No wifi 5Ghz in my Mipad 4 with miui EU

Apr 22, 2017
I flashed an EU ROM in my Mipad 4 and it does not identify wifi 5Ghz band. Only 2.4 Ghz. Is there solution for such problem?
I tried two ROMs. None works. Thanks.

I've got the same problem, cannot see 5Ghz wifi SSIDs. So I tried to flash firmware from this link.
Then I can connect 5Ghz wifi SSID again.

I flashed an EU ROM in my Mipad 4 and it does not identify wifi 5Ghz band. Only 2.4 Ghz. Is there solution for such problem?

I am not sure if you solved your issue or not, but I had a similar issue this week (12/19/18) with my MiPad4+ that is LTE. ( you never mentioned if you have the LTE or regular version of the smaller MiPad4). The LTE Version of this, and perhaps the non LTE MiPad 4 (someone else who owns needs to confirm), only will turn on the 5Ghz if a Sim card is inserted. The Sim card is used to confirm your locale. (Non-LTE should have no sim card slot at all; so locale can never be confirmed?) {LTE means cellular radios, but it also has GPS too- extra bonus; where non LTE version has no GPS :-( }
The locale tells the ROM which bands can and cannot be used and restricts 5GHZ and the associated bands allowed.

I just had this issue on the weekly builds w/ my MiPad4+ under 8.12.13 and Igor, a Dev, made a small flash file for me exclusive to the MiPad4.
Now my 5ghz works without a Sim card! :)
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/8-12-13.48142/page-18#post-462877

The reasoning behind this is that each country has its own set of rules for the 5ghz spectrum. (Cough, CHINA, Cough)
Remember, this device (MiPad4/4+) is intended for China only and not the EU, Africa, South America, NorthAmerica, etc.
The Dev's use the China Stable Rom as their starting point so these Wifi rules are hard baked into the ROM with the thought that China's wifi rules apply and only China rules (CN wifi channels).

Igor, Dev, said that moving forward from Build 8.12.13, and beyond, the fix I requested for the MiPad4/+ (with LTE), would be made permanent to allow 5ghz wifi to be used without a Sim card.

(See post #13 below regarding Xiaomi killing off Channels 36-64)

I hope this helps others in the future.

@Geraldo A da Silva- Have you tried the weekly builds? Which specific device do you own?
If you have non-LTE version.....this would add a new issue that with no sim card you cannot confirm locale and so you will never get 5ghz.
I would be interested to know if you try 8.12.13 and no 5ghz wifi, then we should alert Igor of the issue for non-LTE devices. Locale should be established from something else then, like an option in settings menu....

As a side note* My MiPad4+ came with a "fake" global Rom 9.6.27 and 5ghz wifi was working out of the box. There was no root, so I didn't check to see what was up in the Build.prop file for locale. I can only assume that the Ali Xpress shop i bought from was savvy and set my Locale to USA for me.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you solved your issue or not, but I had a similar issue this week with my MiPad4+ that is LTE. ( you never mentioned if you have the LTE or regular version of the smaller MiPad4). The LTE Version of this, and perhaps the non LTE MiPad 4 (someone else who owns needs to confirm), only will turn on the 5Ghz if a Sim card is inserted. The Sim card is used to confirm your locale. (Non-LTE should have no sim card slot at all; so locale can never be confirmed?) {LTE means cellular radios, but it also has GPS too- extra bonus; where non LTE version has no GPS :-( }
The locale tells the ROM which bands can and cannot be used and restricts 5GHZ and the associated bands allowed.

I just had this issue on the weekly builds w/ my MiPad4+ under 8.12.13 and Igor, a Dev, made a small flash file for me exclusive to the MiPad4.

The reasoning behind this is that each country has its own set of rules for the 5ghz spectrum. (Cough, CHINA, Cough)
Remember, this device is intended for China only and not the EU, Africa, South America, NorthAmerica, etc.
The Dev's use the China Stable Rom as their starting point so these Wifi rules are hard baked into the ROM with the thought that China's wifi rules apply and only China rules.

Igor made it seem that moving forward from 8.12.13 the fix, I requested for the MiPad4/+ (with LTE), would be made permanent to allow 5ghz wifi to be used without a Sim card.

@Geraldo A da Silva- Have you tried the weekly builds? Which specific device do you own?
If you have non-LTE version.....this would add a new issue that with no sim card you cannot confirm locale and so you will never get 5ghz.
I would be interested to know if you try 8.12.13 and no 5ghz wifi, then we should alert Igor of the issue for non-LTE devices. Locale should be established from something else then, like an option in settings menu....

As a side note* My MiPad4+ came with a "fake" global Rom 9.6.27 and 5ghz wifi was working out of the box. There was no root, so I didn't check to see what was up in the Build.prop file for locale. I can only assume that the Ali Xpress shop i bought from was savvy and set my Locale to USA for me.
Lte and wifi version works fine in 5G.
As they already mention just change the Channel of your router to a lower one 30 /40 /50.
Its works fine.
No need to reinstall rom or diferent one or any patch, or the sim inserted. Just try diferent channel
74c05476f7a5f55b6bca4259f582ab19.jpg

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Lte and wifi version works fine in 5G.As they already mention just change the Channel of your router to a lower one 30 /40 /50. Its works fine. No need to reinstall rom or different one or any patch, or the sim inserted. Just try different channel

There are explicit reasons why you would not want to change channels for 5ghz to a low channel number; primarily the broadcast power of 23dbm on channels 36-64 in CN and 36-48 in USA. Given that, I want to use channel 161 for 30dbm TX pwr (technically up to 36dbm, but max pwr to the antenna=30dbm) and for 160 mhz wide channels for Wave-2 AC speeds (3466mbps). Using a low channel cuts the signal strength to <1/4 the power it could be sending; every 3db is half the power. 5ghz is already poor at going through walls, I want to give it the strongest power I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/maximum-wifi-transmission-power-country/
http://www.mcsindex.com/

***********************EDIT Below 12/21/18********************************
It would appear that Regulations for the EU have changed and Band 1 and Band 2 of the 5ghz spectrum is being limited and so Xiaomi is simply dumping all support of band 1 frequencies as of 12/19/18.
https://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4944909&extra=page=1&mobile=2

– 5 GHz channel 36 to 64: 200 mW (23 dBm) (Band 1)
– 5 GHz channel 100 to 140: 1000 mW (30 dBm) (Band 2)
– 5 GHz channel 155 to 171: 4000 mW (36 dBm) (Band 3) (Some countries have Channel 172)

Here is a full list of supported countries, the spectrum, and max power allowed by routers:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt

you'll need to use the wikipedia link above to confirm the spectrum range back to a channel number.

Side note:For Russia, there doesn't appear to be an explicit 5ghz list.
This link, same as above, is a pretty good condensed listing by country of what channel you can use:

Last edited:
Reactions: droople and cobben
I am not sure if you solved your issue or not, but I had a similar issue this week with my MiPad4+ that is LTE. ( you never mentioned if you have the LTE or regular version of the smaller MiPad4). The LTE Version of this, and perhaps the non LTE MiPad 4 (someone else who owns needs to confirm), only will turn on the 5Ghz if a Sim card is inserted. The Sim card is used to confirm your locale. (Non-LTE should have no sim card slot at all; so locale can never be confirmed?) {LTE means cellular radios, but it also has GPS too- extra bonus; where non LTE version has no GPS :-( }

Remember, this device is intended for China only and not the EU, Africa, South America, NorthAmerica, etc.
The Dev's use the China Stable Rom as their starting point so these Wifi rules are hard baked into the ROM with the thought that China's wifi rules apply and only China rules.

Igor made it seem that moving forward from 8.12.13 the fix, I requested for the MiPad4/+ (with LTE), would be made permanent to allow 5ghz wifi to be used without a Sim card.

If I'm using xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_V10.1.1.0.ODJCNFI_v10-8.1 can I upgrade (dirty flash) to xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_8.12.13_v10-8.1? I assume xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_8.12.13_v10-8.1 is newer despite the numbering as its later date / MIUI 10.2?

re: Sim Card and wifi, I am using wifi only model BUT on stock I was running fine. So I know for a fact that you don't need SIM card to enable 5Ghz wifi, that would be so stupid. I only started encountering this issue after flashing xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_V10.1.1.0.ODJCNFI_v10-8.1.

Last edited:
If I'm using xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_V10.1.1.0.ODJCNFI_v10-8.1 can I upgrade (dirty flash) to xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_8.12.13_v10-8.1? I assume xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_8.12.13_v10-8.1 is newer despite the numbering as its later date / MIUI 10.2?

re: Sim Card and wifi, I am using wifi only model BUT on stock I was running fine. So I know for a fact that you don't need SIM card to enable 5Ghz wifi, that would be so stupid. I only started encountering this issue after flashing xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_V10.1.1.0.ODJCNFI_v10-8.1.

I'm using the weekly beta's and I updated mine last night to 8.12.20. everything is fine....If you want "bleeding edge" go with a beta....if you're worried about errors, stick to the stable builds. I was very happy with the 8.12.13 build, give the new one a try=8.12.20

you should be able to dirty flash it just fine.

*edit*
Nvm lol just realized why.. Phones are portable therefore one can use them as wifi routers / Hotspots outdoors.

Derp

Still it doesn't make any ******* sense why they'd permit a device from connecting to an existing 5ghz wifi on band 1 and 2.

Last edited:
This is all very suspect on xiaomis part.

Nothing has changed recently concerning 5ghz wifi bands in the eu. The relevant stuff about indoor use of channels 1-64 is from 2005. And their justification regarding 5ghz wifi Hotspots Bands is just outright lazy. All they'd have to do is limit output to 200mW, much like every other wifi device being sold here has for years.

I think tomskis initial assumption was correct. They're just starting to enforce China regulations for all regions for some retarded reason..
Actually, no. If you do a adb logcat | grep Regulatory while activating/deactivating a hotspot, you'll see something like this -
If you're in the EU:
Code:
D wpa_supplicant: nl80211: Regulatory information - country=PL (DFS-ETSI)
If you're in the USA:
Code:
D wpa_supplicant: nl80211: Regulatory information - country=US (DFS-FCC)
So the regulatory domain is set properly, but became stricter for portable devices.

Reactions: cobben
Yeah I realized the difference between an access point and a mobile phone midway through my rant.. Heh

I'm using the weekly beta's and I updated mine last night to 8.12.20. everything is fine....If you want "bleeding edge" go with a beta....if you're worried about errors, stick to the stable builds. I was very happy with the 8.12.13 build, give the new one a try=8.12.20

you should be able to dirty flash it just fine.

So you can dirty flash weekly [xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_8.12.13_v10-8.1] over stable [xiaomi.eu_multi_MIPAD4_V10.1.1.0.ODJCNFI_v10-8.1] ? good to know. Its confusing because they use totally different numbering.

[SOLVED] I changed my 5GHz selection channel from auto to manual mode (example: Channel 60) in my Router Configuration, and 60 seconds later, my MiPAD 4 is able to recognize the 5Ghz SSID and connect.

As You can see, 5G is showed!

Article in Spanish in my Blog

regards
Screenshot_2018-12-22-17-03-07-587_com.android.settings.png

Also happened to me. Actually I thought Mi Pad 4 doesn't support 5G. After latest update (v9.2.21), 5G network was detected automatically.

I've made some tests today and aparently, the max channel supported by the Mi Pad 4 in 5Ghz network is 128 (5640MHz). My Galaxy A8 can reach higher channels, so i just set a lower one in my router, and now everything is on 5G .

For me it works but I had to change access point 5 GHz bandwidth from 80Mz (which seems not working for Mi Pad 4) to 40 or 20 MHz.
Note that in this case I do not have a SIM in my mi pad 4 LTE. When the SIM was in, it was working automatically

There are explicit reasons why you would not want to change channels for 5ghz to a low channel number; primarily the broadcast power of 23dbm on channels 36-64 in CN and 36-48 in USA. Given that, I want to use channel 161 for 30dbm TX pwr (technically up to 36dbm, but max pwr to the antenna=30dbm) and for 160 mhz wide channels for Wave-2 AC speeds (3466mbps). Using a low channel cuts the signal strength to <1/4 the power it could be sending; every 3db is half the power. 5ghz is already poor at going through walls, I want to give it the strongest power I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
http://www.mcsindex.com/

***********************EDIT Below 12/21/18********************************
It would appear that Regulations for the EU have changed and Band 1 and Band 2 of the 5ghz spectrum is being limited and so Xiaomi is simply dumping all support of band 1 frequencies as of 12/19/18.
https://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4944909&extra=page=1&mobile=2

– 5 GHz channel 36 to 64: 200 mW (23 dBm) (Band 1)
– 5 GHz channel 100 to 140: 1000 mW (30 dBm) (Band 2)
– 5 GHz channel 155 to 171: 4000 mW (36 dBm) (Band 3) (Some countries have Channel 172)

Here is a full list of supported countries, the spectrum, and max power allowed by routers:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/tree/db.txt

you'll need to use the wikipedia link above to confirm the spectrum range back to a channel number.

Side note:For Russia, there doesn't appear to be an explicit 5ghz list.
This link, same as above, is a pretty good condensed listing by country of what channel you can use:
Hi Tom,
Great post. So the only solution is changing the channel on my router?
Cheers