No more app search on Android 12 ?

Nontenda

Members
Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm in fullscreen mode (so no button on the bottom), usually when I made a bottom to top gesture it opens a menu with last apps launched and a search bar for finding apps.
Now on Android 12 it just launches the google search.

Is there any way to search for Apps on Android 12 ?
I'm on a Mi10.

Thank's in advance for anyone who may help :)

---------------------
EDIT :
Workaround solution is to use -1 Screen (in settings) as App Vault..
But it does not make the search bar for app during the swipe bottom-up on home screen.

Last edited:
Nope. None.
The prehistoric Search app we were using isn't compatible with Android 12.

Reactions: JiaiJ
Nope. None.
OK thanks for you answer. I guess I need to change my launcher in that case.
By the way thank you for this wonderful rom :) Using xiaomi.eu since 3 to 4 years and I enjoyed your work everyday.

OK thanks for you answer. I guess I need to change my launcher in that case.
By the way thank you for this wonderful rom :) Using xiaomi.eu since 3 to 4 years and I enjoyed your work everyday.
Nope. None.
I quickly wrote a small application that returns the lost functionality

Attachments

• photo_2022-03-07_06-17-30.jpg
    photo_2022-03-07_06-17-30.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 605
  • photo_2022-03-07_06-13-49.jpg
    photo_2022-03-07_06-13-49.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you!

You're a Rockstar!

It may be silly to others, but I considered writing off Miui and Xiaomi for good without this functionality. I open 99% of Apps this way and missing this functionality was a dealbreaker.

(Coincidentally I got a massively discounted Samsung phone from my carrier and OneUI 4 finally has a fantastic swipe-up search. If it wasn't for their horrible battery life...)

One question: Could you also include contacts into your search app? That's the other thing I used extensively.

Thank you thank you thank you!

You're a Rockstar!

It may be silly to others, but I considered writing off Miui and Xiaomi for good without this functionality. I open 99% of Apps this way and missing this functionality was a dealbreaker.

(Coincidentally I got a massively discounted Samsung phone from my carrier and OneUI 4 finally has a fantastic swipe-up search. If it wasn't for their horrible battery life...)

One question: Could you also include contacts into your search app? That's the other thing I used extensively.
I'm glad I could help you. I improved this a bit and added a history of running applications and the ability to search the Internet (Yandex and Google, the switches are hidden under the keyboard :) ).
At the moment I'm thinking how best to speed up the launch (make loading the list instantaneous), I think this is the most important thing in this kind of applications and I didn't really like the miui12 search in this regard

It is possible to search for contacts, but since I have never used such functionality, what should happen when choosing a contact?

Also a link to the source code: https://github.com/mark99i/AppSearcher

Attachments

• photo_2022-03-09_02-39-31.jpg
    photo_2022-03-09_02-39-31.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 300
  • photo_2022-03-09_02-39-30.jpg
    photo_2022-03-09_02-39-30.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Reactions: raph84 and JiaiJ
It is possible to search for contacts, but since I have never used such functionality, what should happen when choosing a contact?

I believe the original search offered a context menu (Call, SMS, Whatsapp) when clicking a contact, my current phone just opens the contact in the default app when clicking it (which allows me to call from there) and may be easier to add?

Reactions: mark99
I believe the original search offered a context menu (Call, SMS, Whatsapp) when clicking a contact, my current phone just opens the contact in the default app when clicking it (which allows me to call from there) and may be easier to add?
yes, the contact card can be opened, I also conducted several tests about finding contacts and so far the problem is that loading ~100-150 contacts takes almost 5 seconds on my poco f3 and it's very long. so far, I'm working on optimizing the startup time. as soon as the build is ready, I will write here in the topic

Thanks man! Great work, you are a really life saver!
Thanks very much!
If I could suggest a feature would be finding the app you search directly on the home, so the search route you the position.

Thanks very much!
If I could suggest a feature would be finding the app you search directly on the home, so the search route you the position.
What you're suggesting is not even possible. A third party app can't tell a system app (the MIUI launcher) what to do...

Thanks very much!
I added a search by contacts (you need to turn on the switch at the bottom and give permission), as well as a cache, which allowed the application to open instantly.
The only drawback of the cache is that if you add a contact or an application after creating the cache, it will not be in the list, but the "Reload cache" button will appear. Also, the first launch will be longer than usual
I described more details here: https://github.com/mark99i/AppSearcher

> finding the app you search directly on the home
I doubt it's possible

Upd: I still decided to add an explicit cache switch (v1.6). if you frequently install/uninstall apps and don't use contact search, it may interfere

Attachments

• AppSearcher.v1.6-release.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I added a search by contacts (you need to turn on the switch at the bottom and give permission), as well as a cache, which allowed the application to open instantly.
The only drawback of the cache is that if you add a contact or an application after creating the cache, it will not be in the list, but the "Reload cache" button will appear. Also, the first launch will be longer than usual
I described more details here: https://github.com/mark99i/AppSearcher

> finding the app you search directly on the home
I doubt it's possible

Upd: I still decided to add an explicit cache switch (v1.6). if you frequently install/uninstall apps and don't use contact search, it may interfere
The last version with cache switch made the app faster. Good choice!