New MIUI 13.0.2: Android Auto now has low screen resolution and sound

bendbob

Members
Jan 24, 2021
After upgrading from MIUI 12 to MIUI 13.0.2 on my Redmi Note 9S (curtana) I instanly noticed that a few seconds after AA started up the screen quality / resolution progresses dynamically to a low resolution. It seems the casting bitrate to the head unit is reduced a lot so that the shown content is pixelated and blurry and also some content is flickering due to low bitrate. Also I noticed that the sound quality has decreased, sometimes there is clearly clipping / distortion and the sound is not full anymore. The phone is connected via cable / wired connection as usual.

Photos:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Video showing the flickering due to low casting bitrate:

A lot of other people have this problem, see e.g. the descriptions and example photos of the cars' displays: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-auto-on-xiaomi-low-resolution-image-casting.4500679/ or even mentioned it in the MIUI 13 thead here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-13-stable-release.64441/post-680575

Is this a bug which has to be fixed by the official MIUI or Xiaomi.eu team? If the first one, how to submit bugs there? If the latter, how to submit logsfiles when reproducing the error (i.e. connecting it to the car and wait until the quality decreases)?

Last edited:
@ingbrzy

I would like to provide some logs, but where can I post them non-public as they contain probably sensitive data? Should I include them in a ticket in the MIUI internal feedback option (System settings >Services & feedback > Submit feedback)? Which "item" is appropiate ("other google apps"?)?​

How to create the Android System Bug Report ("the big one"):
a) first enable/force the Android Auto verbose logging mode in the AA developer settings. Force logging enables more verbose logs in the standard bugreport / feedback report.
b) Creating the system bug report is done manually in MIUI via: phone settings -> About phone -> All specs -> click 5 or 4 times on cpu and Generate bug report to the path /MIUI/debug_log

Before starting the log creation remember the exact time your test (connecting AA to car) begins so you know more or less where to look in these verbose logs.

Last edited:
I now started MIUI 13's Android Auto together with an emulated Desktop Head Unit (via Android Studio). I face the same issues. So it's clearly MIUI here.

I have the same problem after installing miui 13 on joyeuse (Redmi Note 9 Pro). Can confirm that the problem exists only on miui 13, if i revert back to miui 12 everything's fine.

Reactions: crok.bic
I can add that with my Redmi Note 9 Pro Android auto works just as bad as anybody else's here. Starts good, after seconds image is good.
Sometimes, when screen is ON image gets back to good again, however it turns to low again very soon.
My MIUI is 13.0.5. and I'm cursing the day I updated from 11 because I wanted 14 as announced earlier. Now I can read that my phone will never get MIUI 14
so either I'll buy wireless adapter or I'm stuck with that lousy connection.

Interesting though, my wife has Redmi Note 11 Pro and her phone has zero issues I'm experiencing. Her MIUI is 13.0.2.

Our car is 2016 Opel Insignia with Navi 900 Intellilink onboard.

I tried some Iphones from friends, no issues at all. It's just phones fault.

After upgrading from MIUI 12 to MIUI 13.0.2 on my Redmi Note 9S (curtana) I instanly noticed that a few seconds after AA started up the screen quality / resolution progresses dynamically to a low resolution. It seems the casting bitrate to the head unit is reduced a lot so that the shown content is pixelated and blurry and also some content is flickering due to low bitrate. Also I noticed that the sound quality has decreased, sometimes there is clearly clipping / distortion and the sound is not full anymore. The phone is connected via cable / wired connection as usual.

Photos:

Video showing the flickering due to low casting bitrate:

A lot of other people have this problem, see e.g. the descriptions and example photos of the cars' displays: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-auto-on-xiaomi-low-resolution-image-casting.4500679/ or even mentioned it in the MIUI 13 thead here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/miui-13-stable-release.64441/post-680575

Is this a bug which has to be fixed by the official MIUI or Xiaomi.eu team? If the first one, how to submit bugs there? If the latter, how to submit logsfiles when reproducing the error (i.e. connecting it to the car and wait until the quality decreases)?
This issue seems to affect all MIUI users not only .eu flavor; Major Operating System Update Blamed for New Android Auto Nightmare
The latest release version Android Auto 9.0.630814-release (arm64-v8a) (Android 8.0+)
By Google LLC may to fix it as already CONFIRMED today.

Reactions: Jacometto
We have an official bug report now: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/204813122
Don't hesitate to ask in that one post of the Android Auto Team member for an email to get instructions how to create and send them the log.
(One info which is not covered by their instructions:
MUI Developer settings do not offer to have a "create logfile shortcut" option. To create an android log under MIUI instead you have to go to Phone Settings > About phone > All specs => Tap on CPU 6 times. It will then be created on the internal SD card to /MIUI/debug_log/bugreport-<date>.zip. Share this one with Android Auto team by uploading it to Google Drive or something)

@Birraque Unfortunately this issue here has not been fixed. I already have a newer version of AA and it's still there.

Seems to have been resolved by Android Auto app updates in the meantime. I did not install any MIUI updates (as there were none available)