MIUI 10 - Android 8.1 base vs 7.1 base, what are the differences?

CosmicDan

Members
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys,

I want to ask others with recent experience what differences they know of MIUI 10 based on Oreo 8.1 vs Nougat 7.1. Technical capability, to be specific. Is 7.1 missing out on anything? Security updates?

Background (skip this if you don't care why I'm asking):

After owning Mi A1 for the best part of a year, I have the MIUI fever again. I plan to get a Poco F1 towards the end of the year, and plan to get back into MIUI modding, but until then I want to port MIUI to Mi A1 (done this stuff before, don't worry about that).

I have two main choices for porting, though:
1) Port MIUI 10 from the 5x, which is essentially the same device only with a different modem and partition map (repartitioning is easy, as I did with Treble conversion - if I need to). Probably easier but this is only Android 7.1.
2) Port MIUI 10 from the Redmi S2, which is the same SoC but most certainly different peripheral hardware (camera, etc). It is also Treble base which means it could be incompatible with official A1 8.1 blobs and will probably need my Treble repartition and custom kernel (or I could probably use Capire le treble concept instead). Probably more work but this is Android 8.1.

So, what's the real actual difference between MIUI based on 8.1 vs 7.1?

Porting from the 5x's 7.1 would likely be easier, but I don't want to do it if there's too much I'm missing out on by downgrading back to Nougat.

Cheers!

Found out that Autofill framework is new in Oreo, which I find extremely useful for LastPass - so that's settled :emoji_grin: