New Mi9 9.12.5

kokesh

Members
Sep 27, 2019
Can't use Messages (Google SMS). It just shows a button "set as default" instead of messages. It is a default.

Edit: all Read/Write SMS permissions were denied. Switch to new permission manager in this weekly is quite botched. Most aps have to ask for permissions again while some get everything denied.

Just go to manage apps, press the three dots, and press messaging. Click on Google messages

Problem is in permissions manager, app gets set as default for messaging just fine, but doesn't get required permissions for some reason (and permission manager doesn't show the allow/reject dialogue, so it can only be fixed by opening Google Messages app information and giving all required permissions manually)

Can't use Messages (Google SMS). It just shows a button "set as default" instead of messages. It is a default.

Edit: all Read/Write SMS permissions were denied. Switch to new permission manager in this weekly is quite botched. Most aps have to ask for permissions again while some get everything denied.

[OT req]
Kokesh, if you have Instagram installed, could you try this please?

It's impossible to upload videos longer than 15 seconds on Instagram stories.
Only first part of the video is published.
Other parts (second, third and so on) remain pending resulting in error few seconds later.
This bug is not present in MIUI 11 Stable.

Thank you

I can confirm, that it's working if I manually grant all the necessary permissions to my Signal app. Normally this would be done automatically, when changing default messaging app. It's a workaround, but I still think this should be considered a bug. Unless it's a new default behavior in Android, and therefor should be expected.

Me too, cant use messages - 'set default SMS' button stays unclickable and permissions seem to reset themselves. Setting system as default then trying to change back doesnt change this, clearing caches etc does nothing, re-installing does nothing. I really like this ROM but this is a bit of a problem, if anyone can advise a workaround to get google messages up again I'd be grateful.

I can confirm, that it's working if I manually grant all the necessary permissions to my Signal app. Normally this would be done automatically, when changing default messaging app. It's a workaround, but I still think this should be considered a bug. Unless it's a new default behavior in Android, and therefor should be expected.

OK, following your lead here, manually allocating all permissions does allow messages to function! Many thanks! It's definitely a bug though - if you do manage to set it as default and then you restore sms through, say, 'sms backup and restore' - which temporarily allocates default status to itself - then you have to do the whole manual permissions thing again.

Last edited: