New Mi2S - Restore from Broken Mi2s ?

bn_

Members
Aug 26, 2013
Hi,

I've google a bith and didn't come up to a conclusive answer; so I'm hoping somebody here could help me.
My old mi2s died (well its still working but screen is inresponsive since its screen is trashed) during a motorcycle fall / slide but I am still able to take a backup through cwm recovery (thank you m1cha for your work) since I'm still able to use the buttons on the side but screen is messed up (and tbh bit scared of replacing the digitizer have bad memory's on this; already broke a phone doing this myself).

My question is: if I backup my old mi2s through cwm recovery; flash cwm recovery on new mi2s and copy all the data over am I able to a restore on the new mi2s through cwm recovery and see my mi2s as it was while it "died"?

If its not 100% clear do say since I'm not 100% sure how to explain this but I'm hoping it is some what clear...

@Mods in case this is not allowed to ask or so; feel free to close this topic
@Anybody trying to help your advice is greatly appreciated and possibly rewarded by a fresh beer if you pass by ;-)

The CWM backups (Nandroid backups) are like an image of the phone.
So yes, if you flash CWM Recovery on a new Mi2S and restore the backup of the old one, you will have "two same phones".

bn_ My question is: if I backup my old mi2s through cwm recovery; flash cwm recovery on new mi2s and copy all the data over am I able to a restore on the new mi2s through cwm recovery and see my mi2s as it was while it "died"?

I was hoping this would work, but I am having no luck with this myself. Had a problem with my mi2s overheating in the charging part (faulty charger I suspect) and had Xiaomi repair it (50 Euros). THey insisted they had to wipe all data, even I begged them not to. Well, I had a CWM backup from 3 months ago, so figured, I would be ok'ish, even if they wipe it.

Now that I got it back, put CMW on it, and copied the complete backup from the laptop back to the phones directory (root>clockworkmod>backup>date>) but when I try to backup it tells me it will fail due to a missing backup files:

Backup files are missing:
.android_secure.ext4.tar
.android_secure.ext4.tar.a

Attempting to restore any of these will fail

continue anyway?

I know this is not going to answer your question, but I thought I post this here, as its something along the same lines. Perhaps its something with the '.' at the beginning of the file, as this would normally be invisible on the Apple Mac (where I had the backup).

Just out of curiosity, is this right? I have the following files in the backup, but three are all zero bytes in size:

data.ext4.tar.a
system.ext4.tar.a
data.ext4.tar.b
boot.img
recovery.img
recovery.log
cache.ext4.tar.a
nandroid.md5
cache.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)
data.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)
system.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)

seems a bit odd… anyone knows whats happening here!?

I was hoping this would work, but I am having no luck with this myself. Had a problem with my mi2s overheating in the charging part (faulty charger I suspect) and had Xiaomi repair it (50 Euros). THey insisted they had to wipe all data, even I begged them not to. Well, I had a CWM backup from 3 months ago, so figured, I would be ok'ish, even if they wipe it.

Now that I got it back, put CMW on it, and copied the complete backup from the laptop back to the phones directory (root>clockworkmod>backup>date>) but when I try to backup it tells me it will fail due to a missing backup files:

Backup files are missing:
.android_secure.ext4.tar
.android_secure.ext4.tar.a

Attempting to restore any of these will fail

continue anyway?

I know this is not going to answer your question, but I thought I post this here, as its something along the same lines. Perhaps its something with the '.' at the beginning of the file, as this would normally be invisible on the Apple Mac (where I had the backup).

Just out of curiosity, is this right? I have the following files in the backup, but three are all zero bytes in size:

data.ext4.tar.a
system.ext4.tar.a
data.ext4.tar.b
boot.img
recovery.img
recovery.log
cache.ext4.tar.a
nandroid.md5
cache.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)
data.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)
system.ext4.tar (zero bytes size)

seems a bit odd… anyone knows whats happening here!?

Open nandroid.md5 and remove missing parts.

Hi,
My old mi2s died (well its still working but screen is inresponsive since its screen is trashed) during a motorcycle fall / slide but I

What happened to your old MI2s. Is it for sale?

What happened to your old MI2s. Is it for sale?
Lies around died; put in a new screen but apparently broke something on the motherboard I think but I'm still in testing... Not for sale sadly :) want to fix it myself and use it as testing device. Srry