MIPAD in-depth Review

Vio

Members
Jan 15, 2013
Hi I'm a lucky guy who got his mipad yesterday, so i decided to make a review for all the people who have to wait or think of buying a mipad. I only have it for one day so i'll have to update some things in the future (battery life,..). :)

How i got it:
I preordered the 16GB version from ibuygou.com on the 4th of June and paid 100$ as a deposit. They told me to wait till the release to pay the rest. ibuygou.com got it on the 3rd of July and I paid 250$ ( 30$ shipping included) on the 7th because I wasn't at home all weekend.
The shippment started on the 8th and i recieved it on the 10th via DHL. AWESOME!!!

Package:

IMG_20140710_161145.jpg

IMG_2014070_161145.jpg

IMG_20140711_134530.jpg

The package included:
  • MIPAD device
  • OTG cable
  • charger + EU adapter
  • microUSB cable
  • MiKey (preorder gift)
  • MiTu
  • description (chinese only)
Screen:
The screen is super sharp and has very nice colours ( you can expect that from a retina display..).
It can be as bright as a mi2 screen but it can be way darker which is nice for reading in the dark for example.

Sound:

IMG_20140711_134736.jpg

The stereospeakers sound clear and very loud which i didn't expect. First I thought the placement is bad cause they are on the backside but thats not a problem. Still sounds great when laying on a table or when holding it in landscape mode.

Softkeys:

IMG_20140711_141304.jpg

The softkeys are only visible when they glow, so it's a bit hard to find them in the dark (I will get used to it of course).
One thing i don't like about them is that xiaomi changed the left key from menu to a recent apps button. When you press it you get this sceen ( similar to normal v5):

Screenshot_2014-07-11-13-10-56.png

It's ok that way but I would prefer to press and hold the middle button for the recent apps and have a menu button...

ROM:

Screenshot_2014-07-11-12-51-59.png

Screenshot_2014-07-11-15-04-49.png

Screenshot_2014-07-11-13-10-28.png

The rom is a bit different than normal v5 and I don't just mean the way it looks. I updated to MIUI 4.7.4 via recovery to get rid of the stable rom and get the play store.

The problem is that there are missing a lot of apps just like security center, themes, updater,...
On the homescreen picture you can see everything thats included (+ a few apps i downloaded^^).
Also there are a few bugs..
But these are problems which hopefully will be fixed by the devs in the next few weeks!

Screenshot_2014-07-11-15-05-11.png

Theres also a new widget-homescreen where you are only able to put widgets on(I bet you didn't expect that :p), but there are just a few nice looking ones like these.

Another bad thing in my opinion is that they removed the options function in the system apps and put them together in the options app:

Screenshot_2014-07-11-13-09-54.png

Camera:

IMG_20140711_134807.jpg

The camera performance is good for a tablet. I've taken some test picures and also a comparison between the mipad and mi2:
Test 1
Test 2
Mipad vs Mi2

They changed the camera app and removed important options, it's like simple mode now. I really don't know why they didn't use the stock v5 camera...

Screenshot_2014-07-11-15-10-11.jpg

Performance & Gaming:

I'm satisfied with the overall performance. The UI is not as smooth as kitkat for example but thats not mipads fault, v5 is just not as smooth as it should be..

The benchmark test shows what the new tegra can do ;)

Screenshot_2014-07-11-12-52-35.png

For 2D gaming i tried geometry dash and for 3D real racing 3. Both games run fluently and look nice. Real racing isn't that sharp but again I don't think thats mipads fault.

Screenshot_2014-07-11-14-07-19.png

Screenshot_2014-07-11-14-00-51.jpg

I'm very happy with my new tablet and I would recommend it because you can't get any better for that price. The only problems are software based so that should be fixed soon.

If you like this review please leave a like ;)
If you want to know something, just ask!

Last edited:
Can you give me the REAL dimension of the screen?. Only the screen, in cm, please.
I'm looking for a real 4:3 8'' tablet, like iPad mini

Can you give me the REAL dimension of the screen?. Only the screen, in cm, please.
I'm looking for a real 4:3 8'' tablet, like iPad mini
its as big as the ipad mini, so the screen should be the same..
but i will measure it tomorrow!

Reactions: realtebo
Same opinion about that left key. The way its done on Xiaomi is more comvenient. I guess they wanted to make it as simple as possible. But it would be better if they let the user decide...

Same comment for the system app settings...

Screen is 7.9": 12x16 cm

Reactions: realtebo and Vio
Thanks for doing this review! Just some questions if you ever have the time to answer them:

I haven't used MIUI before so I need to know if it's possible to use custom icon packs on the default launcher, the skin looks really nice though.
How smooth is the animation transition?

Could you also try to do more gaming tests? I've strolled around the Baidu threads before coming here and a lot of people said that they had their MiPad crash when they play a 3D airplane game. (I wonder why is that. Could it be a software or a hardware problem?)

By the way, do you think that ibuygou will eventually sell the 64GB version on their site? 16GB just isn't enough for me. Also, some people also reported to have met screens with yellow tint, does ibuygou accepts return?

Lastly, it's coming from a noob like me but... having brought cheap Chinese tablets in the past and they broke after 3 days of use(the receiving MicroUSB digitalizer died), do you think that the build is solid coming from Xiaomi? I tend to drop stuffs a lot and it'll be really helpful to know, thanks. (I don't like the idea of warranty because dealing with resellers is troublesome.)

Thanks for doing this review! Just some questions if you ever have the time to answer them:

I haven't used MIUI before so I need to know if it's possible to use custom icon packs on the default launcher, the skin looks really nice though.
How smooth is the animation transition?

Could you also try to do more gaming tests? I've strolled around the Baidu threads before coming here and a lot of people said that they had their MiPad crash when they play a 3D airplane game. (I wonder why is that. Could it be a software or a hardware problem?)

By the way, do you think that ibuygou will eventually sell the 64GB version on their site? 16GB just isn't enough for me. Also, some people also reported to have met screens with yellow tint, does ibuygou accepts return?

Lastly, it's coming from a noob like me but... having brought cheap Chinese tablets in the past and they broke after 3 days of use(the receiving MicroUSB digitalizer died), do you think that the build is solid coming from Xiaomi? I tend to drop stuffs a lot and it'll be really helpful to know, thanks. (I don't like the idea of warranty because dealing with resellers is troublesome.)
Hi :)
Usually there comes a themes app with miui,where users upload their designs (just google it or search on miui.com if you want to see some, there are great ways of customization), but it's missing on the mipad. Hopefully they will add it in the future..
Animations are not as smooth as stock android but still smooth enough for me. Maybe a custom launcher solves this problem, but I like the miui launcher the most.
I will try more games! I hope it's a software problem but I don't know. Maybe the 4:3 resolution messes with the games. I haven't heard of any other 4:3 android tablet.
I'm sure they will sell the 64gb version but I don't know when xiaomi will release it. There are a lot of preorders for the 64gb version on ibuygou so you won’t be in the first batch eventually.
Why don't you add a microsd card?
They accept returns but I'm not sure if the shipping is free, but there is a maintenance center in Europe.

I trust in the quality of xiaomi. Friends of mine also have xiaomi phones and there weren't any big problems yet. One time my mi2 screen broke ( I drop my phone a lot..), I ordered a new one on ibuygou and replaced it by myself, wasn't a big problem. I don't think dropping a tablet is a good idea so be carefull^^

There are some chinese pages talking about mipad root so its definitively possible.

Xiaomi isnt cheap chinese s**t products but I'm careful with my things so rarely dropped them =)

nice review thank you! my mipad is on the way from ibuygou!
Isn't it possible to change the action of the softkeys in the options? on the mi2 you can choose what the home / menu and back buttons do

amazing tablet, thank you for this nice review, hoping that Xiaomi will make a 10 inch tablet soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
acheter galaxy s5 iphone 6

Last edited:
nice review thank you! my mipad is on the way from ibuygou!
Isn't it possible to change the action of the softkeys in the options? on the mi2 you can choose what the home / menu and back buttons do
hi,
thank you! (leave a like if you want :p)
would like to try that but the settings force close when i open the button settings..
i'll update my rom and try it again!

amazing tablet, thank you for this nice review, hoping that Xiaomi will make a 10 inch tablet soon
thank you :)
leave a like if you want, thanks :)

i was hoping for a 10 inch version of the mipad, but now i think 10 inch is to big for me. 7,9 seems like the perfect size. :D

I see its gift wrapped, looks nice! What country did you have it shipped to? Did it fool customs? Just worried that a box so big might make it difficult to convince the customs agents its an 'MP5 player' heh. Oh also, LOL @ 'ananas', thats funny.

I live in austria and never had problems with customs. I know someone who had problems without the gift - trick.
I think it really depends on the country..

I always name wifi hotspots, routers... after fruits :D

Reactions: jauling
Google for VROOT, it runs on computer and will root the Mi Pad.

You can than install latest version of SuperSU from Google Playstore.

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

Our xiaomi.eu rom for mipad is already rooted..

~Tapatalk~