Mi5s Plus - Upgrading From Android 6.0 To 7.0

Sutek

Members
Dec 9, 2016
I bought a used Mi5s Plus. The phone has bootloader unlocked, old MIUI 8.1 xiaomi.eu 6.10.20 (dev) and TWRP 3.0.2-X by BY~XM 201601001. The plan is to flash xiaomi.eu MIUI 9.0 (stable) based on Android 7.0 and do it correctly and without risk of bricking the phone.

On ROMS DOWNLOAD section there is a manual (printed in red, so I think it's very important) how to do this in the case of Mi5:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release

In the case of my Mi5s Plus, should I do it similarly - flash the latest developer MIUI based on Android 6.0, then update TWRP (which version will be suitable?) and finally flash MIUI 9.0 (stable) based on Android 7.0?

1) Download Mitools;
2) Download latest rom;
3) Mitool will install latest TWRP and will ask for the rom you have downloaded; show the way you have put it and wait. Be happy.

The way I did it on my Mi5s was:
1. Install twrp latest version via fastboot
2. Install baseband (modem) via fastboot by extracting the file from the global stable official xiaomi fastboot rom (. Tgz file)
3. Advanced wipe of system, data in twrp
4. Install xiaomi.EU stable 9.1 rom (.zip file) via twrp

The reason for step 2 is xiaomi.eu roms don't include the baseband(modem) firmware. You could possibly skip this step as I believe some people do but that would mean you have a baseband for android 6 with an android 7 rom so might not always work best together

Thanks, just to be sure to update baseband I have to this type command:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

Also, I just realised the global stable miui9 has been pulled so perhaps get the modem from the latest global dev rom if that's miui9

I'm a little bit confused. I've just downloaded:
  1. latest Global Stable ZIP ROM,
  2. latest Global Stable TGZ (fastboot) ROM,
  3. latest xiaomi.eu Stable ROM
and all of them contain NON-HLOS.bin file. And this file is exactly the same (byte to byte) in all archives. So are you really sure that xiaomi.eu ROMs don't include the baseband (modem) firmware?

I'm a little bit confused. I've just downloaded:
  1. latest Global Stable ZIP ROM,
  2. latest Global Stable TGZ (fastboot) ROM,
  3. latest xiaomi.eu Stable ROM
and all of them contain NON-HLOS.bin file. And this file is exactly the same (byte to byte) in all archives. So are you really sure that xiaomi.eu ROMs don't include the baseband (modem) firmware?
Hmm, in that case, no I'm not 100% sure. Feel free to install without the modem step I mentioned and then we can compare baseband versions

OK, I'll do it after Christmas. Now I'm going on a small vacations. Merry Christmas to all Xiaomi users.

I'm back and I've successfully upgraded my phone directly to MIUI 9.1.3. My baseband version is: TH20c1.9-1124_1608_399971f

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-28-19-02-39-010_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-28-19-02-39-010_com.android.settings.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 428
I'm back and I've successfully upgraded my phone directly to MIUI 9.1.3. My baseband version is: TH20c1.9-1124_1608_399971f
Hello, I have a new Mi5S Plus and want to install latest MIUI.EU dev rom. So, do I have to follow:
How to update MI5 to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done

or is this only for Mi5?

Can I just:

- Flash latest China Dev fastboot rom
- Unlock the device
- Flash TWRP-3.2.1-0-natrium.img
- Install latest MIUI.EU dev zip rom with TWRP?

Yes. Moreover, if you don't have fake MIUI you can try to skip first step.
I will flash the fastboot rom just in case.
Just tried to unlock the Mi5splus, but I have to wait 72 hours.
Or is there another way?

So, the manual in red is only for the Mi5? I read a lot of crashed Mi5 devices because of a badly uprgade. It won't happen to the Mi5splus?

Manual in red is for upgrading from existing xiaomi.eu ROM. If you flash latest China Dev fastboot ROM you will already have Android 7.0.

Reactions: Alexiaomi
Oh great, your baseband version is newer than mine so also got upgraded. I took an unnecessary step when I did mine then!