitions(how to check if they are merged? The free space looks same) and then I installed the 7.2.8.0, correct?

Hi,
aftwer a week I upgraded my fried's MI4 to latest Android firmware I report that all seems to be working fine. My friend notices only that when he opens some apps (if I correctly understood) it is just a bit slower than before. So, I offered him to factory reset the device and start from scratch installing all apps.
I only wish to make sure I do not make mistakes in the procedure I will follow. Can someone please confirm/corret my steps?
My goal is to make sure backup on mi Cloud is done properly. I wish to make sure I save contacts, calendar, notes. For the rest, pictures included I will do manually with a PC.
1. I make sure backyup is updated.
2. I factory reset the mi4
Settings -> Backup & reset -> Factory Data Reset -> Reset Device -> OK
3. I restore all data from mi Cloud but this is what I do not know how to do.

Can someone please teach me the correct steps for not loosing data and restoring them once the phone is reset?

Thank you

Hi,
aftwer a week I upgraded my fried's MI4 to latest Android firmware I report that all seems to be working fine. My friend notices only that when he opens some apps (if I correctly understood) it is just a bit slower than before. So, I offered him to factory reset the device and start from scratch installing all apps.
I only wish to make sure I do not make mistakes in the procedure I will follow. Can someone please confirm/corret my steps?
My goal is to make sure backup on mi Cloud is done properly. I wish to make sure I save contacts, calendar, notes. For the rest, pictures included I will do manually with a PC.
1. I make sure backyup is updated.
2. I factory reset the mi4
Settings -> Backup & reset -> Factory Data Reset -> Reset Device -> OK
3. I restore all data from mi Cloud but this is what I do not know how to do.

Can someone please teach me the correct steps for not loosing data and restoring them once the phone is reset?

Thank you
First of all be careful with factory data because it could generate problems with market or else.. But on my Mi4 all works..
Did you try before to do wipe data cache dalvik from TWRP?..
If this don't work IMHO factory reset is ok.. But before do a local backup (settings) and save it on pc..
For safety I would also do a twrp backup..
So..
1. Backups
2. Wipe cache data dalvik
3. Factory reset
4. Restore backup (imported data from pc obviously)

Inviato dal mio MI 4LTE utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi mycro7 and thank you for your reply.
Yes, I did a wipe of data cache dalvik from TWRP but my friend reports that he still notices a slight delay in some applications before it was not there.

I read the link you provided me and it is very useful as it explain step by step how to perform a backup. I was under the impression that full backup can also be done on Mi Cloud. Doing it on a local PC is for sure safe but can you please also tell me if Mi Cloud is as valid as doing it locally on the PC? Also, could you please tell me if backup and restore procedures on local PC are valid also for Mi Clould?

Thank you

Hi mycro7 and thank you for your reply.
Yes, I did a wipe of data cache dalvik from TWRP but my friend reports that he still notices a slight delay in some applications before it was not there.

I read the link you provided me and it is very useful as it explain step by step how to perform a backup. I was under the impression that full backup can also be done on Mi Cloud. Doing it on a local PC is for sure safe but can you please also tell me if Mi Cloud is as valid as doing it locally on the PC? Also, could you please tell me if backup and restore procedures on local PC are valid also for Mi Clould?

Thank you
I don't know because I never used Mi account..

Inviato dal mio MI 4LTE utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi guys, after 1 week of using the new miui 7.2.8.0 I'm not satisfied at all.
Mobile is slower, when open some foto or broeser it stuck for many seconds, battery life is less than before 30%. GPS symbol stay on the display even if i turn it off.
I tried to reflash the image and do a factory reset but is the same.
How is possible that this is a stable rom?

Reactions: jc rey