New MIUI 9

alonlevih

Members
Oct 28, 2018
Hi,
I'm from the Android dev team of Houzz.
We're encountering the following crash for Xiaomi users only. It happens for users using Android 6 /6.0.1 / 7.0 on various Xiaomi devices.
We want to guard this crash but we're unable to do so. It seems that the custom Xiaomi ROM creates a custom status bar icon and we're unable to avoid this.
Do you have any clue of how to solve this?

Fatal Exception: android.app.RemoteServiceException
Bad notification posted from package com.houzz.app: Couldn't create icon: StatusBarIcon(icon=Icon(typ=RESOURCE pkg=com.houzz.app id=0x7f0200ad) visible user=0 )

android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage (ActivityThread.java:1563)
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage (Handler.java:102)
android.os.Looper.loop (Looper.java:157)
android.app.ActivityThread.main (ActivityThread.java:5603)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run (ZygoteInit.java:774)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:652)

Thanks,
Alon.

Hi,
I'm from the Android dev team of Houzz.
We're encountering the following crash for Xiaomi users only. It happens for users using Android 6 /6.0.1 / 7.0 on various Xiaomi devices.
We want to guard this crash but we're unable to do so. It seems that the custom Xiaomi ROM creates a custom status bar icon and we're unable to avoid this.
Do you have any clue of how to solve this?

Fatal Exception: android.app.RemoteServiceException
Bad notification posted from package com.houzz.app: Couldn't create icon: StatusBarIcon(icon=Icon(typ=RESOURCE pkg=com.houzz.app id=0x7f0200ad) visible user=0 )

android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage (ActivityThread.java:1563)
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage (Handler.java:102)
android.os.Looper.loop (Looper.java:157)
android.app.ActivityThread.main (ActivityThread.java:5603)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run (ZygoteInit.java:774)
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main (ZygoteInit.java:652)

Thanks,
Alon.
How to reproduce the notification?

@Igor Eisberg
We have the same problem:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...remoteserviceexception-with-notification-icon

Also here:
https://en.miui.com/thread-4876038-1-1.html

It seems this is caused by MIUI trying to post a forced notification from ActivityThread.java, trying to use some resource that is not there. This caused 4% of our users/sessions to crash and it's growing.

Could you treat this as priority one, please? If you are not the right person to fix this, could you point me into the right direction? Thanks.

This seems to be an official MIUI issue. Even if I manage to root the cause of this crash an fix it for Xiaomi.eu ROM users, official ROM users will still experience crashes. This should be fixed in the official ROMs.

Thanks, but still:
- Can you confirm if MIUI tries to fire a notification in ActivityThread.java?
- Can you tell me where I can contact the official ROM devs? Nobody answered me on the above link.
- Or even better, if you can fix this, couldn't you create a pull request for them?

Thanks, but still:
- Can you confirm if MIUI tries to fire a notification in ActivityThread.java?
- Can you tell me where I can contact the official ROM devs? Nobody answered me on the above link.
- Or even better, if you can fix this, couldn't you create a pull request for them?
- To do that I would have to reproduce the issue with the affected app. You didn't mention the app in question and how to intentionally push a notification (aka reproduce the issue).
- We're not in contact with them ourselves, I've got no clue.
- I don't do Xiaomi's work for them. They'd have to pay me.

Sorry, it seems I totally misunderstood what is this site about. Your 'about us' says you officially work with Xiaomi on bug fixes. So you don't have access to Android code, only translations and similar mods?

Sorry, it seems I totally misunderstood what is this site about. Your 'about us' says you officially work with Xiaomi on bug fixes. So you don't have access to Android code, only translations and similar mods?
We're in contact with Global Beta team to report bugs and possible solutions, if we have them, but no, we have no access to any source code, and none of our mods are pushed to official channels.