My First Experience With Xiaomi: The Mi Max 2

Yes! A great phone indeed! I was a Mi Max (1) user since August 2016 until I have upgraded to Mi Max 2 on 10 Jun 2017! :)

A new Mi Max 2 thread has been created by Xiaomi.eu!

Click here!

Hi I am From Honduras (CentralAmerica) speak almost only spanish (latinamerican really) so sorry for my english.

I did get the Mi Max original, the 650 proc. and 32GB rom, and was real good, the screen was a Must have, from that day forward, Now I have the
Mi Max 2, and I am happy with the new phone, no very happy, only happy, I was Very happy with the firts one, but mi max 2 is only a small improvement, but is good. the main thing, is: I can NOT go back to small phones, I Need to have my 6.44 inch screen, also this mi max 2, as the mi max (1) run fast, and almost everything run perfect, a few FHD games have a little problem with the new processor, the old one was a little better, at least at games. I am a compulsive Rom Changer, ha ha ha, I Know is wrong, but I test ALL the roms available for my phones, Plus I super optimize the memory and space, I always Root my phone and erase everything i do not use, like the Weather, I have no use for that software or app, and a lot more apps, plus I tried no to use Google apps to much, just the just basics. I Am waiting for the SLIM ROM and the LINEAGE ROM, this two ROMS are the best one, but not get me wrong, The Xiaomi.eu ROM is the perfect one, for this phones, but I love to test the Lineage and Slim Roms, to make improvements at the Xiaomi Rom.

One Advice: Download and Install L SPEED app, make any Rom, a lot better (Note is only for root phones)

And for Xiaomi, Please in the future, put a little more expensive cpu, i do not care about paying a little more for a Mi Max Phone.

final: I LOVE THIS GREAT PHONE, mi max is my only choice, maybe is the screen, but the whole Xiaomi experience is great too.

Well 'HELLO' all.... Writing this comment / Post from Tel Aviv, Israel. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents,(<opinion) into the mix
of this post!!! I am also a first time owner of a Xiaomi smartphone. Samsung, LG's, ASUS, ect; have served me well in my past, but I wanted to
see what else was sitting in the market. Public and personal opinions from several sources is what got me to buy the Xiaomi Mi Max 2...

First off I have the MIUI 8-Global version 8.5 [ Stable / 8.5.6.0(NDDMIED) rom. 4gb RAM / 64gb Itrn.mem. Normal spec as the rest!!!
Let me tell ya. I love this phone. I mean, I know they are still classifying the Mi Max 2 as a smartphone but the screen size is what takes
it up there with 'Phablets... But??? at the same time, it's small bezels & 2.5 cut corners means it's not a large or big handset; Which are what takes it out of phablet category. But that's a fine line these days with the demand for larger screen smartphones.

Anyway, I've owned it for a little over a month and I'm enjoying it. I have NOT had any problems or software hiccups with this phone.
She performs as what most of the reviewers pointed out. Along with the hundreds of comments I've read over the past 3 months threw
out several web postings!!! I mean, yeah; I have my little( want things a little better) on certain hardware aspects of this phone.

But hey, we all have our own perfect image of the best smartphone suited for ourselves. But, as for an everyday smartphone that
won't give out on you after 4 1/2 hours of hard use or start getting so hot from gaming that you have to acutely put the phone down
to cool off. How about going to watch a video but you just can't hear what they are saying. All that and more just to pay a ton of money.

In general, the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 kills all that. At least my phone showed me that. I get a great, sharp picture on the screen, video's are smooth.
97% of the games for smartphones play well, if not very well on this phone. The sound is very good. Not great; I've heard better. But very good!!!
Sound from the earjack / headphone jack sounds very nice. Multitasking is beautiful on this phone. She pops in and out of apps very nicely. Very smooth. I think some people don't know how to control their animations on the phone!!! Dual sims if need be or hold open spot for a SD to the
capacity of 128gb. I mean come on, 64gb internal SD and back up of 64 or 128. How can you go wrong with that storage. As for the GPS,
it nails my position in seconds... And I mean seconds!!! WOW, I never had Waze GPS app or Google maps pick up my position so
quick.. Browsing. It's smooth.......... As long as the ISP is good. This phone don't stick...........................................

Yeah, the phone has a little weight to it,(211g); with a aluminum unibody case design & a 2.5 front Glass. But hey, look at it this way;
your buying a battery power pack with a phone built onto it!!! LOL Joke, Joke, hahaha....... Ok, I know. Bad joke! Anyway, That's my
point. The battery that sits in it; 5300mAh.... WOW!!! What smartphone out there has that... And so far it has stood up to every test or
close to it, & of what is being advertised about the longevity of this smartphone when it comes to different types of uses... It's a Beast!!!

Well, with all this said. For the price of the phone compared to the performance of it. I don't think you can go wrong purchasing this
smartphone. It's everything they say it is and a little bit more. Yes, is there smartphones that are better than this one. Yes!
But at the price you can purchase one of these phones, and having the same or almost the same performance and power as some of
these high priced flagship smartphones out or ones that came out in the not so far distant past,( that you still pay an arm & leg for); Well
why not give one of these phones a run for their money... Only thing after this is to buy and try!!! Good luck all with your Mi Max 2's....

Geheimnis12....
The only thing you need to do is Download the 7.7.20 rom.. Go to updater Menu, Choose update package Select the 7.7.20 zip file through recovery...

Thank you for your response. I did a full wipe. then flash back 7.7.20. Then restore my data.
So, how did that work out for you??? Did it revert back without any problems???

Listen, anyone here have there MiMax 2 bumped up from MIUI 8 to MIUI 9??? I'd like a little insight on the OS bump. I keep reading that there
are still a few bugs going on with it.
Me, 'I'; am having 'NO' problems with this phone in all normal use of the product. I've watched the 'GodFather' and 'BattleShip' the other day on
my phone and WOW, I was in shock again........ The battery life just dropped from 99% to 70% during four and half to five hours of watching movies.

Anyway, my phone played the movies without a hickup!!! They played very smooth. I did have one issue with setting the 'Force activities to be resizable' to the ON position in Developer options. Having that ticked to the ON position would supposedly help 3rd party apps to perform split-screen
option. And it DOES! It lets 3rd party apps split two apps open at the same time.
'PROBLEM': something is happening on my phone that when I close both apps, my whole desktop, screen, widgets and all my Icons disappear... The only 2 things I have is my background pic. and my Top Task bar. with the battery icon, signal icon, wifi, ect.... I have to Reboot the phone to get it all back. So, now I just run 'TaskBar' app with that switch ticked OFF in Developer options... and apps open full as normal...
Well, on that note; that's one of the features MIUI 9 will have amongst having your apps popping open at like 1/30th of a second... Being able to
change your icons and widgets around in different windows while your man window you were on is still open in front of you. Instead of dragging
them across the screen to put them on a different window. I guess along with a few other changes..

So, has anyone updated or upgraded; whatever you wanna call it. #1. Did you flash it onto your phone or did you get it through MI Update app???
#2. Was your phone Locked or Unlocked??? If Locked, did you use the MI web link to the app that helps you unlock your phone??? (( Because,
I'm thinking to unlock my phone and flashing it myself but that would knock me out of getting updates through the Update app!!!
Really, not sure if I want to update it until all the bugs are worked out. Well at least some of the main, problem causers!!!

As I stated above in a previous comment; my Mi Max 2 is sitting on the version: MIUI Global 8.5 | Stable 8.5.6.0(NDDMIED)
and I'd like to update but not sure I should wait until it comes through the Update app, OR should I work on Unlocking my phone and flashing it
my self.... All opinions welcome...

Have a good one everybody!!!

So, how did that work out for you??? Did it revert back without any problems???

Listen, anyone here have there MiMax 2 bumped up from MIUI 8 to MIUI 9??? I'd like a little insight on the OS bump. I keep reading that there
are still a few bugs going on with it.
Me, 'I'; am having 'NO' problems with this phone in all normal use of the product. I've watched the 'GodFather' and 'BattleShip' the other day on
my phone and WOW, I was in shock again........ The battery life just dropped from 99% to 70% during four and half to five hours of watching movies.

Anyway, my phone played the movies without a hickup!!! They played very smooth. I did have one issue with setting the 'Force activities to be resizable' to the ON position in Developer options. Having that ticked to the ON position would supposedly help 3rd party apps to perform split-screen
option. And it DOES! It lets 3rd party apps split two apps open at the same time.
'PROBLEM': something is happening on my phone that when I close both apps, my whole desktop, screen, widgets and all my Icons disappear... The only 2 things I have is my background pic. and my Top Task bar. with the battery icon, signal icon, wifi, ect.... I have to Reboot the phone to get it all back. So, now I just run 'TaskBar' app with that switch ticked OFF in Developer options... and apps open full as normal...
Well, on that note; that's one of the features MIUI 9 will have amongst having your apps popping open at like 1/30th of a second... Being able to
change your icons and widgets around in different windows while your man window you were on is still open in front of you. Instead of dragging
them across the screen to put them on a different window. I guess along with a few other changes..

So, has anyone updated or upgraded; whatever you wanna call it. #1. Did you flash it onto your phone or did you get it through MI Update app???
#2. Was your phone Locked or Unlocked??? If Locked, did you use the MI web link to the app that helps you unlock your phone??? (( Because,
I'm thinking to unlock my phone and flashing it myself but that would knock me out of getting updates through the Update app!!!
Really, not sure if I want to update it until all the bugs are worked out. Well at least some of the main, problem causers!!!

As I stated above in a previous comment; my Mi Max 2 is sitting on the version: MIUI Global 8.5 | Stable 8.5.6.0(NDDMIED)
and I'd like to update but not sure I should wait until it comes through the Update app, OR should I work on Unlocking my phone and flashing it
my self.... All opinions welcome...

Have a good one everybody!!!

Hi. I'm currently running Xiaomi.eu weekly 7.8.24 (MIUI 9) on my Mi Max 2. I was on China Beta ROM 7.8.24, being a Beta Tester. I never tried the Global ROM lately, as I am quite satisfied with both the China Beta and Xiaomi.eu weekly.

MIUI 8 to 9. Firstly, your phone needs to be unlocked. I flashed my phone from scratch, wipe everything, not through update.

Feedback on Xiaomi.eu 7.8.24 (MIUI 9). It's a good rom enough. I haven't encountered any major bugs that hamper my daily usage, like, calls, text messages, emails, watching movies, calendar and tasks, reading e-books, browsing the net, particularly en.miui.com and xiaomi.eu. Battery life is a little less than MIUI 8, very minimal difference on my part. I can manage 3 days on a single charge doing my daily routine, that's is with bluetooth always on, and occasional WIFI and Data.

Hi. I'm currently running Xiaomi.eu weekly 7.8.24 (MIUI 9) on my Mi Max 2. I was on China Beta ROM 7.8.24, being a Beta Tester. I never tried the Global ROM lately, as I am quite satisfied with both the China Beta and Xiaomi.eu weekly.

MIUI 8 to 9. Firstly, your phone needs to be unlocked. I flashed my phone from scratch, wipe everything, not through update.

Feedback on Xiaomi.eu 7.8.24 (MIUI 9). It's a good rom enough. I haven't encountered any major bugs that hamper my daily usage, like, calls, text messages, emails, watching movies, calendar and tasks, reading e-books, browsing the net, particularly en.miui.com and xiaomi.eu. Battery life is a little less than MIUI 8, very minimal difference on my part. I can manage 3 days on a single charge doing my daily routine, that's is with bluetooth always on, and occasional WIFI and Data.

(( Thanks for the feedback 'Geheimnis12'... That helped a lot.)) The more opinions, the better!!! Help base my decision. Yeah; I'm still a big NOOB
when it comes to Flashing smartphones. In the past, I locked up my old Samsung s6 and couldn't get it unlocked unless I sent it to a Samsung lab.
Anyway, thanks for the response Geheimnis12!!!

Well, were do I begin.. Ok, long story, 'Short'!!!
So I'm looking through Youtube last night for any new video's that anyone might have posted. Well I come across this video posted
by Dhananjay Bhosale. Title: [NEW METHODE] Easy guide to Update from MIUI 8 to
MIUI 9 with LOCKED BOOTLOADER!!!

So I watched it and followed his procedure and it worked... I upgraded my Mi Max 2 from 'MIUI 8 to MIUI 9' with no problems what so ever. Bootloader still LOCKED!!!
I never had to unplug my Mi Max 2 from my PC. The tool he uses worked great for me and a friend of mine also with Mi Max 2.. You just have to follow his links in his caption below the video and download the Xiaomi-Tool. He also has a link to all updated China & Global ROM's.. It's a 6 minute video but it's well worth watching it for anyone who wants to use this method for flashing the phone.
I feel it was well worth the Upgrade. MIUI 9 is definitely and significantly faster and more responsive ROM..... Good Luck All!!!

Links to All:
Video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Xiaomi-Tool: https://dhananjaytech.com/download-xiaomitool-flash-roms-locked-bootloader/
MIUI 9 & Devices: https://dhananjaytech.com/miui-9-rom-and-devices/
Support the Developer: https://www.paypal.me/FrancescoTescari/

Last edited:
Reactions: Geheimnis12
I left mine unlocked because I was a beta tester for china rom. I'm glad that your enjoying your "new" phone. Updates usually comes weekly for xiaomi.eu weekly rom. Try to report bugs if ever you found one so the admins can help fix it. On my case, I haven't encountered any yet. Xiaomi.eu is so much better now, I didn't even need to root my phone. I'm using most of the built-in software (browser, mail, mi video, and explorer) and installed only those that I really need. The calendar and notes app are the only ones that don't use.

beautiful phone, but it seem too big for me

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
galaxy s9 prix samsung s8

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All!
I am new to Xiaomi, I love phones, and in recent times had a Galaxy note 5, a S6 edge+ a nexus 6 then 6p, Umi Super, and Umi Z pro
a few weeks ago, I was looking for something that might get through the whole day without being charged multiple times, I have been using some Yeelights for a while and was impressed with the value, and with the build quality.
I saw the specs and the screen size of the Mi Max 2, and I knew I had to give it a try!
I am using it only with OTA updates (I had enough bleeding edge stuff with the Nexus's unreliable, half baked updates)
to be totally honest, in every way, I am happy with the Mi Max 2
it is well powerful enough to do anything I want
it is stable
it has a great build quality
it has a great screen
it has a surprisingly good camera
it has an AMAZING battery life!
my next phone won't be a pixel 2 (like I thought it would be)
it will be a Xiaomi
it's as simple as that!
thanks guys!
Gazzzman
(UK)

A few months ago I was desperate with my old phone Huawei G700 with Android 4.2 that did not work well with the old firmware of the manufacturer. Searching the internet I found a Russian firmware MIUI for this old smartphone with Android 4.4 that surprised me by its excellent quality.

For this reason I have decided to buy a new smartphone of the brand Xiaomi, it is the new Mi Max 2 without knowing the problems that would have. The experience has been very good. I bought the smartphone in a Chinese store with warehouse in Europe. I have not had any issues with setting up a Spanish language or accessing the Google Play Store, and everything works fine.

Hardware / firmware details:

- American charger with adapter to the European electrical network.
- MIUI Version: MIUI Global 8.5.2.0 (NDDMIED)
- Bootloader: unlocked
- 4G LTE works well with Orange Spain in the B03 band (1800 MHz). According to the technical characteristics this smartphone does not work in the band B20 (800 MHz). I will wait at least a year to find a solution, I do not want to do it now with the new phone that works very well

In short, for me it has been an excellent purchase.

I am considering Mi Max 2. No B20? Is that a global version? Is Xiaomi trying to fight the customers? ;)

No B20, but not an issue in everyday use - i have 2 SIMs that both use B20 and 90% of time I have good 4G signal (on B3 or B7) so for me not a dealbreaker...

Sent from my Mi Max 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Acutbal
No B20, but not an issue in everyday use - i have 2 SIMs that both use B20 and 90% of time I have good 4G signal (on B3 or B7) so for me not a dealbreaker...

Thank you!
For me its a bit different. Wherever there is B3 or B7 there are often WiFi anyways and where there is B20 only there are no WiFi so in effect Mi Max 2 is not even an LTE phone. I guess it depends on a location, lifestyle, ...

I guess it's location then, since I don't use wi-fi at all (except at home) and I'm always on LTE. If I had even the smallest issues with this setup I would switch to an operater that doesn't use B20 and have it again all fine...

I guess it's location then, since I don't use wi-fi at all (except at home) and I'm always on LTE. If I had even the smallest issues with this setup I would switch to an operater that doesn't use B20 and have it again all fine...

Nice, but my point with wifi was that you can miss LTE in a city where you must really try to find a spot without free wifi. Its not the best and not very practical but it is an option (btw I use wifi at home and at work). In rural areas you are out of options. All operators mostly use B20 beacuse it has better coverage. So for someone that is active in free time and even more so for people with mobile jobs or living in rural areas it is not a matter of switching operators but switching for a company that makes phones for european market. How frustrating it can be - I have seen a guy throw his phone from a boat. That was not nice to the sea but he looked happy afterwards.