My First Experience With Xiaomi: The Mi Max 2

frulex

Members
Sep 15, 2017
I see your point in general - but not all operators use B20 - here i.e. Tele2 uses exclusively B3 for LTE coverage and people I know who use it don't have any issues using it nationwide, even in rural or coastal areas (I have a holiday house in a remote area and 4G signal is excellent). And must admit I don't get the story about a guy throwing his phone for what - having only 3G signal at sea instead of 4G? - that's a sign of some mental issue, not of flawed phonemakers policy...

Sent from my Mi Max 2 using Tapatalk

mkms-slo

Members
Jan 21, 2016
I see Tele2 uses 1800 only. Not all countries have that. You lucky... Good news for me too.
I dont know what that guy's story was, a bit mental for sure but I guess he needed speed for work.
Anyways it still looks like Xiaomi does not care about european market all that much.

frulex

Members
Sep 15, 2017
That's true, they didn't care at all for Europe - I guess that's the reason why they've officially entered EU market only 2-3 weeks ago...

mkms-slo

Members
Jan 21, 2016
Another question. How does Bluetooth work on mi Max 2? On redmi note 2 it really pulled my nerves out. Trouble connecting, disconnecting, network search, phonebook sometimes working sometimes not... in both my cars (hands free device) while all other phones like iPhone 5&6 had no problems. Also, smartwatch was disconnecting all the time. I really tried for 6 months but nothing was ever fixed. I gave it another chance 6 months later - all same. Also Smart lock never worked and neither did unlock with Bluetooth device. Any improvements in support and philosophy?

mkms-slo

Members
Jan 21, 2016
I took a chance because i like MIUI and bought Mi Max 2. It is a really nice phone, fast enough, I only miss colour info led. So far no problems with bluetooth - it works flawlessly with hands-free systems in cars. Will test with smart watch later.
BTW, MIUI 9 sucks in a few areas as far as user friendliness is concerned. They removed shortcuts for silent mode, bluetooth shortcut is not on/off any more but a link to bluetooth menu,..... Not to mention that they ruined perfect system how to arrange icons.

Phone is not that heavy, but it is really large. If I wouldnt use it that much at work I wouldnt buy it. I can not help you with the camera - for me it is good enough for casual use. For serious use I use serious camera.

frulex

Members
Sep 15, 2017
Bluetooth works fine with my car and BT headset at home, that's the only 2 I tried. As for the camera, stock is just about OK, but the real revelation for me was after unlocking and installing *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* HDR+ app which improves camera (and video shooting at 60fps same) to something at completely different level, especially at low light conditions.

mkms-slo

Members
Jan 21, 2016
Redmi note 2 wouldnt connect to hands-free if smart watch was connected. I had to turn of BT then connect hands-free then smartwatch.
On Mi Max 2 BT works flawlessly. Nice.

I am not sure if I want to unlock bootloader. Global seems just fine. Any strong arguments to unlock?

frulex

Members
Sep 15, 2017
Global is fine, I used it for first 3 months. For me it was 3 things for unlocking - root access so I can install Ad-away, split-screen option in Developer ROM and *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* installation. If you don't need any of that, no need to unlock...