Miui 9: Do You Still Disable Miui And Memory Optimization?

sochansam

Members
May 20, 2017
As the title says, do you still recommend to turn them both off for a better experience?

For me, the MIUI battery savings work way better than in previous versions. Apps don't close as quick, the phone feels less sluggish and notifications work. So with such little disadvantages it would be a no brainer to get extra battery life.

In previous versions, only time I disabled MIUI optimization was while debugging apps in Android Studio. Since MIUI 9, I'm able to debug with optimization turned ON. No problems so far.

Redmi 4 [prada] weekly 7.9.7

"MIUI Optimizations" is a UI/UX thing only. It will replace some styling with MIUI variants. But it will also break Google CTS (for Play Certification) which is why it is (or should be) disabled by default on Global versions with Play Services pre-installed.

Personally I turn it off, because some badly-written apps with hard-coded UI stuff can have layout issues. But it doesn't have any performance changes. At least, it didn't on earlier MIUI 8 versions when I first researched this.

In summary, MIUI Optimizations on = "nicer, full MIUI experience" but off = "more compatible with 3rd-party apps". Would be nice if Xiaomi put this info as subtext on the preference, the question is asked a lot.

Memory Optimization is bad IMO, but this might be device-specific and is certainly hit-and-miss across the MIUI versions. It's also known as "Whetstone Tuning" and is something that Xiaomi keep screwing around with, they can't seem to make up their mind. On some firmware versions works well, other times it's really bad. On my Redmi Note 4 (MTK) running 7.10.12, it's in the "really bad" pile again - Whetstone service aggressively kills background apps even on low. Apart from that, Low > High will enable zRAM with less > more capacity (which seems pointless when it's just killing stuff).

I may need to re-investigate asusm930's work on improving multitasking, something which I integrated in CosmicTweaks - but those changes were MTK specific from memory. Back in the day I used to just completely delete the Whestone apk and it would bring a more AOSP-like memory management situation (from memory this would completely break the whole autostart and "lock in memory" features of MIUI too, though) - I might try this experiment again to see whether it is the problem once again.

"MIUI Optimizations" is a UI/UX thing only. It will replace some styling with MIUI variants. But it will also break Google CTS (for Play Certification) which is why it is (or should be) disabled by default on Global versions with Play Services pre-installed.

Personally I turn it off, because some badly-written apps with hard-coded UI stuff can have layout issues. But it doesn't have any performance changes. At least, it didn't on earlier MIUI 8 versions when I first researched this.

In summary, MIUI Optimizations on = "nicer, full MIUI experience" but off = "more compatible with 3rd-party apps". Would be nice if Xiaomi put this info as subtext on the preference, the question is asked a lot.

Memory Optimization is bad IMO, but this might be device-specific and is certainly hit-and-miss across the MIUI versions. It's also known as "Whetstone Tuning" and is something that Xiaomi keep screwing around with, they can't seem to make up their mind. On some firmware versions works well, other times it's really bad. On my Redmi Note 4 (MTK) running 7.10.12, it's in the "really bad" pile again - Whetstone service aggressively kills background apps even on low. Apart from that, Low > High will enable zRAM with less > more capacity (which seems pointless when it's just killing stuff).

I may need to re-investigate asusm930's work on improving multitasking, something which I integrated in CosmicTweaks - but those changes were MTK specific from memory. Back in the day I used to just completely delete the Whestone apk and it would bring a more AOSP-like memory management situation (from memory this would completely break the whole autostart and "lock in memory" features of MIUI too, though) - I might try this experiment again to see whether it is the problem once again.
Sorry for resurrecting this old post but it's mesmerising that you making this good explaination(thanks) while a "lead developer of xiaomi.eu" says "keep it enabled". Lol good job.