Newbie Question: Switch to Weekly EU ROM

chrrit

Members
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,

I am a MIUI newbie and using a MiMix 2S on Global Stable ROM.

I am thinking to switch to the weekly EU ROM. I saw the tutorials, and I think I will manage to do it BUT:

when I want to update with another weekly EU ROM (so when I want to update), will I loose my personal data and have to restore again and again?

By the way how do you update and restore your data?

Thanks

@chrrit: You have to do a clean flash with FORMAT DATA, when you switch from Global to eu-ROM. And backup & restore you can make with TWRP.
The weekly updates you can make right away with updater app or TWRP, no need for clean flash (unless it is a change of Android base).
But a backup is always recommended before flashing. Small issues after flashing most times can be solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache.

Reactions: chrrit
@MeiGuddet: thanks for your response! and this clean flash with format data is part of the normal procedure as in the tutorials or do i have to do that outside the tutorials? which app will perform this for me? miflash?

You can flash eu-ROM only with TWRP, so format data is to be done with TWRP. At the moment it's normal procedure (but not mentioned in all tutorials) when switching from official Xiaomi ROM tu eu in order to remove encryption.

Reactions: chrrit
Some TWRP versions for several xiaomi phones are provided with an option to decrypt the encrypted data partition. If this option is available this saves a lot of work. If not you can simply restart TWRP and format the data partition afterward.