Mi4c Android 5.1.1 To 7.0

1. transfer 6.12.22 to phone
2. boot to TWRP MAKE FULL BACKUP! STORE THIS TO COMPUTER OR OTHER SECURE PLACE! and install 6.1.22, wipe dalvic&cache
3. boot to 6.12.22
4. transfer 7.2.9 firmware to phone
5. boot to TWRP and install 7.2.9, wipe dalvic&cache
6. boot to 7.2.9
7. transfer 7.9.21 to phone
8. boot to fastboot, use "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" "fastboot boot twrp.img" in commmandline of your comp to install new TWRP 3.1.1
9. boot to TWRP and install 7.2.9, wipe dalvic&cache
10. boot to your brand new miui 9, wait for it to start may take like 15 mins or so.

Yes you can skip some parts if you like, but this is the "fool proof" method.
Remember you can always check if your phone is unlocked from fastboot by typing "fastboot oem device-info", and unlock if nesessary.
Needed files:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=137906 (6.12.22)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767138866 (7.2.9 firmware)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=206831 (TWRP 3.1.1)
https://devs-lab.com/download-minimal-adb-fastboot-tool.html (ADB & Fastboot minimal setup)
And latest beta from https://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/ (miui 9 betas)

Edit. if you dont know how to use fastboot to install TWRP, you must first unlock your bootloader with tool you get from Xiaomi, and after you have succesfully applied for the unlock. You use commandline of your computer, go to fastboot install directory, while you phone is attached to computer and booted to fastboot mode (volumedown and power, untill you see fastboot reading at your screen)

Great post! Couple of questions..

At the step number 5 you said that we install 7.2.9, but than again in step 9 you say that we install 7.2.9? Why do we need to install it twice?

What is 7.9.21 in the step 7?

In what point will my bootloader get locked?

Needed files:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=206831 (TWRP 3.1.1)

Edit. if you dont know how to use fastboot to install TWRP, you must first unlock your bootloader with tool you get from Xiaomi, and after you have succesfully applied for the unlock. You use commandline of your computer, go to fastboot install directory, while you phone is attached to computer and booted to fastboot mode (volumedown and power, untill you see fastboot reading at your screen)

One more question - I already have TWRP 2.8.7.1. on my Xiaomi Mi4c. What is the easiest way to update TWRP to 3.1.1. version? Can I just install new TWRP image via TWRP?

I followed the instructions from TWRP website:

TWRP Install (Requires TWRP 2.8.4 or higher already installed):
Download the latest TWRP image file (.img) from the download link and boot TWRP. Go to install and find and select the Images... button. Browse to the image that you downloaded and select it. Choose recovery and swipe to flash.

But now when I try to enter recovery, my phone just turns off lol

Hi @BlackWolf , great tutorial. What about latest Miui9 ROM (beta). Do you like it? Battery life and temperature are fine?
Not too good battery. Only real difference is split screen, works fast and doesnt heat up too much. Cant say much more.
Great post! Couple of questions..

At the step number 5 you said that we install 7.2.9, but than again in step 9 you say that we install 7.2.9? Why do we need to install it twice?

What is 7.9.21 in the step 7?

In what point will my bootloader get locked?
My mistake, ofc step 7 meant to install newest beta/stable.

Bootloader may get locked at the point where you switch from android 5.1.1 (lollipop) to android 7.0 (nougat) It doesnt affect usage, you just cant install new TWRP without unlocking first. Phone and new system works fine even with locked bootloader.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions from TWRP website:

TWRP Install (Requires TWRP 2.8.4 or higher already installed):
Download the latest TWRP image file (.img) from the download link and boot TWRP. Go to install and find and select the Images... button. Browse to the image that you downloaded and select it. Choose recovery and swipe to flash.

But now when I try to enter recovery, my phone just turns off lol
What version of TWRP did you install? Not all versions are compatible with both android 5.0 and 7.0, if you end up with black screen you have probably installed one of those.

Also TWRP may differ for each phone, so ALWAYS download one from threads either here or from XDA developers under mi4c.

For me TWRP doesnt even allow (cant see install file) for itself to be installed from TWRP, always using adb & fastboot tools. Hard for me to know how it all works, but TWRP is like PC bios and installing new bios over old one while being at the old one sounds like bad idea.

Reactions: Mr.Tokich
Custom roms installation is a very risk procedure. Please be careful
Thats is why you ALWAYS! Make full backup of you phone before you install anything new!

After that risks are pretty nominal as you can always revert back to where you were.

What version of TWRP did you install? Not all versions are compatible with both android 5.0 and 7.0, if you end up with black screen you have probably installed one of those.

Also TWRP may differ for each phone, so ALWAYS download one from threads either here or from XDA developers under mi4c.

For me TWRP doesnt even allow (cant see install file) for itself to be installed from TWRP, always using adb & fastboot tools. Hard for me to know how it all works, but TWRP is like PC bios and installing new bios over old one while being at the old one sounds like bad idea.

I installed the version from your link. My bootloader got locked. I unlocked it using MI Unlock. Used adb&fastboot tools to install twrp-3.1.1-1-libra.img from this link: https://dl.twrp.me/libra/

I followed this instructions:

On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:

adb reboot bootloader

You should now be in fastboot mode.

Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

fastboot reboot

But when I reboot to system and try to reboot to recovery, it simply reboots back to system again :/

So I read and tried this (its from the same link):

Note many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, use Google to find the proper key combo to enter recovery. After typing fastboot reboot, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don't follow this step, you will have to repeat the install.

I tried holding Volume down and Power after I typed fastboot reboot, but it wont boot to TWRP :/

Can you see what I did wrong?

I installed the version from your link. My bootloader got locked. I unlocked it using MI Unlock. Used adb&fastboot tools to install twrp-3.1.1-1-libra.img from this link: https://dl.twrp.me/libra/

I followed this instructions:

On your device, go into Settings -> About and find the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to enable developer settings. Press back and go into Developer Options and enable USB debugging. From your computer, open a command prompt and type:

adb reboot bootloader

You should now be in fastboot mode.

Download the correct image file and copy the file into the same folder as your adb and fastboot binaries. Rename the image to twrp.img and type:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

fastboot reboot

But when I reboot to system and try to reboot to recovery, it simply reboots back to system again :/

So I read and tried this (its from the same link):

Note many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, use Google to find the proper key combo to enter recovery. After typing fastboot reboot, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don't follow this step, you will have to repeat the install.

I tried holding Volume down and Power after I typed fastboot reboot, but it wont boot to TWRP :/

Can you see what I did wrong?

In xiaomi volume down + power = fastboot. volumeup + power = TWRP. You can also get straight to TWRP (if working) from your system by going to settings-> my device -> miui version -> three small dots at right up corner and boot to recovery. Or 5.1.1 you go to settings, my device, and update from bottom and there you find same three dots and update to recovery.

I would suggest you connect phone to PC go to fastboot and run "fastboot oem device-info", sound like you may still have locked bootloader and thats why TWRP doesnt install.

Reactions: Mr.Tokich
It says device unlocked: true

I unlocked it 30 minutes ago and now I checked again.

I tried again, installed via fastboot, pressed Volume up + Power, this time there was a mi logo and loading bar under it, but when I booted back to system and went to update > reboot to recovery, again it simply turned off and instead booting to twrp, I see mi logo again and nothing happens :/

Should I try with another version of TWRP? Which one do you recommend? In the link from your post, there are 3 versions of twrp, which one should I download?

Do I need to install the new version of TWRP before or after I installed 7.2.9.? Because I havent install 7.2.9. yet, that might be the problem?

1. install 7.2.9 with TWRP 3.0.2.0
2. In TWRP flash new TWRP 3.1.1.1
3. Correct
4. Not needed you installed 7.2.9 in step #1
5. Correct
6. Correct
7. Yes...to avoid issues
8. Correct

Hi,

I flashed a rom when I bougth mi 4c almost 2 years ago and flashed rom 6.12.22 a few months ago. So I do not know much about how to proceed.

I have my mi 4c with rom 6.12.22 and TWRP 3.0.2.0 right now.
I have downloaded 7.2.9 firmware, rom 7.2.9 and twrp 3.1.1.1

What should I do the next?

1. install 7.2.9 (firmware) with TWRP 3.0.2.0
2. In TWRP flash new TWRP 3.1.1.1
3. Reboot in recovery.
4. Flash rom 7.2.9 or can I flash any other rom? If I can flash any rom, which one do you recommend?
5. Wipe cache/ dalvik cache
6. reboot phone.

In case in step 4 I have to flash rom 7.2.9 would I be able to flash after step 6 a different rom or will my bootloader will be locked.

Thanks in advance.

Flash 7.2.9 ...afterwards unlock bootloader if becomes locked...then you can Flash other ROMS....the reason for flashing 7.2.9 is other versions have a different bootloader...if you do it with this method you avoid the wrong bootloader....

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk
Hi again,
First of all I would like to thank you for your advices. I flashed the rom as you described and everything worked fine. I do not know if my bootloader is locked right now but I flashed rom 7.2.9 and I was not happy with that rom so I decided to flash with twrp rom 7.4.20 and I could do it without problems just like slymozis said.
I am not really happy with android N roms but also 6.12.22 wasn´t that good for me due to the battery duration. Maybe the problem is my battery because the phone is almost 2 years old.

I am not sure about what to do right now. Do you recommend any android N rom??

I was thinking to try with stable rom from xiaomi.com, but I have doubts. Can I flash a stable rom if I have twrp ?

Could you explain me how to go to xiaomi.eu rom to a stable rom?
And last question if I flash a stable rom and I charge my back up from my mi account will I have my apps like play store?

Probably I will have to buy a new phone.

Thank you!!

I cannot suggest any N ROMS at this point...they are MIUI 9 and not Android N per se...
You have to use MiFlash tool to flash an official stable ROM...you will lose TWRP recovery it will be overwritten by Mi Recovery...
You will get some of your apps back(depending on what apps they are) from MiCloud backups...but you will not have Google Play Store....

P.S. I also have a two year old Mi4c and I have noticed lately the battery seems to be not as fresh as it was in the past....you might want to purchase another battery and go back to 6.12.22 see how that works out...(yes you can change the battery)....

Thanks for everything.

I think I will go back to 6.12.22. As I flashed 7.2.9 firmware can I install straight away 6.12.22 with TWRP 3.1.1.1 or do I have to do anything else?

Hey guys, this post helpt me a lot because I was in 6.12.22 and wanted to upgrade. I successfully installed 7.2.9 and TWRP 3.0.2 (I guess), but this 7.2.9 brought to me some glitches and errors, so I'd like to get a better version. Which version do you reccomend me? Should I follow any particular steps to do so?

Also, I've read that TWRP 3.1 allows you to do a backup to store it directly into your PC. Do I need an specific ROM to install that TWRP?

Hello, I just updated from 6.12.22 to 7.2.9 twrp - latest, firmware 7.2.9. Now whenever I try to put a newer rom version through twrp recovery it won't boot.. It shows miui then it disappears and does nothing.

Anything I might have missed?

Thanks

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Just tried it with that version and I got the same thing: when rebooting it's looping with mi logo
Ps: I tried to update to 7.9.21. If I go back to recovery and flash 7.2.9 it works again

I managed to get it working using a specific roms:
1. 6.12.22
2. 7.2.9(android 7)
3. 7.7.20(latest miui8)
4. 7.8.17(first miui9)

Now I can get updates through ota.

Thanks for your help!

Ps: those were the steps I followed.. I never got bootloader locked again but after 7.2.9 I got the issues mentioned before.

Reactions: iamme729
Since I struggled to update to the latest version, I will update here my finding.
I asked and received permission to officially unlock my bootloader and now the update works.
I am just now updating to 7.10.26 and then will move to the next release.

Hope it helps!

PS: the permission came within a few hours(around ~8h)

Reactions: iamme729
Hi,

i have installed the last rom miui 9 with the last fastboot rom (on en.miui.com 7.11.9).
Everything it's ok.
Then, i installed google installer in order to install flashify.
I took the root acces.
I install the twrp 3.1.1.1 libra with flashify. Reboot in recovery in order to install the xiaomi.eu.
Install ok
I reboot, but i stay on the logo miui android ... i don't know why ?

Some help please ?

Last edited: