Native SMS App - Special Characters

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Redmi 1S WCDMA' started by Diogo Costa, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Diogo Costa

May 30, 2014
    Male
    I'd like to activate the native SMS app's support for special characters, as it seem to, each time I use a special character (like á, ã or similar), it takes up a lot of "character space" (from the 160 each SMS has).

Does anyone know how can this be done? Thanks in advance.

2. realtebo

realteboMembers

May 9, 2014
    it's a normal behaviour of standard GSM SMS
    The extended charset took 2 (or three?) chars for every single char digited.
    you cannot do nothing about this

3. Diogo Costa

May 30, 2014
    Male
    From my understanding, sometimes you actually see the special characters but, when they're sent, they're transformed to regular characters in order to save space (for example, "não" becomes "nao" - this happened with my old Nokia N73). And I think that some apps, like Go SMS Pro, do this. I'd like to do this with the native app.

4. realtebo

realteboMembers

May 9, 2014
    Nope, modern phone can handle extended GSM alphabet, so they will ne sended and near 100% rightly deployed

5. Diogo Costa

May 30, 2014
    Male
    Not that it is my case, as I have free SMSs for everyone in my country but, if I didn't, wouldn't it be really bad to pay for 3 or 4 SMSs due to the use of these characters when I just wanted to say something short?

6. nmichalo

nmichaloMembers

Jun 6, 2014
    Male
    #6nmichalo,Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Use Go SMS PRO or Handcent to send your SMS message, but you may only use the 1st SIM card, not the 2nd SIM. You have to set the proper settings in Go SMS PRO or Handcent to select you regional/country settings

7. Diogo Costa

May 30, 2014
    Male
    That is a way out, yes. The setback, though, is that I can't seem to "silence" the native SMS app when using a third-party SMS app.

8. dkoek

dkoekMembers

Jul 10, 2014
    Male
    Just set everything off in Miu SMS app. Changing the default sms app is not enough. When it's done handcent will work including the smilies

Share Our Site