MIUI 12.5.2 on Chinese Rom Mi 10 Youth (zoom lite)

Tony Clarke

Members
May 29, 2021
Hi all I bought a Mi 10 youth on Chinese Rom last year at a very good price and was happy with the phone and didn't mind the Chinese rom as Google Play services worked well. But the in a MIUI 12 update around Xmas (12.3?) it became a nightmare, and I was having to reinstall Google daily.

I heard that Xiaomi were purposely blocking Google with bloatware and was really annoyed. So I unlocked and was going to flash the EU rom, but my tech knowledge is lacking. But surprise surprise a couple of days ago I updated to 12.5.2 and everything is back to normal again. I am very please and my phone is also much faster. Has anyone else had the same issues, or knows if Xiaomi has seen the light and changed policy?

Reactions: kogar
Sad for Xiaomi/Redmi that they don't convey to their customer that GMS is not working or that they reintroduced GMS for specific devices.

Just read about https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/05/...te-brings-support-for-google-mobile-services/ where they even wrote google play support in their what's new message.
Why can't they write something like that for all devices? Then there would be no need to guess if GMS still works, is removed or is reintroduced.

Still have no idea which current update removes or has working GMS.
Another example with working gms but no comment in what's new/changelog on removal or if it should keep working.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My guess is that they start to reimplement GMS since they are removed from the US blacklist since May 25, 2021. But that is just my assumption and have still got no other confirmations of working GMS on devices where it got removed after an update.

Last edited:
Yes, hence this is very bad and weird for many articles says that only for the SD800 series (SnapDragon) would have that Basic Google Service toggle. For Mi 10 Youth Zoom however is with SD750G hence unknown if it can work or worst like the K40 Pro where even the current daily side load method is not going to work :(

Hi Tony, so you are using China ROM 12.5.2 and google map and google play all working now?

Yes, alls fine again now. It worked when i first bought it, but then I think Xiaomi must have added bloatwaremor something.mAnthow nownback to normal with all Google apps including maps working.

Sad for Xiaomi/Redmi that they don't convey to their customer that GMS is not working or that they reintroduced GMS for specific devices.

Just read about https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/05/...te-brings-support-for-google-mobile-services/ where they even wrote google play support in their what's new message.
Why can't they write something like that for all devices? Then there would be no need to guess if GMS still works, is removed or is reintroduced.

Still have no idea which current update removes or has working GMS.
Another example with working gms but no comment in what's new/changelog on removal or if it should keep working.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My guess is that they start to reimplement GMS since they are removed from the US blacklist since May 25, 2021. But that is just my assumption and have still got no other confirmations of working GMS on devices where it got removed after an update.

Thanks for the explanation, the US release sounds favourite for the change, but I can confirm that it is no prank and all is working

Reactions: kogar
Yes, hence this is very bad and weird for many articles says that only for the SD800 series (SnapDragon) would have that Basic Google Service toggle. For Mi 10 Youth Zoom however is with SD750G hence unknown if it can work or worst like the K40 Pro where even the current daily side load method is not going to work :(

Apologies for my ignorance, but the only difference between my phone now and on purchase is that I unlocked it (to prepare for flashing the EU rom. My Google play was pre loaded by the supplier, but when it went down I reloaded (sideloaded?) it

I just checked and yes I have the Basic Google Services toggle, which was already switched on

Thank you Tony for the confirmation. That explains why ur China ROM is working coz it has that Basic Google Services toggle.