No optical stab in portrait mode Mi 11Pro/12.5.11.0 stable

MDN79

Members
Jul 14, 2021
Hi to all.
I see the issue that switching to protrait mode on main module disables optical stabilization - camera's yey is not moving, but it moves in photo mode.
I can't remember if it is the same on Chinese ROM, the phone came to me with 12.5.4 Chinese ROM.
Photos in portrait mode are less saturated, with more noise (artifacts) by the way.
Can anyone check behaviour on 12.5.10.0 or 12.5.11.0 stable ROM from xiaomi.eu and China ROM? Is optical stab active or not in portrait mode? Do you see les saturation and noises?
Developers, please check if something wrong in the ROMs. Isn't it XEU ROMs issue?

Thanks!

Hi to all.
I see the issue that switching to protrait mode on main module disables optical stabilization - camera's yey is not moving, but it moves in photo mode.
I can't remember if it is the same on Chinese ROM, the phone came to me with 12.5.4 Chinese ROM.
Photos in portrait mode are less saturated, with more noise (artifacts) by the way.
Can anyone check behaviour on 12.5.10.0 or 12.5.11.0 stable ROM from xiaomi.eu and China ROM? Is optical stab active or not in portrait mode? Do you see les saturation and noises?
Developers, please check if something wrong in the ROMs. Isn't it XEU ROMs issue?

Thanks!
Optical stabilization (OIS) is hardware enabled. Regardless of which rom you are running, it will still be the same as they all access the same lenses across the board.

Optical stabilization (OIS) is hardware enabled. Regardless of which rom you are running, it will still be the same as they all access the same lenses across the board.
Then disabled optostab is made on purpose?
Check if it works in portrait mode on main module and you will see no working optostab. Xiaomi made it for some reason?

Check if it works in portrait mode on main module and you will see no working optostab. Xiaomi made it for some reason?
I don't think optical stabilisation can be disabled, as Jimnasium suggested before.

I am not a technical expert, but as far as I understand, portrait mode merge data from different images (TOF, another lens, or previous image from the same lens) in order to create the bokeh effect. So it makes perfect sense that it would not be stabilized.

Last edited:
Which ever version of software you use, it won't change your hardwae configuration. Imagine your lights at home, software is like the on/off switch, whereas, OIS is part of your electrical circuitry (hardware in the walls). The on/off switch can regulate certain things, but it doesn't change your wiring in your house.

These are the camera specifications listed by Dxomark:
Key camera specifications:
  • Primary: 50 MP 1/1.12″ Quad-Bayer sensor, 1.4μm, 24 mm-equivalent lens with f/1.95 aperture, Dual Pixel Pro AF and OIS
  • Ultra-wide: 48 MP 1/2-inch sensor, 0.8μm, 128° lens with f/2.2 aperture
  • Tele: 48 MP 1/2-inch sensor, 0.8μm, 120 mm-equivalent lens with f/4.1 aperture, OIS
  • LED flash
  • Video: 8K 4320p at 24 fps, 4K 2160p at 30/60 fps (2160p/60 fps tested)
  • Multispectral color temperature sensor
  • ToF sensor
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chipset
Unless the camera uses the ultra wide lens to take potrait shots, it has OIS. Both the primary and telephoto lens have OIS.

Which ever version of software you use, it won't change your hardwae configuration.
That's clear. I wondered why portrait mode doesn't use optical stabilization if it's normal.
And suggestion of JiaiJ is very wise. Main module is assisted with others, so it can be a reason not to use optical stabiisation.

That's clear. I wondered why portrait mode doesn't use optical stabilization if it's normal.
And suggestion of JiaiJ is very wise. Main module is assisted with others, so it can be a reason not to use optical stabiisation.
It does if portrait mode uses either the telephoto or primary shooter and apparently it is using the primary lens. This is according to GSMarena: "Portrait mode on the Mi 11 Ultra is handled by the main camera at a single magnification that we eyeballed to be around 1.4x zoom, or 33-35mm. Detail remains great despite the cropping action and dynamic range is nice and wide "

Jimnasium
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you regarding lens. Portrait mode always use main sensor to captire, but can be assisted by other lens.
Gsmarena is wrong in estimation. Portrait mode uses around 50 mm lenght, it's about 2.0x magnification.
It's easy to check.

Jimnasium
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you regarding lens. Portrait mode always use main sensor to captire, but can be assisted by other lens.
Gsmarena is wrong in estimation. Portrait mode uses around 50 mm lenght, it's about 2.0x magnification.
It's easy to check.
OK, Portrait mode does indeed use the main sensor and which lens uses the main sensor and which lens have OIS, based on the reporting from Dxomark?

Jimnasium

OK, Portrait mode does indeed use the main sensor and which lens uses the main sensor and which lens have OIS, based on the reporting from Dxomark?
I own just Mi 11 Pro, it shares only main Samsung sensor with 11 Ultra.
Mi 11 Pro has main (wide) and tele lenses with with OIS, that's for sure.
Mi 11 Ultra also has wide and tele with IOS.
But I suggest the OIS is quite different on the lenses and it's impossible to use two lenses for portrait w/o any issues with OIS, so Xiaomi decided to make this mode w/o optical stabilization.